Radeon Software 16.12.2 smooths some wrinkles

The first update to AMD's Radeon ReLive software is here, in the form of the recently-released version 16.12.2. This new version can be described as a bugfix release, but in that regard, it's quite a big one. Major problems fixed include driver installation failures, issues with FreeSync on games in borderless fullscreen mode, and a problem with Chrome not being able to use accelerated VP9 decoding.

As you might expect, the ReLive streaming app had a few growing pains that the 16.12.2 release addresses. ReLive should no longer record videos with de-synced audio, and mouse movement should be smooth in recorded videos now. Instant Replay should enable itself again when it gets disabled by content protection, too. Multi-GPU configurations now ought to properly drop the non-primary graphics cards to low-power states when ReLive is enabled but not in use.

Of the outstanding known issues, the most pertinent is probably that games running in borderless fullscreen mode may still have flickering or crashing with FreeSync enabled if there are other applications running on the primary screen. CS:GO and World of Warcraft may flicker or run poorly in FreeSync mode when first launched, but AMD says an that a quick Alt+Tab to move in and out of the game should function as a temporary workaround. ReLive still has a few quirks, too. Check the full release notes if you want the the complete list of fixes, or go ahead and grab the latest release from AMD's download page.

• YukaKun

Holy cow. I might be one of the lucky few then. I haven’t experienced any of those luckily!

And I also found a fix for the stupid Freesync corruption in Payday2, yay! It wasn’t the drivers, but the game detecting the settings incorrectly. Weird…

Cheers!

• jts888

ReLive is mostly good in my experience, but there were a few regressions in its first release, perhaps most notably the cursor corruption bug.

Hope these all get ironed out again soon!

I really like how festive and colorful AMD made the installer.

[url<]https://twitter.com/tvsben/status/811339203841839104[/url<]

To be clear, this is an actual system in my office right now. Core i5-4590, 16GB DDR3, Gigabyte Z97 board, and an Asus RX 470. Downloaded 16.12.2, ran the installer, and got that after about 2 minutes of churning. Had to hard-reboot, use the AMD driver cleaner, and try again to get it to take.

• R3dneck

Way to find the silver lining….. 😉

Trying to put a positive spin on everything this holiday season.

• Kretschmer

Hoping this fixes issues that I have with Doom crashing in Vulkan, as well as how touch-and-go Freesync is in many games (Overwatch, I’m looking at you).

• rechicero

Any news about absurd clocks with 2 monitors (even when the secondary is on standby or the primary unplugged)?

If you guys (tech press) don’t make a little noise, it will be never fixed.

For example, in a 7950, just plugging a TV (on standby) means going from 300-150 to 500-1250 Mhz (GPU and memory), 15-20 degrees and the fan starting to be hassle every X minutes. Just with one active desktop.

Simply absurd.

• chuckula

It looks like multi-monitor setups have these persistent bugs for both Nvidia and AMD.

• rechicero

Because nobody seems to talk about them. I just notice this by chance, a couple weeks ago, when I saw the clock climbing when I plugged on the TV. They just don’t care because we don’t notice. But it’s a HUGE difference in noise and temps (don’t know about power consumption).

But if the press start making noise, I’m sure they’ll fix them.

I’m not the press, but these are my 2 cents.

PS: Does that happen with Intel IGP? (If not, I’m going to regret my “smart” decision of going for a Xeon instead of the equivalent i7… and could be a tipping point when changing my CPU, even if Zen is as good as they make it seem)

• mesyn191

They get talked about all the time.

They don’t get fixed because fixing them is damn hard to do apparently and/or involves breaking other things.

Also they aren’t particularly big deals either. Yes it’d be nice if power consumption stayed low but nothing actually breaks when the GPU runs at full speed either.

• rechicero

But then we praise NVIDIA for being more power efficient… Anyway, the real problem is the noise. Temps keep rising until the fan gets annoying for a few seconds and then the cycle begins again.

And yes, but they get talked by ppl in forum. It’s somethings that doesn’t appear in reviews and that’s what they really give a damn. It’s like stuttering in gaming. It was a classical with CF/SLI, but they didn’t take it seriously until it started to get reviewed.

• Shobai

Can confirm that I see it with an R9 290 and two monitors. It used to be that I could manually clock the memory [and core] down with previous versions of AMD drivers, then upclock manually when required, but ReLive has removed that option [as far as I can see].

Back in the bad old days, before Crimson, I had profiles set up through the driver that switched between an underclock on one Alt+Shift+Key combo, and stock clocks on another. Crimson removed that feature, though.

I have seen some speculation around the ‘net that the memory clock stays high with multiple monitors because the card needs to be in ‘3D mode’ in order to keep the TMDS clocks sync’d when using combinations of HDMI and DVI connected monitors. I don’t know whether that’s true or not, but given that some of those people report that the problem remains when they use an active DisplayPort adaptor to connect one monitor and HDMI or DVI for the other, I lean towards not.

• Vaughn

I’m also on a dual monitor setup however at 500-1500 clocks from 300-150 I only get a 5c increase in temps and no fan noise because my 7970Ghz is using a G10+H55 Water setup.

if I was still on Air I would be equally angry that this hasn’t been fixed yet.

• Krogoth

I never had an issue with GPU power states and multi-mointor setups (I’m still riding an old-fanged 660Ti and I’m looking for an upgrade in the near-future). The problems that I do see from power states are actually from background application that might be utillzing the GPU that didn’t close down itself and its extensions (Looking at you Window 10 Video player and Media Center Classic….)

Flash and HTML5 (if GPU acceleration is enabled) also utilize the GPU more than simple 2D mode.

• rechicero

I can assure you the difference can be just plugging and unplugging the TV. If I have the TV plugged (and on standbye), 500-1250. If I unplug it, 300-150.

If you’re going to upgrade and this could be a problem, be aware of it. Maybe with the Intel IGP doesnt happen? I can’t tell as I have a Xeon without IGP 🙁

EDIT: Yes, some extensions can have the same effects, and it happens with Chrome too. But that’s a different problem and something that you can fix easily. Having to plug-unplug the TV and the fan ramping when Im watching something on the TV is really annoying and unavoidable for now :-(.

• Krogoth

It is because you are plugging in a TV not a computer monitor. They have different profile settings (by default it goes to limited dynamic color range, assumes audio output via HDMI and doesn’t use [b<]power stages[/b<]) This is an intentional design choice by Nvidia and AMD driver teams.

• AnotherReader

I agree; it’s a longstanding issue. The only AMD GPU that has this licked is [url=http://www.computerbase.de/2016-06/radeon-rx-480-test/9/#diagramm-leistungsaufnahme-des-gesamtsystems-multi-monitor-betrieb<]Fiji[/url<] though in that case it is because of HBM. In fact, for triple monitor setups, the R9 Nano is the best in its class.

• DoomGuy64

I’ve been complaining about this since the Doom update on my 390. AMD doesn’t seem to care about this issue.

It is odd that some people are not affected though, which could explain why we haven’t seen a fix. Complex bug? Firmware? Nobody knows, and AMD either isn’t taking it serious, or doesn’t want to acknowledge a bug they don’t fully understand.

• DoomGuy64

Another annoying bug on the fury is having a random line going through the middle of the screen that can only be fixed by toggling GPU scaling off and on, which specifically affects 1440p freesync monitors.