Thermaltake’s Cronos Riing RGB 7.1 headset shines bright

Adding RGB LEDs to system components is well and good, but we've had a good laughs at the TR virtual office picturing that shiny hardware being stuck inside a windowless computer case. On the other hand, a headset may be the perfect place to stick some blinkenlights. Enter Thermaltake's Cronos Riing RGB 7.1 headset, making its presence known with big pair of LED-backlit Tt eSports logos on the ear cups.

Of course, the headset isn't just a pair of lights. Thermaltake equipped the Cronos Riing with 50-mm tilting neodymium drivers that it says will provide "143% increased sound output." Over what, we don't know. In any case, Thermaltake's software supports custom equalizer profiles and audio virtualization to reproduce a 7.1-channel input signal on the stereo headphones. The same software can be used to control the RGB LEDs on the sides.

It wouldn't be a headset without a microphone, and the Cronos Riing's boom mic is both flexible and retractable. Each part of headset can flex and twist to better fit the wearer, but the rigid outer frame should keep it in shape. The Cronos Riing can also be stored flat to better fit in backpacks or cases. The Cronos Riing RGB isn't available for sale just yet, but the company expects it to go for $85 when it is.

• CuttinHobo

So, I guess Riing is pronounced “ree-ing” as you would with skiing? Fun!

• Prestige Worldwide

The RGB Report .com

• Kretschmer

Make it stop! Make the bling hardware stop!

• JustAnEngineer

But this is [b<]Bliing[/b<] hardware! [url<]http://thermaltakeusa.com/microsite/3Riing12RGB/index.html#1st[/url<]

Everyone else in the history of 24-bit colour managed to get 16.7 million colours.

Thermaltake just pulled a hundred thousand extra colours out of their ass. I guess that’s RGBLED logic for you.

• Blytz

That’s the same marketing math they use with hard drives.

• JustAnEngineer

2^24 = 16,777,216
      If you rounded to the nearest 100,000 you’d get 16,800,000 too.

The whole industry screwed up the number-rounding thirty years ago when early SVGA adapters with enough framebuffer to support 24-bit colour called it 16.7 million colours. Since 1987, that’s what “8 bits per channel, three channel colour” has been known as and Thermaltake are in violation of all that history.

Those 777,216 extra colors ARE NOT WELCOME HERE.

• curtisb

I think you meant 77,216. 🙂

Probably, I’m beyond caring, much like my attitude to the RGBLED plague sweeping the industry 😛

This is my defeated resignation face.

• JosiahBradley

Device outputs sound, why waste energy outputting light too? Comfort, wear-ability, audio quality, microphone quality, these things are what make a headset work when gaming, or music listening, or movie watching. I hate form over function.

I’d say as the reason behind being a gold subscriber and that the general consensus on this site is against all this RGB non-sense, why don;t the editors save time by writing other articles that people will enjoy or being able to spend more time reviewing better products and not fashion statements. Back to the technology please.

Just my 2 cents, nothing against TR but I’d like to vote against these articles.

• drfish

Especially during CES, the name of the game is to write up the press releases that come across. I hardly write up any news myself (just 1 out of [i<][b<]60+[/b<][/i<] stories this week), and I'm not a fan of RGB LED madness anymore than most here - but you gotta do what you gotta do. Thankfully, there was a lot more to TR's prolific CES coverage than just blinkenlights. Some people [i<]do[/i<] like them though, which is great, but given the tone of a lot of the stories about them, those folks may be keeping quiet to avoid ridicule. Who knows? If that's the case. it's a shame, because if you do like them, it's certainly nothing to be embarrassed about. Different strokes and all that.

• RAGEPRO

What drfish said — also while you and the most vocal portion of our readers may not care for RGB LED-equipped hardware, there are plenty of folks who do. It’s a popular trend in the market right now and we’re going to keep covering them, even if for no other reason than because if we stopped covering RGB LED hardware we would stop covering a huge portion of the hardware that comes out. 🙂

This doesn’t really have anything to do with you personally — I’m not accusing you of anything; don’t take this the wrong way — but I [i<]myself[/i<] think a lot of the backlash against RGB LEDs is just a meme, a way to fit in. Some folks started loudly complaining about them and now it's a part of the culture to complain about them. Just as an example of this behavior, I even find myself rolling my eyes and being snarky about the arrgeebeez—even though I actually quite like them. Younger people, people in other cultures where flash and style are as important as performance and value, and trendy or fashionable types all like RGB LED hardware. If it doesn't appeal to you, there's not much I can say other than "sorry." For what it's worth, you're welcome to voice your complaints to the vendors directly, but I doubt you'll get much response besides what I've just said. 🙂

