Ryzen CPUs and AM4 mobos are ready for pre-order

Greetings, gerbils. The magnitude of Ryzen's hype train Shinkansen means that we don't have to explain too much about what's going on. It's quite simple: Ryzen stuff is up for preorder. For those willing to dare, here are the CPUs and mobos you can reserve right away.

Buffalos

• AMD Ryzen 7 1800X—8 cores, 16 threads, 3.6GHz base and 4.0GHz turbo clocks: $499.99 (no stock cooler)
  • AMD Ryzen 7 1700X—8 cores, 16 threads, 3.4GHz base and 3.8GHz turbo clocks: $399.99 (no stock cooler)
  • AMD Ryzen 7 1700—8 cores, 16 threads, 3.0GHz base and 3.7GHz turbo clocks: $329.99

Asus motherboards

Gigabyte motherboards

MSI motherboards

ASRock motherboards

That's it, folks! Happy hunting!

• Freon

[url<]https://techreport.com/news/31228/amd-shows-off-ryzen-ready-chipsets-and-motherboards-at-ces[/url<] So it seems the tiny number of PCIe lanes reported here was incorrect? Can we get clarification? More specifically, when I poke around it seems there are more free or configurable lanes than just eight PCIe 2.0. I'm also unsure looking at new boards if it is configured more like the Intel 100-series were there are some "SATA/USB3 lanes" that can be detached and used for other controllers.

• albundy

no combo deals no dice. also, ram prices are an issue. they were much lower last summer than now.

• Freon

It’s a brand new product, if you want to bargain shop you’re likely going to have to wait a bit while the hype train runs out of steam.

Yes, RAM prices are pretty bad now, back up closer to the price I paid in October 2015 for my Skylake build.

• onlysublime

I’m shopping for a MB to go with the 1800X. from these, are there any that stand out for balancing value and performance? I don’t plan on any crossfire or sli type setup. after skimming the specs, i like the gigabyte gaming-5 one. any thoughts?

• ronch

What about ECS? EVGA? Soltek? Jetway? Epox?

• tahir2

I fancy a bit of Abit.

• Goty

DFI?!

(No, but seriously, I would kill for a new LanParty board.)

• rwburnham

Why is ATX so popular? The vast majority of PC gamers use only one video card. It would make more sense if MicroATX was the most popular, followed by MiniITX, with ATX being the niche product. So much wasted plastic.

• Krogoth

It is an aging form factor that support throughout the industry. The cost of retooling chassis and motherboard designs so far has outweigh any benefits of switch to another form factor.

• anotherengineer

and in cnd $$

[url<]http://www.canadacomputers.com/advanced_search_itemcode.php?keywords=CPAMD00004,CPAMD00003,CPAMD00002&utm_campaign=newsletter&utm_medium=170222&utm_source=exclusive1&utm_content=amd[/url<]

• mkk

Dang’it! The CPU I want doesn’t come with a stock cooler and the good new coolers arent out on launch day. Being 40+ I might just be so lazy as to wait a week with the build, but it’s frustrating…

• Gasaraki

I don’t know what you are talking about. The R7 processors are available with Wraith coolers.

• Bauxite

Yeah eventually, but it seems like all the places with pre-orders or notices of stock launch will only have the cooler-less versions of the X cpus.

Not really a noteworthy problem though, day 1 people are going to be the type to clock to the moon with aftermarket towers or water. For example the monster air cooler D15 am4 version is already sold out on amazon, though the adapter kits are still available. (early adopters that snooze…aren’t early adopters)

• NovusBogus

Look at it this way, waiting a week means you can check reviews to confirm that it really does perform as advertised.

• Bensam123

Based on those release dates NDA must either break this Friday or next Monday.

• DPete27

2 mATX out of 15…

• Krogoth

RGB LEDs are pure cancer. They are worse then the old LED fans non-sense back in 2000s.

• Geonerd

Shinkansen? That ain’t nothing.
    Ryzen has reached SUPERTRAIN levels of hype!
    [url<]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XowjPZF2iL8&t=1m38s[/url<]

• ronch

Such a far cry from when the original Athlon came out in 1999.

Good times, good times.

• astrotech66

I know, right? I remember when Athlon motherboards came in white boxes with nothing on them because manufacturers didn’t want Intel to know they were making them. The excitement around the Ryzen release is so much different.

• ronch

This is even farther from the time when AMD merely sold clones of Intel chips. Seeing a ‘different’ CPU with ‘Advanced Micro Devices’ or ‘Cyrix’ on it instead of the usual Intel moniker totally piqued my curiosity and set me on the path to preferring non-Intel CPUs from the ‘other guys’. And now just look at how far AMD has gone. From a clone supplier to one that could pull off a world class design like that. Come to think of it, they have already come of age back in the K8 days but since Core 2 came out they just sort of languished. Good to have them back like this.

