Intel unveils its full range of desktop and laptop Kaby Lake CPUs

Today marks the debut of Intel's full range of Kaby Lake CPUs for laptops and desktops. Although the star of the show is the Core i7-7700K that we just reviewed, Intel and its partners will also be showcasing 15W and 28W mobile chips with Iris Plus graphics, new mobile Xeons, higher-TDP laptop CPUs, and Core i3, Core i5, and Core i7 desktop CPUs this week at CES.

As we've come to expect from Intel CPU launches, the company has dozens of parts ready to go for next-gen systems, so we'll be covering them in broad categories and noting the highlights. We've included Intel's full data sheets for those who want to see which knobs and switches the company has turned in each part to reach a given price point.

Let's start with the 15W Kaby Lake parts with Iris Plus graphics. Compared to the Skylake U-series processors with Iris graphics before them, these chips all sport minor base and substantial Turbo clock speed boosts. The Iris Plus 640 and Iris Plus 650 branding for these chips' IGPs means that they're all paired with 64MB of eDRAM. All Iris Plus IGPs will have 48 Gen9 execution units.

The same story basically holds for the 28W seventh-gen CPUs with Iris Plus on board. All of these chips have tantalizing clock speed boosts compared to their Skylake brethren, and in thermally-constrained laptops, those boosts could make a substantial difference in performance.

Intel's duo of mobile Kaby Xeons marks our first foray into the 45W TDP range. Like the rest of the Kaby Lake lineup, these chips enjoy substantial clock speed boosts and Kaby's better handling of 4K video encoding with the HEVC and VP9 codecs. The HD Graphics P630 IGP in these parts should come with vendor certifications for professional graphics apps, and they should also boast ECC RAM support.

Consumer-oriented 45W Kaby Lake mobile parts will carry the H, HQ, and HK suffixes. These parts should offer a nice performance boost for gaming laptops, and the Core i7-7820HK will even have unlocked multipliers for overclocking on the go.

Although mobile performance boosts are nice, we imagine most TR readers are most curious to see what Kaby Lake desktop parts will be on offer. In addition to the Core i7-7700K, Intel is releasing two more unlocked Kaby Lake chips: the Core i5-7600K and the Core i3-7350K. While the Core i5-7600K is basically a boosted i5-6600K, the Core i3-7350K marks Intel's first unlocked two-core, four-thread part. That chip's $168-per-1000 pricing puts it in contention with lower-end Core i5s. The Core i7-7700K and Core i5-7600K should be available immediately, while the i3-7350K will be available late this month or in early February.

Clock boosts across the board are nothing to complain about with the full seventh-gen Core lineup, and we expect those boosts will be especially welcome in Intel's mobile chips and lower-end desktop parts. Stay tuned as we explore the implications of Intel's full Kaby lineup for system builders.

• jokinin

I just hope AMD is able to put some competition in the stagnant desktop CPU market.
    Having an i5 3550, I’d have to spend like 400€ to get a 20 to 30% performance boost with an i5 7600K.
    Not really worth it!

• AMDisDEC

Looks OK, but it’s been over a decade since I purchased an Intel or Microsoft product.

LET’s GO, AMD!!! I got a pile of cash waiting on you.

• VincentHanna

the 7700k has a very respectable base clock BEFORE OC. I wonder if there is a sandybridge killer hidden amongst the grain here. In my experience, 5ghz is something of a magic number.

• ptsant

Apparently, efficiency goes down the drain at these overclocks. I’m wondering, anyone measured power consumption at 4.8+ GHz?

Would probably rather get the 6900K or something if I want to output 140W of heat in my room.

• ronch

OK SO WHERE THE HE** IS ZEN?!?!?

• Klimax

Meditating.

• tipoo

[url<]http://scontent.cdninstagram.com/t51.2885-15/s480x480/e35/c0.107.856.856/13402427_1107313299327555_1831622558_n.jpg?ig_cache_key=MTI2OTc4NTAxNDg2NDk4NjA2Ng%3D%3D.2.c[/url<]

i3-7350K looks to be the most interesting new kid on the block by a country mile.

The mobile line looks to be a phone-in effort with basically nothing changed from mobile Skylake other than a 10% clock boost revision from the more mature process and an extra 1000 numberwang added to the model code.

• Airmantharp

You’re forgetting the power efficiency enhancements of the whole refresh, no?

I though that was automatically implied with higher clocks at the same TDP as Skylake?

Kaby is just Sylake revision 2, in the same way that Devil’s Canyon was Haswell Revision 2. We don’t need a whole new series for what is just a refresh; Haswell’s refresh (Devil’s Canyon) wasn’t a whole new codename and product series, the 4770K was superseded by the 4790K and so were several other i7, i5, i3 and Pentium models up to 10 months after Intel switched to the Devil’s canyon packaging and dies.

It had the added bonus of not massively devaluing all the older inventory – Intel and resellers could still sell the old 4770 alongside the newer DC models without having to “clearance sale” with deep discounts on the “old generation” chips.

• NTMBK

Kind of a shame you can’t get those 2 core Iris Plus chips in a socket. Put that in one of those tiny mini STX boards, and you’d have a great HTPC.

• Vhalidictes

It’s almost getting to the point that I’ll be buying a crap i3/i5 laptop for a low-end gaming PC and jam it into a cheap USB docking station and never use the screen.

I’m not sure I could build something better myself for $400, considering those come with storage and RAM included (although usually not enough).

• TEAMSWITCHER

Intel does this and ASUS announces 4 different motherboard product lines (Maximus, TUF, Strix, and Prime) selling over 16 different motherboards with the same Z270 chipset. I think you can safely refer to all this as … “conSKUsing.”

• SuperSpy

I think I speak for everyone when I say…

Yawn.

