GeForce 378.49 drivers are ready to face Resident Evil 7

Nvidia posted a new GeForce driver release, numbered 378.49. The driver is WHQL-certified, and adds official support for the notebook versions of the GeForce GTX 1050 and GTX 1050 Ti. Besides bringing support for the new portable Pascals, the driver 378.49 is also Game Ready for some recent games. The latest entry in Capcom's seminal horror series, Resident Evil 7, the open-world competitive survival title Conan Exiles, and Ubisoft's duelling-focused PvP wargame For Honor all get official support in this driver.

Ubisoft's For Honor

Although the driver's main purpose is supporting the new games, Nvidia tweaked a pile of SLI profiles. Big names on the SLI updates list include Battlefield 1, Civilization VI, and Watch Dogs 2, plus the long-awaited Diablo III SLI profile. Nvidia also updated Watch Dogs 2's 3D Vision compatibility level to "excellent," while marking Resident Evil 7 and Conan Exiles as "not recommended."

This driver release includes fixes for a few outstanding issues. The biggest fix concerns random black screens and driver resets while playing games in Windows 10 Anniversary Edition on GeForce GTX 1080s. Wargame: Red Dragon should no longer reboot systems, and the Alienware Graphics Amplifier should once properly detect GeForce cards. Flickering with SLI rigs should now be gone from Hitman's DirectX 12 mode, too.

Despite all those bugfixes, there are some lingering issues in this release. The Division may crash on graphics cards using GM204 GPUs when in full-screen mode, and For Honor will crash to desktop if ShadowPlay's instant replay feature is on and the user skips the intro video. Street Fighter V may run unusually poorly in 4K mode on SLI rigs. Meanwhile, Battlefield 1 can hang in campaign mode when FastSync is enabled on Windows 7 machines.

For the full list of changes, fixes, and issues, check out Nvidia's release notes. GeForce Experience users probably already have the new driver downloaded (if not installed), but the rest of us will have to trek to Nvidia's download page to grab it.

• Entroper

Reports are that these are screwing up Factorio, Minecraft, and other games. NVIDIA STAHP

Ugh, I need to tell Windows 10 to stop downloading fresh Nvidia drivers. How many frickin’ times do I have to change my scaling options, aspect ratio, HDMI black level and set output range to full 8bpc?!?!

Why are Nvidia’s DEFAULTS for any HDMI television so stupid? It’s happened to me since Windows XP with multiple nvidia GPUs and multiple televisions 🙁

Nobody wants their TV to constantly resolution switch. It pops up the OSD and many TV’s have settings [i<]per mode[/i<] meaning that you have to faff with the TV remote every time you use a new resolution. GPU scaling looks better anyway! As for the HDMI black level and limited range 16-235 colour output GODDAMN STOP IT OKAY NVIDIA? Nobody want's a washed-out, low-contrast image with screwy black-depth crush applied to the not-black RGB15,15,15 you default to EVERY SINGLE UPDATE. I think I'm just gonna pop the RX480 into the HTPC. Nvidia have been really grinding my gears recently and that entire paragraph of whine is IGNORING the fact that two out of three Nvidia drivers right now seem to have additional show-stopping bugs. My rant is what happens when Nvidia occasionally release a [i<]stable[/i<] driver these days....

• Waco

I cannot for the life of me convince the Nvidia drivers to ALWAYS SCALE ON THE DAMN CARD. My monitor/TV keeps changing settings, and the black level settings between my desktop resolution (4K @ 60 Hz) and gaming resolution for some games (1080p @ 60 Hz) screws up as well as introducing input lag.

Why have an option to scale on the damn card if it ignores it willy-nilly?

• Ninjitsu

I think that happens because it detects your monitor as a TV. Really annoying, but what can you do.

• odizzido

I don’t think I am ready to face RE7. RE5 wasn’t very good, RE6 was garbage….I can only imagine the septic depths that RE7 inhabits.

• RAGEPRO

Dude, what? RE5 was amazing and RE6 was better in some ways, worse in others. Both games were fantastic though. I can’t believe you didn’t like them. What didn’t you enjoy?

