MSI gets chilly with four new Arctic-themed motherboards

A snowstorm just swept through my city this morning, and it appears that MSI has been feeling the arctic winds, too. The company has four new motherboards based on Intel's 200-series chipsets, and they're all as white and frosty as my neighborhood streets. The new offerings come in pairs—two Tomahawk Arctic ATX mobos and two Mortar Arctic microATX boards.

First up are the Z270 Tomahawk Arctic and H270 Tomahawk Arctic motherboards, differing only in the choice of chipset. MSI packed these models with features: two M.2 slots, USB 3.1 Type-A and Type-C ports, and an Intel Gigabit Ethernet controller. The main PCIe x16 slot is also reinforced with metal for better supporting heavy graphics cards. There's also onboard LED lighting done in a seemingly-tasteful fashion, and one of MSI's Mystic Light Sync headers for synchronizing RGB LEDs across components.

Next up are the H270M Mortar Arctic and B250M Mortar Arctic. These microATX motherboards are similar to Tomahawk models above, but in a smaller form factor. There's only one M.2 slot instead of two, but the rest of the feature set remains unchanged.

The Z270 Tomahawk Arctic is showing up in a couple online retailers for $145, and the H270 Tomahawk Arctic is making an appearance for $125. The smaller H270M Mortar Arctic retails for about $110, while the B250M Mortar Arctic is the cheapest of the bunch at $100.

• Dazrin

It looks like the only difference between this and the Z270 Tomahawk other than the color is that this one has “DDR4 Boost with Steel Armor” instead of just “DDR4 Boost”. And $5 more expensive.

It really surprises me that most manufacturers have so many almost identical boards.

• RickyTick

I kinda like these. At least it doesn’t have blinky lights everywhere.

Honest question:

• RAGEPRO

Three expansion slots. So, nothing.

• DPete27

Wrong sucka!! The LEDs are white.

• RickyTick

OMG, you’re right!! <sigh>

• Voldenuit

[quote<]What am I really giving up by choosing a mATX instead of a full size ATX? (for a non-SLI gaming rig)[/quote<] Nothing much. You can even cram a surprising amount of hardware into a mATX rig - back in college I had a uATX Wolfdale setup in a Temjin TJ-08 w a passively cooled 4850, a TV capture card, and an Asus Xonar card. and, like 6 hard drives. Thing is, you don't gain a lot over ATX, either. Case selection is a balancing act of size, cooling and expandability. My current uATX case (a Phanteks Enthoo Evolv) is as big as some full ATX cases, because I got sick of the GPU spooling up like mad in the old PS-09, and I went "eff this, I'm going full airflow overkill". Some options like the Corsair Bulldog or Ncase M1 are good fits for size + performance, though. If you really want small, mITX or NUCs/SFFs are the edge of the envelope, but beware cooling and especially noise from said cooling. That's where the tradeoffs really happen. As a uATX fan and user, I'd say that uATX doesn't really gain you much over regular ATX, it mostly limits the cases you look at.

• JosiahBradley

If only they had reinforced all the PCIe slots. Can’t do a SLI Galax hof build now lol.

• Anovoca

The intel arctic boards are cool but I will wait to see if they release an AMD Fryzen lineup.

• drfish

Let it go.

• Anovoca

or you’ll start cryzen?

• drfish

Your edit killed my joke. 😛

• Anovoca

oh, hahahaha I see. Here I thought you were just sick of the punz.

• drfish

[url=https://techreport.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=118986&p=1334387<]Me[/url<]? Never.

• Anovoca

I know I know, I did find it quite surpryzen

• drfish

lol’d

• cynan

So that would be fire themed? I suppose that’s apt: they are the red team.