Steam client lets users move games and use Xbox controllers

The Steam client got a big update for all platforms last week. Steam users will be happy to find that it's now possible to move individual games between Steam library folders. Valve has also extended Steam's game controller customization interface to work with a wider range of hardware.

Folks who have used the Steam Controller can tell you that Valve's gamepad configuration utility is one of the best. It supports a dizzying array of options, allowing users to completely map every input on the controller to keyboard commands, mouse buttons, or joystick inputs. Valve has extended the utility to support tweaks to all Xbox 360 and Xbox One-compatible controllers, which join Playstation 4 pads and the Steam Controller in the customization interface. Steam Controllers remain the only first-class citizens in the desktop client, though: setting up other controllers will require using Big Picture mode.

Using the Steam configurator interface now offers other benefits, like the ability to change the player order of XInput controllers without having to reconnect them. Users can finally disable the "guide button brings up Steam" function, too. Valve also added support for some third-party PS4 controllers, including a pile of fightpads and arcade sticks.

Besides the improvements to controller support, Valve added a few quality-of-life improvements. On top of making it easier to move games between Steam library folders, users will now be shown an error message when games fail to download or update. Steam can also fix its own permissions on Steam library folders, and Valve added an option to send log files and crash dumps along with certain types of help requests. The new Steam client should download automatically, but the curious can check out the full list of updates and changes here.

Moving between libraries?

\o/

I can finally retire SteamMover.exe (lazy man’s symlinker).

it’s a magical day indeed.

• Growler

I’ve already used it to great effect. Fallout 4 was having unbearably long load times, so I moved it to my SSD, and it was life changing.

• JosiahBradley

I’ve just been symlinking my steam directories even back on XP with junction points. This should be slightly easier, whew. And you guys can thank me for the new controller support I just bought a steam controller.

• BobbinThreadbare

Steam has had support for multiple library folders for years. They just didn’t have an interface for moving games from one to the other.

• not@home

If they are adding support for different controllers, they should add support for Nvidia’s Shield controller. It’s the only one I have, and it seems like a decent controller. I haven’t had any consoles since the PS1, so I can’t compare it to anything else though.

• brucethemoose

A friend has a Steam controller, and we sometimes play co-op games. The hardware itself is fine, but the configuring and interface have given us nothing but trouble… It randomly stops working in certain games and forgets configs, among other things.

Its not bad, but I don’t know if I’d call it “one of the best”.

• Airmantharp

I may simply be that much better than the alternatives, of which I cannot even name, so…

• dragmor

13 YEARS….. and Valve have finally implemented the move game feature. With this type of commitment to their product and what their customers want, Half Life 3 must be coming anytime now.

• nico1982

[quote<]Half Life 3[/quote<] Oh, I forgot about it.

• travbrad

Give them a break. Counting all that money takes up a lot of time.

• wingless

I maintain 4 steam libraries on my hard drives that are a mix of types, speeds, and capacities depending on the size of the game and speed I need to load it. This is a GREAT update for users like myself.

Bravo Vavle!

• Vinceant

One of the best, eh? By what measure?

I’m in the beta, so I started using this feature weeks ago. And while it does work at it’s base, it’s pretty terrible to configure. For one, when you FIRST plug in a controller you can assign all the buttons to be an xbox button. Handy! However, once you do this you can never go back and change it, ever! The only way to ever get back to that screen is to edit a huge config file to delete some lines so steam treats it like a new controller again.

Why would I need to go back and change that when you can edit each game by itself?! Well, if you’re using a non-standard controller like an arcade stick, good freaking luck remembering RB/RT or whatever is assigned to witch button. And the per game configuration only translates your assigned button to a different assigned button! So you can’t easily just tell it “hey, this button? Yeah, that’s A here.” You have to say “Ok, the button I had assigned to X? That’s A here.”

Is it the worst? No. But it’s a pain in the rear to use. If you have a DS4, just use inputmapper. I’m about to padhack my arcade stick to just be a PS4 controller to make my life easier as well. It’s weird to think that a PS4 controller is likely the most compatible controller for the PC on the market because of inputmapper.

• floodo1

PS4 controller + InputMapper is golden, esp with Sony’s wireless USB dongle. the light bar is great for battery levels and the touchpad is super handy! If you have sony’s dongle you can even plug in an earbud headset and get audio / mic out of the controller!

DualShock 4 is the best for sure (-8