Alphacool Eiswand combats hot parts with a big block of chill

Just like the ice wall guards the northern border of the Seven Kingdoms of Westeros from the White Walkers, Alphacool's Eiswand 360 CPU ("Ice Wall") wants to save your liquid-cooled rig from overheating. The Eiswand is an all-in-one CPU liquid-cooling solution, meant to stand alongside your PC instead of inside it. Old-enough gerbils may see a similarity to the Zalman Reserator from days of yore.

The core of the Eiswand contains a 360mm full-copper radiator equipped with six Eiswind fans and mounted above a pair of DC-LT pumps. For those particularly concerned about noise, the Eiswand comes with a "Silent Adapter" for restricting pump and fan speeds in order to keep the beast quiet with "only slightly reduced" cooling power. A black aluminum case surrounds all that gear. Alphacool says the Eiswand has enough cooling power for "any combination of CPU and GPU," too.

Alphacool includes a 4-meter black hose, two liters of coolant, the required connectors and parts, and anti-kink springs. The Eiswand has been in the wild for a few months, but it's now available in the U.S. through Aquatuning's American site for $368.

• Kougar

If a watercooler was going to go through the trouble of an external setup, why not make it 4x140mm instead for 50% more surface area?

• TwoEars

That’s the best video I’ve seen so far this year. Thanks for that.

• kamikaziechameleon

Seriously. Liquid cooling is COOL but is it really practical this day and age? How much extra head room to you even achieve with it on a modern CPU overclock?

I could always see something of a benefit to GPU’s but this seems out there.

• Shobai

Practical for whom? In what context?

I won’t speak for all people who employ watercooling. For me it was primarily about knocking down the noise floor at load and getting the weight of heatsinks off my motherboard (both the th CPU socket and GPU slot). Living in Queensland, it also helps with the high ambient temperatures…

Personally I find this specific kit impractical, but that’s because I move my PC regularly. Self contained water cooling, though, is where it’s at for me.

• cynan

For me, it was trying to overclock a 6 core i7 and a pair of HD 7970s at the same time while keeping noise levels sane.

• Froz

That video is… amazing.

• Mr Bill

If we had a telegenic gerbil to do this for a video review; just think how enthusiastic vendors would be to know their product would get the treatment.

• Anovoca

Still waiting for the next evolutionary state where case makers just make the front grill of the case out of a radiator.

• DPete27

[url=https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16811853040<]Putting the reservoir up there[/url<] looks zexier.

• Mr Bill

That would preheat all the air entering the PC.

• Anovoca

As opposed to mounting a radiator to the front of your case?

• cynan

Sure. But only by a couple of degrees, which is generally not a huge concern (especially If you are lucky enough to live in a climate-controlled environment). I modded an Antec 1200 case to fit a 360 rad as a front grill. Works fine. A decent loop general has a delta T (essentially how many degrees hotter the water in the loop is compared to ambient) of about 5 degrees or so. Air running over fins that are 5 deg hotter than the air itself isn’t going to heat things up inside too much.

• UberGerbil

One day too late for “Baby, instead of chocolate, how about Netflix and a big block of chill?”

“Gross, dad! You guys should get a room! I’m so moving out.”

• K-L-Waster

Promise?

• Mourmain

• wizardz

didnt Zalman and their Reserator tried this before? not entirely sure of their success but.. maybe if you put fur and horns on it, then it may look like a Buffalo?

• Goty

[quote=”Literally the first paragraph”<]Old-enough gerbils may see a similarity to the Zalman Reserator from days of yore.[/quote<] I know reading is time consuming, but come on...

• wizardz

you are right. i dont read, i just skip to the youtube video and then i comment because i just can. /s

my comment was specifically related to that sentence, meaning i dont think Zalman had much success, and i dont think this is a very good idea for a company to pursue.

• DrCR

I think it’s a great idea — as long as it’s copper lined and maybe 20 liters or some such.

• juzz86

The difference is that this one won’t be an entirely steaming piece of shit due to not having an entirely alloy build and relying on passive convection only.

Disappointed to see wimpy DC-LTs doing the duty instead of a single vario D5, but otherwise a solid setup once you get rid of the horribly restrictive Alphacool QDCs.

I used to run a 1080 external radiator bolted behind my desk, fill port tapped into the desk, coolant temp display and fan/pump control from underneath.

Worked extremely well (and extremely quietly) through several builds – but you’d only do it if you were plumbing in GPUs as well. Back to an internal-only loop now, though 🙂

• JosiahBradley

Now I can keep my Air Flow case and watercool for maximum overdrive!!!! Nice.

Awww dang.

Now that gives all the case manufacturers a renewed reason to keep drilling enormous grommeted holes in the back of every case. I was hoping that would go away now that Koolance and Reserators are obsolete, distant memories.

• DPete27

Now your FX-9590 can LITERALLY be a space heater!!!

Ooooh! [url=https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819113347<]it's on sale!!![/url<]