Display your graphics card with Thermaltake’s PCIe riser cable

If there's one part of a build that's worth looking at through a windowed case, it's the graphics card. The shrouds and cooling solutions for high-end graphics cards often have gorgeous designs. Unfortunately, installing those cards typically means pointing all that artwork down at the bottom of the case, leaving the backside of the graphics card's PCB as the only part in view. Setups like the one pictured below solve that problem, but they require special cabling. Enter Thermaltake's TT Premium PCI-E 3.0 Extender.

Thermaltake claims that its PCIe riser cable is engineered to be highly durable, foldable, and flexible, while still offering high performance. The ribbonized flat cable can be folded and twisted around tight corners, and includes protectors at both ends. According to Thermaltake, the use of five individual cables in the design increases EMI shielding.

Of course, all the flexibility in the world doesn't matter if the performance isn't there. The company's benchmarks show graphics cards performing the same whether they're plugged directly into the PCIe slot or using the riser cable. Thermaltake says that these cables allow for the full 8 GT/s per lane specified by the PCIe 3.0 standard.

Thermaltake's TT Premium PCI-E 3.0 Extender is available in three lengths: one foot (or 30 cm), two feet (or 60 cm), and three feet and three inches (1 m). All three are currently available on Newegg. The one-foot extender sells for $70, the two-foot cable goes for $85, and the three-foot extender sells for $110.

• xpentor

lol but i found this could be useful for my dell’s slim casing which only supports LP card

• Prestige Worldwide

• evilpaul

I’d go with a “backwards” case if having stuff fall into my graphics card’s whirling death fans for amusement was a thing I did. Corsair makes one I’m sure lots of other companies do as well.

• invinciblegod

I would be interested in such a product for my custom desk case project. However, Thermaltake’s previous reputation on amazon for shorting out and killing a graphics card and motherboard does not inspire confidence. Everyone on amazon recommends the 3M one sold on digikey so I will have to go with that one. Hopefully, this one isn’t as bad.

• alphadogg

I saw those reviews on Amazon. Very questionable product at this point. Would not buy.

• Fieryphoenix

These have SOME use, if you need to access slots that are normally covered by the heatsink of the GPU. I suppose.

• ronch

No LED lights?? This product is gonna be an EPIC FAIL.

• Cuhulin

Nah! LED lights are so 2016! Lasers are where it is at this year!

• JustAnEngineer

Sharks with frickin’ lasers…
        [url<]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bh7bYNAHXxw[/url<]

• ImSpartacus

It really will be, though.

I only buy riser cables with full programmable rgb lighting. .

• chuckula

So many dirty jokes but I’ll keep it clean.

Are these extenders, especially the longer ones, considered to be fully compliant with the PCIe 3.0 specification?

I’m asking because in the almost-ready-to-go PCIe 4.0 spec, the trace lengths even on the motherboard itself are so short that there need to be on-board repeaters just to reach all the PCIe slots on many motherboards.

PCIe 3.0 has laxer tolerances, but 3ft of extra cable on top of the traces that are already on the motherboard is still pretty long.

• RAGEPRO

According to marcan42 of the hacking group fail0verflow, “[url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpB49dhk2uQ&t=6m44s<]you can run PCI Express across wet string. [/url<]" (long video but well worth the watch.)

• godforsaken

awww… I was hoping for a physical demonstration.. I want to see the fps, latency and frame delivery difference comparison

• UberGerbil

Yeah, with PCIe tunnelling over RS-232 at 115,200 baud I think you’d still be waiting for that first frame to arrive. “Inside the Second” becomes “Inside the Hour.”

(Seriously: an uncompressed 8bpc 1920×1080 framebuffer is roughly 6MB. At 115.2kbp aka 14400 Kbaud, that one framebuffer will take 432 seconds, or a little over 7 minutes, to transfer.)

And yeah, that presentation was fantastic. Hardware and firmware and software and exploits and some magic internet mystery gumshoe work, a [i<]tour de force[/i<].

• DrCR

I just watched the whole session. Thanks for sharing the geekery.

• RAGEPRO

Thanks for letting me know you enjoyed it! Even though I had absolutely zero part in its production, I think it’s awesome and I’m glad other people think so too.

• psuedonymous

Getting an actual PCIe bus to operate over a riser is easy, even those shitty risers using old IDE ribbons will work and allow a device to communicate. But without PROPER (not just and adhesive foil wrap) shielding of those lanes you will be very vunerable to interference. Most from alien X-talk (other signals in the case) and near-end X-talk (the output signals bleeding into the input lanes). This riser appear to be using the same (or a variant on the same) Amphenol ribbons the excellently regarded 3M PCIe risera use, so is unlikely to have the signal interference issues cheap risers suffer from.

The other potential issue with risers is current capacity, with some being rated at somewhere below the 5.5A 12V max of the PCIe spec for 16X. A few years ago I’d have called this a non-issue for anyone considering splashing out on a riser (because you were almost certainly also going to be using a high-end card that would draw all its load from the PEG connectors), but with some recent high-end AMD cards drawing an actual appreciable mount from the PCIe slot (e.g. RX 480), and purely bus-powered cards like the 1050Ti becoming more powerful and more popular, it is something that needs to be considered. Worst case, you may need to add a ‘power injector’ (or mod the original riser) that cuts the power traces from the motherboard and adds an external power connector at the GPU end.

• Waco

I have 5 meter PCIe 3.0 cables at work. They exist, and they aren’t anything fancy (just copper with some shielding). They have active PCIe cards to utilize them, but the cards are pretty basic.

• Anovoca

Completely worthless for 99% of the cases on the market that don’t have the correct rear slot orientation. For the 1% of cases that this is useful, I have to wonder why this type of cable doesn’t already come standard.

Edit: Correction: I know exactly “why” it isn’t included, and all I can say is <-I–, you.

• Voldenuit

/Whips out the Dremel.

• BurntMyBacon

/Whips out bullhorn
        “PUT THE DREMEL AWAY. LET’S ALL STAY CALM AND TALK THIS OVER.”

/Joke

Don’t the cases that this could be used in already have risers? Very confused what people intend to do with this.

• b1candy

Cases like Thermaltake’s own View 27 do not come with the cable supplied. The case was 65 GBP and the cable another 20 GBP. Go figure.

Well, that’s completely retarded. Nice job Tt.

Also, these have been on the market for years, almost as long as the PCIe slot itself. Yes, you have even been able to buy them in black for a long time. The new thing here, is that Thermaltake has squandered an opportunity to cover it in goddamn hideous flashing lights.

Why is this even being covered on RGBLEDreport.com?! Get it out of here….

• BurntMyBacon

Well, you’ve got to report on the “Bad” products too. Otherwise, someone might accidentally buy an extender cable that doesn’t out illuminate the system’s motherboard, video card, and scrolling display board.

[i<]In response to:[/i<] [quote="Chrispy_"<]Why is this even being covered on RGBLEDreport.com?! Get it out of here....[/quote<]

• godforsaken

scotch tape, you tape the video card to the clear facing of your case and run the extension, I’m sure it won’t negatively affect the wind flow of the fans at all

Well now I want to Dremel out the side of my case and mount my video card to it. Thanks.