• odizzido

I actually played RE5 the whole way through. Coop is the only thing that saved it, and the fact that you and your partner just sit there stimming eachother over and over in some sort of drug induced god mode I found particularly funny. It gets bonus points for that.

As to the bad. I can only speak of the console version but the frame rate was sh*t. The resolution was so bad that I could barely see so I kept hitting those rope mines. I could barely play the game at all. Also no rebindable controls but I think that’s standard on consoles? Still ass though. Those are the technical problems I had with the game that I recall.

As to the more subjective stuff, the enemies were completely incompetent. I get it if zombies aren’t particularly dexterous but these are human enemies and they just stand there doing nothing. I personally hate QTEs and RE5 is full of them which is a huge negative for me. Other than that I think I just found the gameplay to be generally boring.

As to RE6 all I remember was it was so dark I could barely see, and it had leaping zombies. I hated it within 30mins and didn’t get past the sewers.

This was all some time ago, especially RE5. I am sure if I played it I could better say what I didn’t like about them but yeah…that’s not going to happen.

• EzioAs

I always love RE5 and RE6. Sure they could use some improvements, but the replayability of both games is so high because of it’s short stages, co-op and multiple difficulties that scale pretty well. However, I hated the fact in RE6, your AI partner is pretty much immortal and has infinite ammo. Sure, the AI partner in RE5 wasn’t super but Capcom decided go the easy way to just made your partner invincible instead of improving the AI and command. I also hated the limited skill system in RE6 and the fact that you can’t upgrade individual weapons anymore, which I really love in RE5. Still, RE6 had the better control scheme and you can do so much more damage and counters with good timing.

Also, I don’t usually agree with the QTE hate. I mean, generally, a lot of games are QTE in itself, they just don’t shove it into your face what buttons you should press. Personally, I don’t think RE5 or RE6 had too many QTEs but, that’s just me.

• Ninjitsu

[quote<] Ubisoft's duelling-focused PvP wargame For Honor [/quote<] That's...not a wargame as it's generally meant! 😛 Nitpick 2: [quote<]Wargames: Red Dragon should no longer reboot systems[/quote<] It's "Wargame: Red Dragon". Sorry to be that guy :/

• RAGEPRO

Sorry about that, fixed the typo, gave ’em a link. I was looking right at the game name, too.

An interesting point you bring up about the word “wargame.” When I think of that, I think of Dynasty Warriors and Mount & Blade, games which hew pretty close to For Honor in the general sense (although For Honor is quite a bit deeper than Dynasty Warriors, and less simulationist than Mount & Blade.)

• Ninjitsu

Ah, M&B is *definitely* not a wargame! It’s more of a…idk. RPG with fighting and stuff.

Wargames are usually things like this:
        [url<]https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2017/01/27/the-flare-path-sequel-this-please/[/url<] i.e. sim/strategy games that have foundations in boardgames (or are actually boardgames). Focus on "real-world" strategy, logistics, etc.

• jdevers

Why would anyone care about SLI support on Diablo 3? Maybe someone with a 6 year old fix card setup… I can run it maxed out at 1080p on my backup PC with a 7850 in it and it happily runs nearly maxed out at 4K on a 7970.

• MrDweezil

Sounds like they gave the new intern a low priority project from the backlog to mess around with. Either that, or its related to the most recent patch which changed the game client to 64bit and DX11, compared to the old 32/DX9 one.

• RAGEPRO

Hey man, I need that 240 FPS for my overhead view monster clickin’. (Heh.)

• Voldenuit

Anyone know if Microsoft has fixed the win 10 KB 3213986 multi-monitor gaming issues yet?

• RAGEPRO

The fix is to uninstall that update, haha.

• Ninjitsu

Uninstall Windows 10

• Klimax

Don’t know, I’m keeping that upadte off system for now. (More or less first update that forced me to do that) The only thing I’d like to know, how did they screwed that up.

• End User

Yes. In the latest insider build.