Samsung’s Android 7.0 rollout starts with the Galaxy S7

Samsung announced today that its rollout of Android 7.0 Nougat is underway. Surprising no one, the company's current flagship models Galaxy S7 and S7 Edge are leading the charge into the future. The Nougat update puts those handsets in sparsely-populated territory occupied by the HTC 10, the HTC One M9, the Moto Z, the LG G5, a bunch of Nexus devices, and the Pixel.

Android 7.0 brings a bunch of improvements to Android devices, including built-in split-screen functionality. Some vendors (including Samsung) already had their own multi-window implementation, but the standardized version could prove more reliable. Nougat also includes Daydream VR support and a pack of business-oriented device management features collectively called "Google for Work." Samsung doesn't mention either of those items in its announcement, so it's unclear if they are coming to the Galaxy S7 handsets.

Samsung's update also adds a Performance Mode option to the S7 and S7 Edge. Android 7.0 already comes with a "sustained performance mode" that developers can use, but Samsung's feature adds Game, Entertainment, and High Performance modes alongside a default Optimized mode. According to the company, Game Mode will make games run more smoothly, Entertainment mode "enhances sound and image quality," and High Performance mode allows for "the highest quality display settings possible."

Samsung says it intends to roll out the update to a few more of its handsets within the next six months, including the Galaxy S6 family, the Note 5, the Tab A, the Tab S2, the Galaxy A3, and the Galaxy A8. Here's to hoping those updates come sooner rather than later.

• swaaye

I put 7.1.1 on a Galaxy Tab 8.9 (Tegra 2) the other day. Gotta love those AOSP hobbyists.

• DPete27

Just a heads up. I read on the Fud this morning that some S7 users are reporting their screens default to 1080p after the Android 7.0 update and that you have to go to display settings and manually set the resolution back to it’s native 1440p.

• Delta9

A somewhat quick Nougat roll out is the only thing that LG seems to have gotten right with the G5. For some reason the wife wanted it. Its not a bad phone, but it is does not seem to do any one thing exceptionally. I would rather have the S7 with 6.x and waiting a month for 7.1, than the G5 with 7.0 since mid December.

• brucethemoose

If anyone wonders why Android updates take so long (or don’t happen at all), this infographic sums it up quite nicely:

[url<]http://www.htc.com/us/go/htc-software-updates-process/[/url<]

• brucethemoose

[quote<]sparsely-populated territory occupied by the HTC 10, the HTC One M9, the Moto Z, the LG G5, a bunch of Nexus devices, and the Pixel. [/quote<] Some of Sony's Xperias have Nougat, right? And the Chinese vendors too... I'm not sure the term "sparsely-populated" is accurate here. Also, Android 7.0 has helped my HTC 10 immensely.

• DancinJack

Sparsely populated relative to total version market share. Which is totally right.

• not@home

After Samsung released Andriod 6.0.1 for my S6 Active, AT&T took 9 months to roll it out.
    [quote<]Samsung says it intends to roll out the update to a few more of its handsets within the next six months, including the Galaxy S6 family,[/quote<] So I am looking at up to a year and a half before I get Nougat. I am sure Android 8 will be out for at least 4 months before I get Nougat.

• Ninjitsu

But will it spread like wildfire

• maxxcool

Tragic and utterly sad. I have been on 7.1.1 for well over a month on my Nexus

I hate hate hate hate apple products. But this they have right.

• DancinJack

To be fair, the Google products (Pixel, and hell let’s throw the Nexuses in too) got it right away. Same thing as Apple.

Blame the OEMs and carriers.

• DPete27

I like using Samsung’s game launcher. I have it set to “Save Power” mode which sets the resolution to “low” and 60fps. No clue how much power that actually saves, but I can’t tell the difference between that and turning power saver off in Clash of Clans.

I don’t use their general power saving mode yet, but I do appreciate it being there. Overall, I’d prefer to save power than increase performance. IMO, flagship smartphones already have gobs more horsepower than they need.

The Game Mode in the Nougat beta on my S7 says it reduces the resolution to 1080p and cranks the screen brightness. Since the screen is one of the most battery-draining things on any smart phone, it doesn’t seem like it’d save much power. Interestingly, “normal” mode also sets the resolution to 1080.

The options in Game Launcher are basically what you have, though, so apparently not much has changed since Marshmallow.

Also, Verizon killed the Nougat beta after the second (where other carriers in the US got five releases) so who knows if what I see is what will ship.

• DPete27

Agreed, screen always drains the most battery.

One thing I have problems with from time to time is automatic screen brightness. IMO, this should be as follows:
        Default nits per ambient lumens(?) from the facotry, say 1:1 for easy example.
        If user manually adjusts the brightness slider (without disabling auto brightness) the curve should be adjusted, 0.75:1 or vice versa.

There has been more than a handful of times when I unlock my S7 and it sears my eyeballs , or I can barely make out anything on the screen for no apparent reason. I assume the ambient light sensor just malfunctions every now and then?

• Shinare

Guess my 2.5 year old S5 is now waaaay to old to be considered for an update. 🙁

Geeze I really need to get with it!

• morphine

[i<]Welcome... to the machine![/i<]

• B166ER

…Has older hardware but is upset at not being first considered for latest update.

Considered FIRST….

• Welch

Same boat with you man… only my S5 is dieing one piece at a time.

1. Rotation doesn’t work.
      2. Calls over bluetooth will cut out and only fix for it is to slightly smack phone against my leg until it stops sounding like static.
      3. My ear piece when answering or switching between speaker and normal phone will make a pop and electrical buzz thwt gets higher in pitch, like old speakers warming up.
      4. SD cards were intermittently recognized, but now not at all (multiple SD cards tried)
      5. Randomly now all sound will stop working and only a restart will bring it back, this also includes microphone according to some people who call and I answer for during this time.
      6. Just noticed when I put the brightness all the way down, a few “panels” of the screen flicker and are noticably different in shade to the rest of the screen.

So, it could be worse lol.