Asus Expedition GeForce GTX 1070 OC is ready for heavy duty

You might think you abuse your graphics card. You overclock it, you tweak every little setting to squeeze a few extra frames out of each game. But Asus' newly-unveiled Expedition GeForce GTX 1070 OC Edition isn't for you or me. This is the latest entry in Asus' Expedition lineup, first unveiled with the Expedition GTX 1050 back in October. This is a truly heavy-duty card, meant to be put to work for hours at a time in places like the netcafés so popular in Asian countries.

Asus says the GTX 1070 Expedition OC has been put through rigors other cards don't need to worry about. The company boasts that these cards endure 144 hours of stress testing, including a 2-hour continuous reboot test and 15 hours of 3DMark testing. The GPU's boost clock is 1771MHz in its default setting, and an OC mode will push it up a little higher to 1797 MHz. The card sports a dual-fan cooler and the usual port arrangement of two DisplayPort connectors, two HDMI ports, and one DVI output.

Pricing and availability for the GTX 1070 Expedition OC aren't yet public, but as TechPowerUp notes, it seems likely the card could see a limited release in netcafé-heavy Asian markets.

• FranzVonPapen

Continuous reboot test? I’ve never heard of such and I’m curious.

What does that prove? What does rebooting stress in a video card?

• Goty

I’m not privy to the details, but I assume the video card has an initialization process that it somewhat analogous to the boot process of the PC as a whole considering the fact that video output needs to be available early on and can’t wait for the rest of the PC to boot. I’d imagine this is what’s going on when you hear the fans spin up briefly at boot, which is just one form of “stress” on the card.

• stefem

Power cycling is a common test for any electronic component and device.

• tviceman

I like the compact size. There is no need for the 1070 and 1080 class cards to be bigger than this (except for blower versions).

I’m not sure it’s that compact but I agree with your sentiment.

This is (IMO) stardard length for a GPU and actually oversize in the height (sticks up above the expansion slot covers).

• Bensam123

Based on my experience mining with Asus GPUs, you could just buy any of them and get the same results. I’m sure these cost more then the premium they already have set in place on their cards though. 🙁