Nvidia covers the 2015 Shield in Nougat

When we said the hardware inside the updated Nvidia Shield Android TV was "essentially unchanged," we weren't kidding. Nvidia has pushed out a software update for the original Shield that upgrades it with Android 7.0 Nougat and most (if not all) of the newer model's features. Owners of the 2015 Shield console can stream movies and shows in 4K HDR from the internet, and games from a local network in similar 4K bliss.

Nvidia's Games app is now available on the original Shield. This convenient app aggregates games available on the device with titles available via GameStream from a networked PC and games coming over the internet from GeForce Now. The Nougat update brings additional niceties like task switching with a double-tap on the home button, better locale settings, and multi-window mode for apps. Other welcome changes in this update include the ability to write to attached USB or SD storage, a quick pause-and-play function on the Shield remote (double-tap the volume slider), and support for surround speaker configurations in the Plex app.

The 2015 Shield consoles now have support for Nest in-home camera monitoring, too. Nvidia didn't mention whether the rest of the home automation features that were promised for the Shield at CES would be coming to the 2015 model, though.

Owners of the 2015 Shield looking to bring them up to current spec can buy the new controller and media remote from Nvidia's website. Most Shield owners are probably already running the new version. If that's not the case, all they need to do is connect the device to the internet, dive into the Settings app, and hit Device, About, and then System Update.

• tipoo

I was hoping the new one would have an SoC update, as the Shield is one of the most energy efficient Plex servers out there due to hardware encoding. But it’s limited to about 2 HD and 1 SD stream at once.

• Krogoth

I can’t be the only person who mistook that case as “Genji” from Overwatch.

• not@home

These have similar hardware as the Shield Tablet? If so, it probably won’t be long until Nvidia releases Nougat for the Tablet.

• stefem

The SHIELD Tablet is powered by a Tegra K1 SoC while the SHIELD TV is based on the newer X1.

The update for the tablet should come in the coming weeks.

• ozzuneoj

My Shield tablet isn’t telling me that this update is available. Its an original Shield tablet (identical to K1 but has a stylus slot).

Any indication of when these updates are going to roll out?

• cygnus1

This is for the Shield console, not Shield Tablet.

• ozzuneoj

Oh wow… how did I not notice that? Its so hard to tell them apart by name…

Thanks.

I was hoping for an update to fix some quirks. This is a pretty solid tablet but for seemingly no reason some times it is dog slow. My LG G2 (Snapdragon 800, 2GB RAM) running a third party Marshmallow ROM loads apps and web pages faster most of the time.

• cygnus1

Yeah, nvidia is pretty good with updates, in general, but even amongst the shield devices they’re not consistent about which devices get which updates when.

• stefem

NVIDIA did confirm that the update for the SHIELD Tablet is few weeks away.

• cygnus1

That’s good to hear. Nvidia really is probably one of the better Android OEMs, I definitely appreciate the update for their gear I own.

• ozzuneoj

I love down-thumbs.

“YOU ARE OBVIOUSLY MISTAKEN SIR! FEEL THE WRATH OF THIS RED DOWNWARD POINTING THUMB BUTTON! I WILL CLEANSE THIS EARTH OF THOSE WHO MAKE MISTAKES, ONE CLICK AT A TIME!!!”

• JustAnEngineer

[quote=”ozzuneoj”<] I love down-thumbs. "I WILL CLEANSE THIS EARTH OF THOSE WHO MAKE MISTAKES, ONE CLICK AT A TIME!!!" [/quote<] [b<]Three[/b<] clicks at a time if you're a subscriber. 😉

not silver

• stefem

Update for SHIELD Tablet will come in the next weeks, that’s what NVIDIA said

• brucethemoose

That’s the great thing about using in-house hardware. Nvidia isn’t at the mercy of some other company if they want to update the drivers for a new version of Android.

• Thrashdog

I’ve gotta say, while the Tegra hardware may have its ups and downs the level of software support that NVidia has backed the Shield devices with is top notch. I have an OG Shield tablet that is still getting regular updates almost three years after release, which is practically an eternity in the Android world. I only really use it for the Kindle app anymore, but even so it’s been a great experience. If the Android tablet ecosystem weren’t such a dead end, I’d recommend it to anybody.

• swaaye

Yeah I’m not sure if any other manufacturer has supported an Android device this well. Apparently Android 7 is even coming for it.

I have a Tegra Note 7 too and that thing was left to rot with a barely adequate version of 5.1 that’s missing features. I’m not sure what the deal was there. Maybe the 3rd party branding approach they used? It’s a shame because that tablet’s CPU is almost as fast for general apps as Shield Tablet. The GPU is a lot slower but still quite capable.

• LostCat

I have yet to manage to acquire anything sensibly updated, might look into NVs kit.

• juzz86

Absolutely. I have the original Shield and it received its final security update very late last year. Incredibly happy with that.

Since this is a Steam streaming box, and since I found this out for myself the hard way, Steam in-home streaming is [url=http://steamcommunity.com/groups/SteamClientBeta#announcements/detail/583615484601546499<]broken with the latest Nvidia driver[/url<]. I had to revert to 376.33 as mentioned in the thread. Maybe Pascal is OK, but I still have a Maxwell GTX 970.

• hansmuff

Lots of reports of this, not just Maxwell but newer chips as well.

Every.
      Single.
      Driver.

What is wrong with Nvidia? Can’t they just make ONE stable version I thought the 378.49 was looking good but yeah – hadn’t spotted the streaming issue yet and can confirm my 970 suffers.

Are 376.33 “good”? What’s the problem with those? I just need something modern enough for BF1 and not totally broken elsewhere.

• DancinJack

376.33 works fine for me in BF1, and I haven’t realllly noticed other issues. Granted we’re talking about possible totally different use cases outside of BF1 so who knows. Either way, my 1080 runs wonderfully in BF1 (W10) with it.

• MOSFET

One problem with 376.33 was F@H crashing. 376.48 fixed that, so I think I’ll stay there for a while.