Nvidia and Valve team up for a bundle of free VR games

Gerbils, we bring good tidings. Let's say you have plans to buy an HTC Vive. Assuming you do, and that you're also going to buy a desktop, laptop, or graphics card with a Nvidia GTX 1060, 1070, or 1080 GPU inside, you're in luck. The green has teamed up with Valve to offer three high-profile VR titles for the princely sum of zero dollars. The promotion applies to new purchases of a bundle including a headset and a high-end GeForce card or system, "at participating retailers, e-tailers, and system builders." So far, that means Microsoft and Newegg.

Let's take a look at the games on offer. Raw Data is a futuristic shooter made by newcomer developers Survios. The title has received high praise by players and press alike for both its action and ambience. Next up is Serious Sam VR, which really needs no introduction. Murder and mayhem all around you… literally. Finally, there's Sports Bar VR (known as Pool Nation VR on PC), which plays exactly like the name implies: players get a virtual bar with a selection of games like pool, air hockey, and darts. There's multiplayer support on tap, too, so you can play with your friends.

The full set of games would run you up a cool $100, but they're completely and totally free if you're covered by the promotion. When you get your coupon, you can redeem it easily at the GeForce site.

• hasseb64

There are no free lunches

• GrimDanfango

[quote<]Finally, there's Sports Bar VR (known as Pool Nation VR on PC)[/quote<] Err... what platform [b<][i<]is[/i<][/b<] this on, if not PC?

• VincentHanna

PS4

Microsoft and Newegg?

Why would anyone buy their Vive from either of those places? Newegg is slightly more understandable, but at least in the EU it makes far more sense to get your Vive direct from HTC.

Also, two of those three games are in beta still and the one that’s released is only €14.99 anyway. Seems like a lot of hype and $1500 outlay to get a couple of unfinished freebies and a ~$20 VR pool game.

• Wonders

[quote<]The full set of games would run you up a cool $100[/quote<] [quote<]a couple of unfinished freebies and a ~$20 VR pool game[/quote<] The latter comment was misleading and not a fair summary. [quote<]$1500[/quote<] The 1070 and 1060 are covered as well, so it's more like $1000. [quote<]Seems like a lot of hype[/quote<] Agree with you 100%. But your "anti-hype" security system is overaggressive. Relax a bit! Book a massage. (Seriously, do it.)

• ImSpartacus

If I’m investing nearly a grand in a vr headset, then you better believe I’m going to have a fearsome machine to power it.

• VincentHanna

Perhaps…

But at the same time, most of us would get the GPU anyway. At best, your decision to buy into VR is going to push you up 1-2 eschelons from the midrange market. [b<] More likely,[/b<] if you are the type to spend ~$1000 on VR gen 1.0 then you are probably also going to be looking at the "fearsome GPU" whether to buy into VR, or 4k, or 2k 144hz or whatever, and the GPU represents a net investment of Zero in VR, and is actually just a system upgrade that you would have done anyway.

• SHOES

Will it work Wonders?

Two of those are early-access unfinished products. Unfinished freebies is unfair. Let’s call them unfinished-suddenly-not-free-anymore-despite-still-being-beta-now-that-they-re-on-steam-early-access-all-of-a-sudden. The pool game is €14.99 on Steam. That’s all it’s worth, because that’s exactly what it’ll cost you to buy, if you [i<]wanted[/i<] to buy it. In case the multiple currencies in my post weren't enough of a clue - I'll tell you that I'm not buying in US dollars. so, firstly: The Vive is €900, and a GTX 1080 is €700, so that's €1600. If you can afford a €900 headset you're not going to cheap out on a GPU, the single most important part of the whole setup. Even if you drop down to a GTX 1070 it's still €1450 euros for just the GPU and Vive. secondly: The US is the only country on the planet where people don't think about sales tax in their price comparisons. Y'all have to pay it so stop pretending to the rest of the world that it doesn't exist in your discussions, just because your indidual states can't agree on exactly how much to charge! Prices in Europe are universally 20% higher because of sales tax. I get it, you don't like my criticism. And? It's still valid! They've magicked up an "enticing bundle" with the tagline of "free games, save a small amount of money" for people buying hardware so expensive that the cost of things is clearly of very low importance. That's just stupid marketing and I believe I'm justified in calling out that stupidity. Could I do a better? Of course I bloody could, but they're not paying me to so I'll keep getting paid handsomeley to spend company money on VR kit and then mess about with it in interesting ways.

• Andrew Lauritzen

Always nice to see game bundles, but I dispute the use of the term “free” here…

• ImSpartacus

Yeah, this appears to just be a game bundle. Using “free” is a little disingenuous. I admittedly thought this was a straight up free game offer from the headline.

I’ve recently bought two Vives and a couple of 10-series GPUs.

Nope.jpg – even though I’ve already doubled down on exactly the hardware in this promtion, I jumped through slightly different hoops, slightly too early so I’m not applicable.