Nvidia’s newest game bundle requires a GeForce Experience login

You remember that GeForce bundle we told you about the other day? Unlike Nvidia's previous bundles, the codes for these games aren't coming on cards or e-mails. In fact, there might not be any codes at all. Redeeming this latest pack-in apparently requires linking your Steam or Uplay account with GeForce Experience. The app will then perform a "hardware verification" process before unlocking your title.

We haven't seen the process in action, so we don't know for sure whether you still have to input some kind of code or if the unlocks are being authorized via some unique identifier (like the card's serial number.) However it works, this move will most likely prevent the resale of bundled game codes. While that should please the game publishers, it may not be the ultimate goal behind the change.

As GeForce owners are surely already aware, many of the advanced features of Nvidia's graphics cards—like the Shadowplay video capture function—require an online registration and login for the GeForce Experience software. For its part, Nvidia claims that the software "has nothing to do with spying, tracking, or other nefarious activities," but it can be an annoyance.

Much like Microsoft and its aggressive push to move users to Windows 10, it's possible that Nvidia is taking this opportunity to herd more of its users onto GeForce Experience. Doing so has plenty of obvious benefits for the company, like making sure that every user has the latest driver installed. It's a little disappointing that the application has become more or less mandatory for users who want to take advantage of the game bundles Nvidia offers, though.

• dikowexeyu

The forced login turned me from a nvidia user to a nvidia hater. If ryzen delivers, my next rig will be 100% AMD.

• ronch

If and when AMD manages to beat Nvidia on performance, price and efficiency you can bet Nvidia is gonna drop this crazy login thing like a hot piece of coal.

• stefem

Yeah, the good guys at AMD are not like Ngreedia horde, they would never ever done something similar 😀

[url<]https://www.amd4u.com/amdgamepromo[/url<]

• USAFTW

Nvidia, here’s a crazy idea:
    1. Do something about the slow and sluggish 11-year old control panel, changing the XP back/ forward/home button would be a good start. AMD with their limited resources changed their driver interface three times in that span of time.
    2. Integrate everything from GFE (Shadowplay, game-stream, driver update, etc.) into your new control panel and please don’t make it so that it loads for five seconds on a fast SSD to see it.
    3. Limit GFE to the other possibly nefarious ideas you have so people like me don’t feel like they’re being denied goodies that AMD now bakes in their driver.
    4. ???
    5. Profit!

• EzioAs

I agree with point number 1. I’ve been saying that for quite sometime as well. I think a part of why the recent drivers are having constant problems is because they are actually preparing for the newer control panel, I hope.

• USAFTW

They will have to deal with it sooner or later. It takes a while to load, changing options and saving them takes much longer than reasonable to save changes.
        I’ve also had the same thinking. The recent issues (and there has been many, low clockspeeds and such) maybe down to devoting manpower to the new interface, but who knows.

• Ifalna

Hmm I have GFE installed but deactivated every part of it except driver update notification.

I basically forget it’s even there until NV pushes an update, at which point I’ll get a reminder popup.

May I humbly suggest that all the haters completely overdramatize the issue?

• synthtel2

Where’s that supposed to leave Linux gamers? GFE is Windows-only (and does enough weird stuff that I’ll bet it won’t run in Wine). Retrieving bundled games could get a bit too interesting.

• odizzido

Garbage. All they’re doing is hurting their own value.

• Voldenuit

The Garbage Experience.

• stefem

AMD force you make an account on its website and download and run a verification tool too in order to redeem the code.

They are just trying to prevent people from returning their cards and then resell the code bundled with it.

• CScottG

Exactly the same as the drug trade (legal and illegal).

-give you a free sample;

-you get hooked;

-now you’ve got a monkey on your back.

That’s right:

Nvidia’s got your back.

• jihadjoe

This move is all about catching bots that abuse the free game bundle mechanic. People run bots that order the card, get the game code then cancel the actual order. Tying the game code to hardware prevents those sort of assholes from running away with the game code.

