International Dog Biscuit Appreciation Day Shortbread

2. The Alienware 13 gets better with VR and impressive battery life @ Engadget
  3. Review: Asus ROG GR8 II SFF PC @ Hexus
  4. MSI GeForce GTX 1060 Armor OC 6 GB @ TechPowerUp
  5. Lian Li PC-O11 WX Oversized ATX case review @ Tom's Hardware

Games and VR

1. Stellaris' New Horizons mod is the best Star Trek game @ Rock Paper Shotgun
  2. Even when under pressure the Nintendo Switch isn't too hot to handle @ Nintendo Life
  3. Oculus Rift in space will be used for hand-eye coordination experiment @ Upload VR
  4. Ooblets, described as Harvest Moon meets Pokémon, is coming to Xbox One and PC @ Windows Central (a dangerous combination)

Science, hacks, makers and gadgets

1. NASA's longshot bet on a revolutionary rocket may be about to pay off @ Ars Technica
  2. Safety last: Russian hoverbike is equally amazing and horrifying @ New Atlas
  3. Nearby system has 7 Earth-sized planets, several in the habitable zone @ Ars Technica
  4. Flight of the Blackbird: The how, what and why of the incredible SR-71 @ New Atlas (I've got to find my way to a museum with one of these someday)

Tech news and culture

1. Disney develops room with 'ubiquitous wireless' charging @ Slashdot
  2. Apple's new spaceship campus gets a name, lifts off in April @ Ars Technica
  3. UPS develops 'rolling warehouse' system in which drones are launched from atop trucks @ Slashdot

Cheese, memes, and RGB LEDs

1. Is soft jazz the secret to great goat cheese? @ foodandwine.com
  2. G.Skill TridentZ RGB DDR4 memory review @ Guru3D
  3. Thermaltake Toughpower Grand RGB 750W PSU review @ Tom's Hardware
  4. Cats are full of mind-controlling parasites but owning one probably doesn't cause mental illness @ The Verge (that's exactly what mind-controlled scientists would say)
Colton Westrate

I host BBQs, I tell stories, and I strive to keep folks happy.

• Ninjitsu

Cloudfare’s had a security issue, don’t know if TR is affected.

[url<]https://blog.discordapp.com/safety-jim-psa-cloudflare-security-issue-77a4ecc48298#.b5y4pym1a[/url<]

• ronch

In case you were wondering what happened to K12, here:

[url<]http://www.pcworld.com/article/3106852/amd-turns-back-to-x86-for-server-reboot-as-it-downgrades-arm.html[/url<]

• AnotherReader

It was the right decision to delay K12. When you don’t have the vast resources of an Apple or Intel, competing with a good alternative in a mature ecosystem is better than trying to create a new ecosystem.

• HERETIC

Flight of the blackbird was a really nice read.

From a tech site perspective-things like “built by engineers using slide rules.”
    is amazing.

Reminds me of the early days in my worklife when I had to do calculations like-
    66-3/16 inches times 3.14159.
    we used log books.
    how simple the metric system and calculators made it in the 70s

• LoneWolf15

Colton,

FYI, the Dayton-Wright AF museum in Ohio has a YF-12A interceptor, which was the prototype of an SR-71 modified for interceptor fighter duties, which never made production (only a couple were made). It’s probably the closest to you.

Great aircraft for reconnaissance but when you have a turn radius the size of the state of Utah, you kind of get one weapons pass and it’s over, so not a great fighter plane.

You and I should do a road trip sometime –ther’s a crap-ton of amazing aircraft.

• drfish

Dayton is a little far, but I’d be up for the Air Zoo. 🙂

Maybe we can make a mini-meet-up out of it, I’m sure Shoes would be in.

• LoneWolf15

I’d be in. Note: Dayton has 2-3 times the hangars and sometimes special events (like the B-25 fly-in they had a couple of years ago to commemorate the Jimmy Doolittle raid in WW2).

• DPete27

Pretty cool stuff about the Plasma Rocket and the 7 new planets!!

• Neutronbeam

“Cats are full of mind-controlling parasites” to “Cats ARE mind-controlling parasites”; there, FTFY.

No thanks, I’m just here to help.

• excession

Loving your shortbread. 🙂

There’s an SR-71 at the Udvar-Hazy Space Centre in Virginia – my friend from DC took me last time I was over there but didn’t say what we were going to see. It’s a SERIOUSLY impressive aeroplane. Only outshone by the Shuttle in the hangar next door!

• drfish

Holy crap, I should have known this but there is one about an hour from me in [url=http://www.airzoo.org/page.php?menu_id=26<]Kalamazoo[/url<]!

• Neutronbeam

Is there a gal for you there too?! [url<]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFv_PoZ2iP0[/url<]

• LoneWolf15

He’s already got his gal, but I dig the Glenn Miller reference.

• south side sammy

the hover bike……. really lame. I was expecting anti gravity involving electromagnetism and mercury. what did I get, a drone with a seat.

• Duct Tape Dude

Apparently, amputation bikes [i<]can[/i<] be really lame: [quote<]lame (adj): (of a person or animal) unable to walk normally because of an injury or illness affecting the leg or foot.[/quote<]

• Wonders

You just made my day. (And it’s been a rough one thus far)
    [quote<]International Dog Biscuit Appreciation Day Shortbread [...] 1. Is soft jazz the secret to great goat cheese?[/quote<]

• blastdoor

[quote<]Nearby system has 7 Earth-sized planets, several in the habitable zone @ Ars Technica[/quote<] If I were emperor of earth I would forget about putting a human on Mars and instead focus on sending out probes to these nearby star systems with potentially inhabitable planets. Of course, I realize it would take centuries to send the probes there. But perhaps they could be built to send updates back as they proceed along the way. Does anyone know if a telescope (of whatever type -- optical, radio, whatever) would yield substantially better data if it were just outside of our solar system? How much closer to a star system would we need to send a probe before we could start learning noticeably more than we can learn from our current perch?

• Beahmont

Centuries? Try ~350 to ~400 thousand years to cover the 40 light year distance at the fastest speed we’ve ever managed to accelerate a probe at.

• blastdoor

We need to go faster than that.

If we could go 0.2 c, we could get the probe there in 200 years, then another 40 for info to come back.

• K-L-Waster

Don’t put any instant-gratification junkies on *that* team…

• RickyTick

Of course, I realize it would take hundreds of centuries to send the probes there.

FTFY, unfortunately.