Dell 27 Ultrathin monitor is svelte and stylish

A lot of nerds (like this newswriter) don't care how their setup looks. Some people demand style, though, and that means that cheap plastic and ungainly wires going everywhere are unacceptable. Dell is clearly catering to the latter crowd with the new 27 Ultrathin monitor it's showing at CES. Engadget's Devindra Hardawar got an early look at the new monitor, which sports a 2560×1440 resolution on its 7mm-thick display.

Dell achieved that thinness by stuffing all the monitor's electronics into its base, in a similar fashion to the Surface Studio. The company claims that the new monitor is "HDR" in some capacity, although reportedly not the same "HDR" you'll find in other monitors or 4K TVs. The monitor's color gamut is apparently a point of pride for Dell, who told Engadget that it can display 99% of the sRGB color space.

Specifications aside, Devindra says the display looks "impressive from every angle." Dell quotes the viewing angles as 178-degrees, meaning the monitor likely uses an IPS panel. The 27 Ultrathin includes a USB Type-C connection, an HDMI 2.0 port, and an audio line out jack. It should be available on March 23 for $700.

• iq100

Dell has become Hell! Replaced half a loaf of defective bread.

[url<]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHmnHV0ko-c[/url<] [url<]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JyxAb70X6Mg[/url<] (not my video, see its comments for scores of users with same problem)

• adisor19

And no TB 3.

In other words, the ugly LG 5K screen is still the only option out there.

Adi

• FuturePastNow

For the cost, I think this thing really ought to have more inputs than an HDMI port and a USB-C. None of the articles about it even mention DisplayPort.

Nope.

The stand is by far the ugliest part of a monitor, and Dell have just made this bigger, clunkier and more obvious, rather than hiding all the electronics inside the monitor at the back.

I bought a gas-lift VESA desk clamp half a decade ago and haven’t looked back. At least if you’re trying to minimise the aesthetic impact of your monitor, work on the goddamn stand first.

[url=https://static.acer.com/up/Resource/Acer/Monitors/XR/Photogallery/20160503/1/XR342CK_gallery_03.png<]This is how you do pretty desk stands[/url<], for those of you without VESA arms. Dell should have learned the mistakes AOC made when they tried this on their 35" curved ultrawide.

• Anton Kochubey

I’m sorry, but that thing you linked looks like a disgrace to the design industry as a whole.

• sonofsanta

Not just a disgrace to the design industry, but a bloody huge inconvenience to my desk space as a whole.

• Krogoth

Who gives a flying hoot about how a monitor mount looks? You should be looking at the screen itself not the silly mount.

Well, 100% agreed which is why I genuinely don’t care about the bezel and am far more interested with the improved functionality of a VESA mount and subsequent reclaimed desk space. This Dell is all about form at the expense of function and yeah – the only thing anyone should really care about is the panel.

• DancinJack

700 bucks for a “standard” 1440p 27″ with no G/Free-sync seems a bit much these days. Sorry Dell. I know “HDR” is there, but if they’re not conforming to at least one of the standards, what do I care?

• Redocbew

An ultrathin monitor that’s not wall mountable? I’m confused…

• Magic Hate Ball

This is aimed at executive’s desks methinks.

Appearances matter to them, and they often have their monitors pointed away from the prying eyes of those visiting their offices.

• Tristan

99% of the sRGB color space have most monitors.
    For HDR it may have 10bit color and increased brightness.

• DancinJack

No, most monitors don’t cover 99 percent of sRGB. I wish that were the case.

And yet for a bog-standard, non-VRR, non-VESA, non-curved, non-4K, 60Hz IPS panel that we’ve had in $200 monitors for half a decade now.

Prad.de and tftcentral.co.uk are full of budget monitors that are tested and meet 100% sRGB. The $700 here is akin to the Ferdinand Porsche desinged Blackberry that cost three times more than its identical twin without the logo and slightly different QWERTY font. You’re paying for the design flair above all else, and in the case of this Dell, my opinion is that the design is bad, dated, and suprsingly ugly for something so minimalist and restrained, which I usually love.

I think I’d rather have something with garish RGBLED bling everywhere OH NO ZAK WHAT HAVE YOU DONE TO ME?!

• RAGEPRO

Heh-heh-heh …

I didn’t really want to put it there in the newspost because I do like Dell monitors but calling this thing “HDR” and then saying “99% of sRGB” in the same breath … I mean, I know strictly speaking they aren’t necessarily related but, well, heh.

I wonder if the final marketing when this thing hits the stores will say HDR anywhere.