PSA: Newegg will take 5% off sitewide until 9:59 PT tonight

This isn't a deals-of-the-week post, exactly. Newegg will usually discount a particular set of items, and we'll sniff out the best of them. This time around, however, the retailer is offering 5% off anything on its site if you use promo code MBLNEZY29 from now until 9:59 PM PT tonight.

There are a couple caveats, of course. The code is only good through m.newegg.com or through the company's mobile app, and it's only good for a maximum of $50 off your entire order. Still, any discount is a good discount, and lopping $50 off a $1000-or-more cart of new PC parts could mean the difference between one grade of component and another. If that sounds appealing, head over to the company's mobile site or app, load up your cart, and put the promo code to use.

• wingless

I was about to buy some DDR4 3200 in anticipation of Ryzen (while it’s cheap), but I realized I don’t yet know AM4 motherboards will handle XMP memory or if manufacturers will release AMP(AMD Memory Profile) memory.

Oh well….

EDIT: Some AMD motherboards support XMP now?! DANGIT!!!!

• ozzuneoj

Sorry if this sounds like whining, but I find mobile apps \sites to be such a chore to use that I rarely bother with these kinds of promos. After using PCs for so many years, using mobile stuff for the same tasks always feels like trying to work a computer through a mail slot with one finger.

… case in point, it has taken me several minutes to type\swipe this in on my phone.

I wish technology had gone more toward the cyberpunk side of things, where our mobile devices were mobile keyboards and anything more complex was accomplished via a direct connection to the brain. 😮

• Wonders

I’ll just leave these here…
      [url<]https://www.channeladvisor.com/blog/industry-trends/thanksgiving-day-the-mobile-tipping-point/[/url<] [url<]http://a.co/dKIcFqG[/url<]

I just sent this to my boss. Our mobile app (with a single part-time developer – me) lags way behind the web product because that developer’s time is being budgeted to do other things. I’m trying to get across the idea that the type of service this particular app serves is something people would want on their phones.

I sent other articles that showed that more than half of Google searches come from mobile and other similar “mobile passed desktop for this stuff long ago” factoids. I figure I’ll either get my point across or get fired. Lol

• ozzuneoj

Well yeah, most people just use their smart phones for nearly everything these days. That way they can waste twice as much time doing even more unimportant stuff than they did when they only had PCs… and now they can do it when they should be working, while they’re watching TV AND while they’re driving!

I do use a smart phone, but the only thing its really truly “great” at is being a mobile phone. The majority of the things smart phones can do are done better by devices with larger screens and more intuitive and precise input methods, its just the matter of space\portability that gives them the edge.

And I’d prefer a full sized (mechanical?) bluetooth keyboard for my phone… though I wouldn’t want to carry it around. 🙂

• Waco

Agreed. Mobile sites, with rare exception, suck for actually shopping. If you know exactly what you want it’s not too bad, but that’s not why I [used to] visit Newegg…

• MOSFET

[i<](Obviously we're too busy shopping to comment)[/i<]