• JosiahBradley

Just because it is a trend doesn’t make it any better than the trend of thin laptops without batteries or cars with racing stripes. I have nothing against TR staff I have something against the industry that pumps out fashion items at crazy prices that do little to assist making things any better. The reason it is a trend is because reputable sites like this one post things about it so they see it as praise regardless of how it really is. Headphones can’t be seen by the wearer so this isn’t like nice case lighting it has gone too far. I have nothing against LED lighting either, my house is lit with LED bulbs as is my case, but the word “RGB” here is being marketed to death for basic lighting we have had for years; but, now it is proprietary in nature, hard to coordinate, and generally gaudy in appearance. Different systems don’t work together, you have to install so much software it is crazy.

As for the meme status I think people are vocal because they release they are being had. I get that it is difficult to differentiate yourself in such a saturated market when every GPU is the same, the brand with the flashy lights wins bonus points. But all this gaming branded stuff does more to increase the look of the device than it does adding quality components that would actually make the gaming experience better. How again does LED lighting increase the keyboard speed of a typist or reaction time in FPS. I’m voting with my wallet and buying third party items until they stop added dollar signs to my hardware accessories while giving me less so they could add lights to them.

Edit: Just to let you know I didn’t downvote you, I think your opinion is valid and I just want to discuss the market and my feelings about it.

[quote=”JosiahBradley”<]fashion items at crazy prices that do little to assist making things any better.[/quote<][quote="JosiahBradley"<]I think people are vocal because they release they are being had.[/quote<] Could not agree with this more. Sometimes RGBLED is a cheap addition that can be added to something [i<]without affecting[/i<] the function or performance of it. In this case I'm fine with it, especially if one of the colour options is "all lighting turned off". Where if falls down though is when it's put in something to its detriment. [list<][*<]Gaming mice should be as light as physically possible. Hardcore mouse enthusiasts worry about grams and all the LEDs and their controller and additional PCB is just extra weight that adds needlessly to their mouse. [/*<][*<]With RGBLED fans the holes drilled in the frame affect the airflow. Matte surfaces on the blades and edge to diffuse and scatter the light have an effect on the noise profile and turbulence caused by those fans. Lights in the hub affect the balance and rotational mass of the blades; These are not good things, but good luck trying to find a non-LED fan these days because they flood the retailer listings with their various options and colour choices.[/*<][/list<] In both those two examples the difference in performance caused by adding RGBLED lighting is likely to be small, but it's still a trend that means the device could perform better AND cost less if they just didn't bother.

• slowriot

What?

That’s YOUR preference on mice weight.

There are no lack of high quality fan or mice without lights. In fact, the highest quality fans are all without lights. So what are you complaining about?

Nothing. Nothing at all. It’s so pointless…

Actually no, that’s not my preference on mouse weight. You’re making assumptions and you know the saying about assumptions.

I like my mice quite heavy but I’m not a twitch gamer. I just follow esports and know that the weight is a competitive feature that many high-profile players look to reduce as much as possible.

With regards to fan selection at retailers, then number of retailers stocking the full selection of available fans is vanishingly small. Most retailers have to stock a limited selection and when RGB Bling SKUs outnumbers higher-quality products 10-to-1, the high-end options inevitably get cut. I actually have problems buying non-LED fans in Europe; It’s still possible but I often have to order just the fans in a separate shipment from a different retailer to everything else, simply because most retailers are swamped (and I mean clogged) with LED options. Even if the stock decent fans, they’re listed and sorted by cosmetic things like colour and lighting options, making it really ****ing hard to find out if the bearings are sleeve/FDB/DBB and whether they’re high-pressure or high-flow designs. Often they don’t even state the connector type or how fast/noisy the fans are – just what ****ing colour the fan is.

When looking to buy a new car, the important criteria are the make/model/specs/size/doors/cost. You chose the paint colour once all that is sorted, but the fan market is now “what colour would you like” and everything else is a secondary consideration.

• slowriot

Dude, people get off on complaining about RGB LEDs. They also seem to think if a product has them then the the designers must have neglected everything else, regardless if that’s remotely true or not.