• NTMBK

Just put a physical code in the box?

• morphine

Logistics nightmare. You have to give a ton of codes to partners and ensure they get them in time so that they can print them, need to rush and get more codes if one of them sells a ton, and so on and so forth.

• stefem

jihadjoe nailed the reason and yours is not a solution as there are people that buy the cards and then return it keeping the code and selling it on ebay. It’s a old trick which has been exploited to hell by long time.
        They are simply trying to do something about that and I don’t understand most of the complaints, even AMD require the download of a special “verification tool” to unlock the code

• PrincipalSkinner

nGreedia will have to cope with my mailinator “account”.

Of course there was a catch.

These aren’t free games. They’re incentives to bastardise your PC with GFE and accept some quite horrific terms and conditions.

Screw you Nvidia.

• stefem

Did you actually read them or you read the website eula that some site wrongly reported as the GFE one just to prove NVIDIA where spying on user and selling the info to other company? which bdw is anywhere near true.

• xeridea

so does this mean that if you got a different graphics card later you wouldn’t be able to play your games?

also Forced driver updates probably isn’t the best way to go since they have been having a lot of driver issues the last year or so

• stefem

No, you need to install GFE and a suitable graphics card to redeem the code, then you can play it on an AMD GPU if you like.

• Concupiscence

I refuse to install the Geforce Experience. It’s a non-issue in Linux, and on a Windows machine I can hop over to nvidia.com, download a driver by selecting All Nvidia products, navigating to my hardware, and manually snagging the driver. There’s nothing the GE offers that I need, and life’s complicated enough without being asked to jump through hoops to enjoy something I’ve paid for.

• Vhalidictes

It worked! Thanks! Every time I tried to follow the alter links I faced a login attempt. This process allowed me to get the driver I was missing. Cool.

• stefem

About which links are you talking about? I don’t know of any website that ask you to login before downloading NVIDIA drivers

• Voldenuit

(I)nVadia.

What’s frustrating is that none of these launcher things show everything I have installed by default. Steam/Origin/Blizzard only show me the games from those services. GeForce Experience only shows me “supported” games (those with performance profiles) with a link to Steam. Here’s an idea: someone create a launcher that can handle everything from every service so that it can show me everything I have installed? I’m already logged into GFE for Shield streaming, so it’s not like the new restrictions bother me much. Nvidia should just make it better if they want people to use it.

• DancinJack

That’s strange. Mine shows everything including Origin, B.net, and Steam (I don’t have anything else installed currently).

Mine shows the B.net games I own and some of my Origin games, but it doesn’t show older titles. Anything that doesn’t have a performance profile you have to dig up in the service where you bought it. At least that’s how it is on my PC.

• VincentHanna

If we are being honest, this, more than other reasons is the primary reason why I don’t buy games unless they have a steam code. Other reasons, like “I just really don’t like EA/origin as a company” are more secondary (for instance, I don’t like paradox interactive as a company for similar reasons, but I do buy their games.) I don’t want a bajillion launchers, all extra background processes and agendas running amok on my system, and by default, steam has the most variety of games, the best designed interface, and the most consumer friendly support of the bunch (even if staff support is zero, or near zero, who cares if you don’t need them?)

That said, steam will allow you to add any .exe to your games list. It’s hidden cleverly under games > add a non steam game to my library. It will then launch that .exe when you select it from the list. Granted not “by default,” but then asking steam to tell pocket tanks deluxe from calculator.exe without a game profile is just unreasonable.

• DPete27

[quote<] Nvidia should just make [GFE] better if they want people to use it.[/quote<] They're already forcing people to use it anyway.

Yes and no. You can get drivers from the website. If you don’t care about what it does, you don’t have to use it. It’s only if you want in-home streaming, Shadow Play, or their subscription service that you need to log in.