• ronch

Not gonna buy for at least a year more. This is all just fun to watch but my FX-8350 isn’t even being taxed anywhere near 50% most of the time. Even when the time comes to buy I’d probably do so just because I wanna get Zen or my system quits, not because I really need the added performance.

• ronch

Taichi and Zen will go well together, no doubt.

• CheetoPet

The ROG board has 14 USB’s on the back, damn.

• Thrashdog

For your thumb drive RAID-10 array?

• chµck

I’ve barely owned that many USB devices in my entire life.

• juzz86

Good. So much wasted space on rear I/O clusters these days – there should never be open holes there.

• Lord.Blue

Not for me. I make a habit of building PCs with at least one PS/2 port on them. Old fashioned, maybe, but if your USB drivers go out,(mine did once) it’s nice to have a hardware connection to put them back.

• Mr Bill

Are these 8-legged Sleipnirian buffalos hanging out in the TR corral?

• morphine

Moo?

• Mr Bill

Grunt (because they have a higher IPC than a cow)?

• unclesharkey

I am actually curious how much the FX processors will drop with the release of Ryzen. I see Micro Center has the FX 8350 with a Wraith cooler for $129.99. I guess I better pick up a few extra MB for my FX processors just in case. Probably won’t upgrade for another year.

• ronch

Same here. Just don’t need to upgrade.

• Bauxite

Whoa, newegg is showing some of these even have intel nics, nice! (i211 which is not the pch+mac chip pair on native intel boards, so likely not a typo)

• Bauxite

But damnit, where are the x370 uatx boards, let alone any itx 🙁

• Waco

Any word on AM4 mounts for popular waterblocks? I haven’t looked much, but I remember seeing that the new socket required new coolers…

• astrotech66

I can only speak in regards to Cooler Master, since that’s what I own, but I know they’ll be selling upgrade kits for the AM4 socket for those coolers that need it starting March 2. There’s a list on Cooler Master’s website of all their coolers and whether they’re compatible with AM4 already or will need a kit.

• Waco

I just did a quick Google and it looks like updates will be available from most vendors. 🙂

• Bauxite

Not water but still relevant: Noctua is already shipping its adapter kits for 8 bucks on amazon, had one in my hand yesterday.

• CScottG

..yes, it’s a disturbing question:

-just how does one mount a buffalo?

The only reasonable answer I can arrive at is:

-very carefully.

• Goty

I know EK is releasing a bracket for the Supremacy and Watercool at least has renderings for AM4 retention hardware for the Heatkiller IV; not too sure about others.

• JosiahBradley

Incoming 1700x uATX build in 240 Air watercooled rig for work.

Edit: Up to 2 builds so far

I’m not pre-ordering, and I’m certainly not tempted to pre-order, but Newegg is not showing pre-order options for the motherboards I’ve clicked on (Asus X370-Pro, ASRock X370 Fatal1ty, MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbonara). Very odd. Amazon’s listings are for pre-orders, though.

• astrotech66

There were some AM4 boards on Newegg that you could pre-order and others that just showed as being out of stock. As you mentioned, the Asus X370-Pro that I’m interested in was “out of stock” and wouldn’t let me try to pre-order. I’m guessing Newegg will have that fixed soon, if they haven’t already.

Ah, so I see. Searching for AM4 on their website makes it easier to see what’s pre-order and what’s auto-notify.

Most interesting pre-order (edit: to me, anyway) is probably the [url=https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157769<]ASRock X370 Killer SLI/ac[/url<]

• astrotech66

Interesting … when I searched for the Asus X370-Pro on Newegg and found it, the button said pre-order, but I could not actually add it to my cart. But when I used the link posted above in the article, I was able to add it.

So, yeah, I’m a buffoon and a sucker … I ordered a Ryzen 7 1700X and the Asus motherboard to go with it. I’m confident it will be a good replacement for my six year-old i7-2600K, though.

I’m sure it’ll be a heck of an upgrade for you there. If it’s really going to be rare at launch then preordering was probably the right thing to do.

• astrotech66

I knew that if I waited till March 2 to order, they would be out of stock for sure. That’s just how my luck works. So you see, I had no choice but to pre-order. That’s my story and I’m sticking to it 😉

• Neutronbeam

Bruno, Bruno, Bruno…so, so close. The hammer comes down and misses the nail by THIS much.