Hopefully AMD can light a fire under Intel because this is insane.

• designerfx

I think they’re just going to keep cashing this in to let AMD catch up.

• EndlessWaves

“Today marks the debut of Intel’s full range of Kaby Lake CPUs for laptops and desktops”

Uh, I don’t see any sign of the embedded desktop chips, or the pentium/celeron branded models. The GT4 GPU is also missing, although that may have been dropped.

Either way, I’d be surprised if this was the full range of laptop and desktop chips. I’d expect to see more launch in a few months.

• chuckula

My russian hacker pals sent me this leaked transcript of a top-secret Intel meeting

Intel HQ: April 1, 2016

[i<]Krzanich[/i<]: So yeah, I guess next year is boring with that Krogoth Lake thingy? [i<]Corporate Minion[/i<]: That's [b<]KABY[/b<] lake sir! [i<]Krzanich[/i<]: Oh yeah sure Kaby whatever, too bad that as many people can pronounce "Kaby" correctly as can pronounce my last name. Anyhoo, don't those guys over at ADM have some new thing for next year? Project Hen or something? Shouldn't we be more paranoid about it? [i<]Minion[/i<] That's AMD and project Zen sir, and there's good news on that front. Our quantum prediction systems have scanned the multiverse and figured out that for Zen to be a threat, three impossible events not only have to occur this year, but they have to happen within a 7 day period before 2016 is over! First: The Cubs have to win the world series in game 7 and it has to be against the Indians to boot. Second: That Trump guy needs to win the election over Hillary. [i<]Krzanich[/i<]: OK, look, while we know neither of those two things could happen, I'm still worried here that those guys at MDA could pull one out. What's the third impossible event? [i<]Minion[/i<] Alright, you have a point that those two events might just be ridiculously improbable instead of impossible: Third: [url=https://techreport.com/news/30918/we-have-a-winner-in-our-aimpad-r5-giveaway<]SSK has to be randomly selected to win a keyboard at TR.[/url<] [i<]Krzanich[/i<]: That's it? [i<]Minion[/i<]: Oh wait I forgot.... [b<]the keyboard can't have a capslock key![/b<] [i<]Krzanich[/i<]: CRISIS AVERTED! Time for an [url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JfUM5xHUY4M<]EVIL LAUGH![/url<]

Okay, now you won stuff you’ve stepped up your efforts. Bravo, you mad jester!

• Krogoth

Might as well rename “Kaby Lake” to “Krogoth Lake”.

• End User

No need to punish it any further. Kaby Lake is already an epic fail without adding your epic fail to it.

• Krogoth

Kaby Lake is not a failure in any metric. It will still sell like hotcakes because the Intel brand is that strong.

The days of massive leaps in CPU performance and features has been over for almost a decade now. Get used to it.

>Can’t take a stupid joke

• End User

You’re delivery, as per usual, was very poor.

• Krogoth

Lighten up bro.

It is a stupid codename on a silly front-page messaging board.

• AnotherReader

Bravo! You have stepped up your pursuit of punny prose.

• juampa_valve_rde

+10000 LMAO! Just amazing.

• ludi

[quote<]Krzanich: Oh yeah sure Kaby whatever, too bad that as many people can pronounce "Kaby" correctly as can pronounce my last name.[/quote<] Gold. Could even write a sequel exploring the number of people who can pronounce some of Intel's favorite Pacific NW features unless they've lived there or heard it on a conference call: Tualatin (TWALL uh tin) Willamette (will LAM ett) Nehalem (neh HAY lem) Yamhill (YAM hill) Now that they're into bodies of water, let's see if Lake Oswego makes the cut.

• MOSFET

Deschutes was a cool name too. I think Tualatin was my favorite. Mendocino was cool but one of the most obvious.

• Anonymous Coward

Shortly after this post started appearing on the front page, the ads I am served started showing Russian ladies. Cause and effect?

• kvndoom

This is Hall of Fame material right here. I’m not even kidding.

• Welch

Oh Chuckla, this was not TL:DR! Thanks for the laugh.

• BurntMyBacon

…. , … , …..
      I think my brain just exploded.

Three days into 2017 and this might just be the best post of the year.

• not@home

IDK why Intel doesn’t enable VPRO on their K series desktop CPUs? Are they trying to force us to pay for a Xeon? Its not gonna work.

EDIT: I mean Intel VT. IDK if it has that or not.

• morphine

• chuckula

Considering the whackadoodle conspiracy theories that are thrown at VPRO isn’t a good thing it’s not enabled?

• not@home

Sorry guys, I was thinking about Intel VT and and confused it for a second with VPRO. IDK if it has TV or not.

• wizardz

looking at cpu-z screenshots, it looks like it does support VT-x.

• curtisb

They also started supporting VT-d with Skylake on K series parts. They don’t, however, support TXT on the K series parts. vPro and Stable Image Platform will likely never be supported on K series parts as those are business-level features, and the K series are aimed at enthusiasts.

• UberGerbil

[quote<]VT-d with Skylake on K series parts.[/quote<]Huh, did that get any play in the tech press when it happened? If so, I missed it. That's kind of a big deal for a very small subset of enthusiasts/professionals.

• DancinJack

Not really. I remember a few forum threads where it’s been discussed but I don’t remember anyone from the press making a deal out of it.

• srg86

That’s because VT-d on K parts started with Haswell Refresh aka Devil’s Canyon. For example the Core i7 4790K has VT-d support.

That said from what I can tell, universal support for all SKUs of the PCH appears to have started with the 100 series.

• curtisb

You’re right, I overlooked the 4790K on Ark. I looked at the 4770K, but didn’t think to check the 4790K. They didn’t make a big announcement to say it was supported, though. If I’d realized it was supported I would’ve likely gone with an i7 6700K instead of the 6700 I have now.