RGB lightening is extremely cheap to implement. It lets people customize their gear to fit whatever they want. It’s something that no one should complain about because there’s NO REAL DOWNSIDES but yet they constantly do.

It seriously drives me insane that the adults go on and on about this. It’s stupid. And far more juvenile than some teens desire to make his headset match his PC.

• curtisb

Not all of us are against the “RGB non-sense.” While I think too much is definitely overkill, I like having the option when selecting components. Being able to set my own color so that the components I do select match is a bonus.

That said, headphones are definitely in overkill territory.

• moog

Form is sometimes more important than function.

• Ifalna

Sorry but the comment sections are far to entertaining to make me want to vote against them. 😀

• Meadows

“143% increased sound output.”

Looking at their product comparison page, it turns out there’s a vanilla “Cronos RGB 7.1” and my best guess is they’re comparing the new one to its forebear. Compared to the previous model, the Riing has 10 mm larger magnets and 2 dB greater sensitivity.

Even so, an [i<]increase[/i<] of 143% instead of just 43% is rather fishy and the notion of "sound output" is all but debatable to begin with.

• eofpi

7.1/5 is awfully close to 143%. Maybe that’s where they get it from?

• Meadows

Interesting analysis. I rate it 5/7.1

• thedosbox

Why on earth would you need RGB LED’s on a headset where you can’t see them? We may have reached peak LED-tard.

• drfish

[quote<]Why on earth would you need RGB LED's on a headset [i<]where you can't see them?[/i<][/quote<] I think that's the joke!

• JustAnEngineer

I bought an Asus ROG G50VT laptop almost eight years ago that featured LED illuminated red and blue accents that would light up and flash with hard-drive or network access, CPU utilization, overclock state or a variety of patterns The effect is nearly seizure-inducing to an onlooker, but the LEDs on the back of the screen are [b<]not visible[/b<] from directly in front of the keyboard. LOL! [url<]https://www.asus.com/Notebooks/ROG-G50Vt/[/url<]

• slowriot

Can’t see them? I’m fairly certain these are not invisible. Nor will be sitting on someone’s head 24/7.

Next you’re going to tell me people shouldn’t care about how their car exterior looks because you drive it from the inside.

These products… they’re designed for a target market. There’s no lack of options in headphones, buy what you want……..

• thedosbox

[quote<] Can't see them? I'm fairly certain these are not invisible. Nor will be sitting on someone's head 24/7. [/quote<] a) The lights are not visible to the person [i<]who paid for them[/i<] while they are in use. b) Others in the room will be distracted by the idiot with the flashing lights on their head. c) Not even cats wants to sit around watching flashing lights go round in a circle forever. [quote<] These products... they're designed for a target market [/quote<] Oh, we know what the target market is. And I'm comfortable judging them.

[quote<]a) The lights are not visible to the person who paid for them while they are in use.[/quote<] Unless you give them as a gift. Maybe a parent who just knows their kid is the next Dota star. LOL

• SlappedSilly

Sure you can see them. That extra glare on your monitor is all the comforting reminder you need to be sure your headset is indeed on your head.

• eofpi

Oh, good. I was afraid those sounds were the voices in my head.

• curtisb

Why do people put custom wheels on their vehicles when they can’t see them while they’re driving?

Why do people style their hair when they can’t see it?

Why do people by shirts with graphics on the back when they can’t see it while they’re wearing the shirt?

• Blytz

Talk to Logitech, been doing that for some time now.

I use it to set colouring on mine for when I am gaming or watching a movie, then my wife knows I am distracted and can’t hear her)

• RAGEPRO

Right on, that’s good thinking.

• Captain Ned

Why on earth does ANYTHING need RGB LED bling? Stop. Just stop. If you care more about how your box looks than how it performs, you’re nothing but the digital resurrection of the ’90s Rice Boy Honda Civic plague.

• Krogoth

^^^^^^
        This 100x

• Ifalna

Well my RGB lit Strix 1070 performs well and looks good (chose purple and toned the luminosity down to minimal).

Why not have the option? Why can’t we care about both: looks and performance. Before LED were a thing people put UV reactive stuff into their custom loops to make their cases look cool.

• Voldenuit

[quote<]Why on earth would you need RGB LED's on a headset where you can't see them? We may have reached peak LED-tard.[/quote<] I, too, am annoyed when the universe continues to exist when I close my eyes. I have tried blinking extra hard, but that only seems to make things worse.

• RAGEPRO