Do I have to spell it out for you? The single most important thing we all want to know is–what is the TR gerbil friends and family discount that Scott has arranged for us? Also, can we get free queso and salsa with the chips?

Good thing I’m lookin’ out fer you boy. 🙂

• morphine

The discount is +100% on the price so that he has job security.

• Flying Fox

Now we need leaked benchmarks on I/O and other stuff on the motherboards. Platform support is the remaining big question mark.

• USAFTW

Where be the four legged buffaloes?

• K-L-Waster

Hangin’ out at Jeff’s place?

• invinciblegod

These don’t include the RGB stock coolers? I am disappoint. *buys anyways*

• Jeff Kampman

The Ryzen 7 1700X and Ryzen 7 1800X both have Extended Frequency Range support, so AMD expects that people will want to use aftermarket coolers to take advantage of the feature.

• Ochadd

I would have bit but both the Asus and Asrock boards I wanted aren’t showing available for preorder. Also how can you check memory validation and compatible coolers if the mfg websites don’t even have them listed?

• LostCat

I’m looking for a Mortar…either way though I won’t have the money right at release.

• brucethemoose

You know, I can’t be mad at AMD for putting pre-orders up before the NDA is lifted… Their purpose as a business is to make money as quickly as possible.

But I can be mad at the buffoons who pre-order the chip. Dear god, didn’t the pre-bulldozer hype teach people anything?

• BobbinThreadbare

There have been enough leaked benchmarks I don’t think a disappointment on that scale will happen. However, pre-orders in general are a good way to separate fools from their money.

• Firestarter

AMDs job is to hype this thing as hard as they can, and pre-orders contribute to that I think. Regardless of whether it’s sensible for any of us to pre-order something or not, I think AMD stands to benefit from allowing pre-orders

• hungarianhc

I pre-ordered it. If the reviews suck, I’ll return it. If they don’t, I’ll keep it. If there ends up being a shortage, I’ll sell it on eBay for a profit. Buffoon?

• K-L-Waster

Scalping, nerd style!

• cegras

To this day I cannot understand why, in a fast paced semiconductor industry where architectures are nearly developed in parallel, people carry grudges for so long.

• chuckula

Deep Thoughts:

If I want to wait for RyZen, does it violate my policy if I preorder RyZen?

• DragonDaddyBear

I feel like if you buy Ryzen you should eat your Intel chip as an act of atonement for trolling Ryzen so much (even if your skepticism was warranted).

• Redocbew

• AnotherReader

Any word on ECC support? Asus’s AM3 boards usually supported ECC.

• utmode

[url<]https://www.asus.com/gr/Motherboards/PRIME-X370-PRO/specifications/[/url<] AMD Ryzen™ Processors 4 x DIMM, Max. 64GB, DDR4 2666/2400/2133 MHz Non-ECC, Un-buffered Memory AMD 7th Generation A-series/Athlon™ Processors 4 x DIMM, Max. 64GB, DDR4 2400/2133 MHz Non-ECC, Un-buffered Memory So no ECC so far. But in future might be in WS board

• synthtel2

🙁

• AnotherReader

Thanks. Let’s hope that AMD hasn’t joined Intel in making ECC a market segmentation feature.

• ptsant

No support in Asus or Gigabyte.
      Confirmed support in ASRock, but does this mean “ECC DIMM will work (as non-ECC)” or will it really have proper error-correcting functionality?

Read here:
      [url<]http://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/X370%20Taichi/index.asp#Specification[/url<]

• AnotherReader

Thanks! It isn’t clear whether it means full ECC support.

• Airmantharp

When did MSI and Gigabyte become the upcharging ‘premium’ brands? Nice to see ASUS is sticking to the solid US$159 price-point.

That said, we got a line on when the (hopefully higher clocked) four- and six-core parts are coming? As it stands, Intel gives you more gaming performance for your money :/.

• maxxcool

Though it pains me to say this.. MSI boards have become MUCH higher quality (than they used to be) items in the last 2 years.

edit: coffee

• Airmantharp

I don’t doubt it, I’m just surprised to see their cheapest 370X board ring in higher than ASUS!

I don’t think it’ll be their cheapest 370X board once the dust settles. I have a feeling only the flagship-family premium boards can be pre-ordered.

• Geonerd

I hope you’re right. Back in the AM3(+) days, MSI had a rather awful reputation among overclockers due to the PS switching FETs tending to self destruct under even a mildly increased load.

• Demetri

The quad and hexa core Ryzen parts are lower clocked compared to the 1800X. Quad is rated @ 3.9ghz turbo, hexa even less @ 3.7. Not a good sign. They better overclock really well.