• DPete27

Hmm. I could’ve sworn they required you to have a GFE user account logged in to get driver updates also. Perhaps that just applies to getting the driver updates automatically via GFE. You’re obviously right that you can still manually go to their website and download the latest drivers.

That was rumored at the beta’s announcement but hasn’t been the case yet. If that changes then people have a gripe.

• Freon

I uninstalled it long ago and haven’t looked back. Not a chance I’ll reinstall.

• TwistedKestrel

A launcher launcher?

Well, it’d be better if it could launch the games directly and if all launchers supported command-line game-launching commands (it’d be sweet to dump all of that into EmulationStation or similar, like you can RetroArch-based emulators) but I know that “launcher launcher” is what it’d turn out to be. My best bet is just adding non-Steam games to Steam and using that instead.

Now that launching Steam is more prominent on the Shield, it’s a reasonable option.

• EndlessWaves

It would be wonderful if you could launch games without their clients as in the early days of digital distribution, but given Valve’s history of aggressively installing and running their client I can’t see it happening.

• Growler

We heard you like launchers, so we put a launcher in your launcher so you can launch while you launch.

(When you look at it enough, “launch” is a weird looking word.)

• ronch

This login thing with Nvidia is what deters me from considering their cards the next time I buy. Just being honest. Just not comfy with the idea.

• stefem

Even AMD require you to login on their website (and download a verification tool) to redeem the game code.

[url<]https://www.amd4u.com/amdgamepromo/[/url<]

• Vhalidictes

I wouldn’t know, I never got any AMD game codes. But I *can* tell you from personal experience that you can’t download Nvidia drivers anonymously any more, and you can from AMD.

• stefem

Mwuahahahaha you and who voted you up made me laugh :D, you can download the drivers from NVIDIA’s official website, as it always has been.

You need a link? I can give you 2 official one (well, way more considering their developer website and the website of any of their partner too) and no one require login 🙂

[url<]http://www.geforce.com/drivers[/url<] [url<]http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us[/url<] That's why I hate disinformation.

• Voldenuit

[quote<] I wouldn't know, I never got any AMD game codes. But I *can* tell you from personal experience that you can't download Nvidia drivers anonymously any more, and you can from AMD.[/quote<] [url<]http://www.geforce.com/drivers/[/url<] --> Manual Driver Search --> WHQL drivers found ---> Download --> Download starts. You don't need to login to download drivers. However, you can't download beta (or, annoyingly enough) hotfix drivers without signing in.

• stefem

That’s not true either, you can download any driver without singing in! even beta or hotfix…

[url<]http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4378/~/geforce-hot-fix-driver-version-378.57[/url<] C'mon guys, stop spreading fud!

• Waco

I won’t ever install it. There are far too many daemons with login details already, I don’t need another just for a few free games and features I don’t want or need.

• stefem

Fair, but you need to install it just to redeem the code, then you can remove it.

• MrDweezil

How long until Vega?

• Dysthymia

Almost 5 months. ) :

• stefem

Not to turn you down but looks AMD do the same. [url<]https://www.amd4u.com/amdgamepromo/[/url<] From the AMD's website: [quote<] Congratulations on the purchase of your AMD-based computer system. You may be eligible for a free game. To check eligibility and redeem your AMD game promo offer please follow these steps. Step 1: To create an account or to sign into your existing account click the REDEEM YOUR GAME button to the right. Step 2: Download the AMD Product Verification Tool and follow the instructions to redeem your game. [/quote<]

• DancinJack

Well this comment section ought to be fun to watch…

• morphine

You need to register an account to read it. Sorry.

• swaaye

I wonder how much insanity that would filter out….

• DancinJack

Probably none considering you have to have an account to comment. Otherwise we wouldn’t know who read/commented. So it’d be the same.

• Voldenuit

Some hardware sites don’t require an account to comment, not even 3rd party accounts. You can just comment as anonymous or use any handle.

• DancinJack

I assumed swaaye meant TR.