Intel’s latest NUCs get a boost from Kaby Lake

Intel continues to refine and update its Next Unit of Computing (NUC) mini-PCs, which take much of the hardware from its Ultrabook line and package it into a tiny square chassis. The major updates for this year's NUCs include the latest seventh-generation Intel Core processors and support for Optane memory.

Intel's Optane memory, co-developed with Micron, is a non-volatile memory technology that's faster than flash but denser than DRAM. It doesn't replace standard RAM in these NUCs, which have two familiar SO-DIMM sockets for up to 32GB of DDR4 at 2133 MT/s. Instead, Optane is meant to offer speedy storage, possibly in an M.2 format, to provide fast boot times and application launching.

This year's NUC models offer a number of processor and storage options. The top of the line NUC7i7BNH is powered by a Core i7-7567U, a dual-core processor with a max turbo clock of 4.0GHz and a 28W TDP. Intel's Iris Plus Graphics 650 IGP runs the display. For storage, there's an M.2 slot and room for a 2.5" HDD or SSD up to 9.5mm tall. All this hardware fits into a chassis that's only 4.5" x 4.4" x 2" (or 11.5 cm x 11. cm x 5.1 cm).

The NUC models with Core i5 or Core i3 CPUs are available in two configurations: one with a slot for a 9.5-mm-tall drive, and a low-profile model that only has room for an M.2 unit. The low-profile variants (whose names end in K rather than H) have similar dimensions, but are only 1.4" (3.5 cm) tall.

The kits labeled NUC7i5BNH and NUC7i5BNK are powered by Intel's Core i5-7260U, a dual core processor with a max turbo clock of 3.4GHz and a 15W TDP. This processor integrates Intel's Iris Plus Graphics 640 unit. The Core i3 variants of this year's NUCs, the NUC7i3BNH and NUC7i3BNK, have Intel's Core i3-7100U processor inside. This dual-core CPU has a base frequency of 2.4GHz, a 15W TDP, and offer up an Intel HD Graphics 620 IGP.

The rest of the feature set in these NUCs remains quite solid. They have dual-array front microphones for taking advantage of Cortana, an HDMI 2.0 port, and Intel's 802.11ac dual-band wireless connectivity. There's also a Thunderbolt 3 port on tap that can offer USB 3.1 and DisplayPort connectivity. A Micro SDXC slot with UHS-I support and Bluetooth 4.2 support round out the list of features.

• tipoo

Does the orange USB port mean anything?

• JustAnEngineer

On my motherboard, that’s the one that’s rated to charge portable devices at full power.

• tipoo

Ah, cool. I guessed it was for always-on charging.

• NovusBogus

“Iris, Iris, everywhere, nor any chip to run Win7”
    -Rime of the Bogus Mariner

• UberGerbil

They should offer interchangeable lids, one of which is a slim optical drive. (I know, that’s ancient technology and I should just be EndUser and get rid of everything made to a standard more than 6 months old, but considering all the media that isn’t on Hulu/Netflix/Prime but I can get at [url=http://blog.scarecrow.com/about-us-3/<]Scarecrow[/url<], I still use an optical drive for HT viewing on a regular basis)

• RAGEPRO

[url=http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA2W04PJ9773<]One of these[/url<] could match up real nice with one of those.

• UberGerbil

Yeah, I recently prompted a discussion of these in [url=https://techreport.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=118962&p=1334657#p1334215<]a forum thread[/url<]. Something like [url=https://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-BDR-XS06-Blu-Ray-External-Burner/dp/B00TL4HGB2<]this [/url<]would probably look fine slipped under the NUC (haven't compared the plan dimensions but I'm sure they're close); I'd just be happier with a more integrated setup.

• Sargent Duck

I’m ancient, but I still have all my DVD’s including many seasons of tv shows not on Netflix.

A slip optical drive add-on lid would be a welcome addition to old people like me.

• Mad_Dane

Sounds like a job for a 3D printer.

• CheetoPet

DVDs are 4.7″, bit wider than a NUC. Technically still possible to mount but yeah.

• deruberhanyok

Better to use a USB optical drive and sit the NUC on top of it – they’re not wide enough to fit a slimline optical drive inside, no matter how tall you make the lid.

• UberGerbil

Iris Plus 640 and 650 have the eDRAM LLC, so that’s a bonus.

• tipoo

The 550 is even faster than the Iris Pro 5200, despite having half the eDRAM (Intel did say it was way over provisioned originally). Impressive for its class.

Frig, I really wish Intel management would let the Gen graphics guys cut loose with a dedicated card 😛