Lenovo’s ThinkVision displays join the USB Type-C party

Alongside a refresh of its long-running ThinkPad line, Lenovo announced a pair of new displays ahead of CES 2017. The ThinkVision P27h and P24h join the growing market of USB Type-C connected displays and offer super-narrow bezels around IPS panels. The monitor's USB Type-C port is the star of the show, since it has support for USB Power Delivery and is able to juice up connected devices in addition to carrying a video signal.

Image Credit: Tom's Hardware

The P24h clocks in at 23.8" and the P27h has a 27" diagonal. Both monitors pack a 2560×1440 IPS panel with a 6-ms response time. Lenovo says the displays are capable of covering over 99% of the sRGB color space, too. Tom's Hardware notes that both monitors offer up 2 HDMI inputs and 2 DisplayPorts alongside the USB Type-C port. The display also packs a 4-port USB hub. Lenovo hasn't revealed which iteration of USB the hub uses, but we'd venture a guess at it being USB 3.0.

Both displays are set to release in April 2017, with pricing for the P27h set for $329 and the P24h going for $259.

• UberGerbil

It’s the TV manufacturers who need to get on the USB-C train: that way all the Chomecast and Fire Stick types of devices can plug in and get their power and deliver streams through one port without any addition cables. But the TV manufacturers would rather load up their dumb monitors with their own slow and badly-implemented proprietary “OS”es rather than just do what they do best (at admittedly razor-thin margins) and leave the “Smart” to something other than the TV.

• cygnus1

I also prefer the “Smart” thing to be external because I don’t want to upgrade TV’s all the damn time and I don’t want an obsolete or abandoned “Smart” interface making for a frustrating experience 2 to 5 years down the road. The worst I’ve seen so far are the Roku TV’s. There is no way around the Roku interface, it’s even used for switching inputs.

• JosiahBradley

Pretty sure the Chromecast with HDMI 1.4 does get power delivery through the port and I hate HDMI (see entire post history). But it does work and has for years.

• cygnus1

Every Chromecast version I’ve seen has required the use of the separate micro-USB power input to function.

• JosiahBradley

I own the original Chromecast bought a day after release and it’s plugged into my receiver without a power connection. Here is a review from Ars stating such in 2013 [url<]http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2013/08/you-get-the-dongle-you-pay-for-in-googles-chromecast/[/url<]

• cygnus1

Like I said, I’ve never seen it. Didn’t say it didn’t exist. I don’t think MHL equipped HDMI ports are that common, they’re usually micro USB. MHL is not a part of HDMI specs, it’s a separate addition.

There must be a big pile of USB Type-C powered devices coming at CES, because there’s no way everyone is falling all over themselves to make these for MacBook Pros.

$329 is a pretty nice price for the 27″ model, all things considered.

• thrawn

There are already some good examples of laptops that would benefit a lot from this. Some of the clients I have use the current XPS 13 laptops and those have a TB3 port which accepts power input. If this works without stupid driver issues they might get a few.

• cygnus1

Would work wonderfully as a combo monitor/dock for my HP Spectre X360 too and/or the wife’s Retina MacBook.