In Win 301 microATX case is stylish and compact

We haven't covered In Win's 303 ATX mid-tower case, but other sites seemed to like it. The company probably figured it had a good product on its hands and is now back with the 301, a similar design to the the 303 case but with microATX dimensions. The 301's product page is fairly short on details at the moment, but Gamers Nexus and Hardware Canucks were able to get a look at the new case at CES.

The case sits atop fairly bulky feet, allowing air to flow in through the bottom of the chassis and out through fans in the back. From piecing together both sites' coverage, we can surmise that the 301 appears to support a 120mm radiator in the back and a 240mm radiator in the front, though air intake for the front radiator appears to be somewhat limited. The power supply is mounted at the top of the unit, making the whole layout reminiscent of old mid-tower cases. The 301's rather closed design and dimensions mean that although a pair of fans can be mounted at the bottom, there's apparently not enough clearance for a radiator in that location.

There's yet no specific info on maximum graphics card length and CPU cooler height, though judging by the bigger 303's support for cards as long as 14" (25 cm), prospective shoppers may not need to worry much. In Win offers an optional PCIe vertical mounting bracket and riser for those looking to showcase their graphics card. Storage drive support appears to be limited to one 3.5" device and one 2.5" drive in addition to the de rigeur M.2 drives strapped directly to the motherboard.

Gamers Nexus says the In Win 301 chassis will be available in the first half of this year. Pricing wasn't mentioned, but we'd expect it to ding wallets for somewhat less than the $90 cost of the larger InWin 303. Buyers get the choice of a black model with red trim and a white unit with blue trim.

• Riskyguy

Will this case support Mini ITX m.b.?

• JustAnEngineer

Most micro-ATX cases allow mini-ITX motherboards, but why would you choose that combination?. This case has 5 slots (to allow you to install a double-wide graphics card in the 4th PCIe slot in your micro-ATX motherboard). Mini-ITX motherboards have only one PCIe slot.

• strangerguy

14 inches isnt 25cm.

-1/10 will never visit this site again. 🙂

• hansmuff

I really like some of the IN-WIN cases, but their prominent, ugly logo puts me off every damn time.

This is the μATX InWin 303, right?

So it’ll be excellent; 5/7 would recommend.

• juzz86

The only thing that ground my gears about the 303 was the complete lack of 140mm mount support.

It’s a beautiful case with an intelligent layout and looks absolutely fantastic filled with gear – I love how the hoses on a 240 AiO sit in it. I’ve had the pleasure of building in one and recommend it as often as I can when people are happy to spend a little extra on the housing.

I did feel the logo was mis-placed, though. I’d have stuck the lit badge on the lip at the bottom of the LHS panel, in NZXT H440-esque style. It’s too flashy for the front bezel, and too big.

• trackerben

It’s so nice… why even load it up with dusty components… all it needs are blinkenlights

They’d better be RGBLED blinkenlights or so help me….

• Pville_Piper

I having RGB withdrawals… I mean, I haven’t seen an RGB related item in Tech Report for at least 24 hours!

• Shinare

Thats one damn sexy case.

It may be time for me to get rid of the ole Thermaltake Tsunami I’ve had for 10 years.

• Pville_Piper

I really like it as well… Kinda thinking of getting rid of my Storm Scout case.

• jessterman21

ooh I like it.

but man, it needs some more drivebays.

• tay

Do not want drive bays!! Part of what makes it nice.

Drivebays for what?

If you want obsolete optical storage, stick with your (obsolete) existing case. If you’re talking about internal bays, this thing will acommodate a motherboard with 2TB of M.2 NVMe storage and up to 30TB of spinning rust. I think that covers most of the market nicely.

• GrimDanfango

Indeed… my tiny little external Pioneer slim USB Blu-Ray drive is precisely all the optical drive I need, shared between all computers I own. Occasionally I even find a use for it and take it off the shelf where it mostly collects dust.

It’s about time 5.25″ drive bays were relegated to “specialist” and/or server cases.

• DataMeister

I think you misunderstand what rust is. Maybe.

• B166ER

Iron magnetic particles used in the HDD storage medium, but in his usage, he refers to the tech being outdated which when you have outdated iron, rust is the end product….

I thought it witty as fuck.

It is actually spinning rust, where rust is the leyman term for iron oxide.

You have aluminium platters and then a layer of supporting alloy layers starting with ruthenium alloy, cobalt-nickel-iron alloy, followed by its oxide to lock it down with ionic lattice, then cobalt-chromium-platinum alloy and finally it’s all topped off with a polymer coating for protection and aerodynamic drag reduction.

But yeah, your data is rusty, since the magnetic substrate is an iron alloy sandwiched between it’s own oxide layer and a ruthenium alloy. Your data is [i<]quite literally[/i<], rusty.

• EndlessWaves

Future ports

• jessterman21

Internal, internal! The price is low enough to be tempting for my humble rig, but not tempting enough if I have to ditch my existing storage and get M.2 drives.

I have 4 256GB 2.5in SSDs and 2 2TB 3.5in HDDs

• limitedaccess

Are there more internal bays than the article mentioned? How are you managing 30 TBs of internal HDDs with 1×3.5inch bay and 1×2.5inch bay?

For me there is cost considerations given the premium for a m.2 NVME SSD (and lack of real world performance gain), premium for 2.5 inch HDD, and what would require getting rid all current storage and re-buying (need at least 1xSSD and 2xHDDs internally). Would prefer 2x.2.5inch and 2×3.5inch.

Personally I don’t care for water cooling at all, even AIOs, and would’ve liked space dedicated for that to have gone elsewhere such as the requisite internal bays. But it seems like all the more compact case designs are centered around showcasing watercooling.