Ryzen CPUs enjoy strong pre-launch demand

If you're in the market for a CPU upgrade, AMD's Ryzen processors could be just the thing. We say "could be" because Jeff hasn't poked his head out of the lab yet to give us the go-ahead. It seems that some folks aren't keen on waiting for independent reviews, though, because as of this writing the three currently-available-for-pre-order Ryzen CPUs have all found spots in the top six best-selling computer components on Amazon.

Another two of those top six products are Ryzen-compatible AM4 motherboards. That's a surprisingly-healthy showing of interest for processors that haven't even hit retail yet. For its part, Newegg has already run out of pre-order stock for the top-end Ryzen 7 1800X part.

Buyers seem to be trusting that the new CPUs will perform well, offer good value, or a combination of both. Or maybe AMD fans just want to stick it to Intel. Still, it's hard to fault people for their excitement given recent history and the performance claims made by AMD. If the company's numbers are even close to accurate, the chips should be capable competitors against Intel's line-up. If in fact you actually can buy a fully-built PC (with memory, storage, a Radeon RX 480 graphics card, and RGB LED lighting) for the same price as an Intel processor with roughly similar performance, the choice isn't difficult. As for me, I'll be waiting on Jeff.

• ronch

Hey Jeff, how’s it going there in the labs? I hope Ryzen is churning our some very impressive numbers. We all wanna be happy on Tuesday, ESPECIALLY those who pre-order.

• tipoo

Prediction: Buffalo

• ptsant

I thought I’d wait for the reviews, but availability in Europe is very spotty. It took several months to get a decent price on the Rx480. So when I saw the 1700X at MSRP I pre-ordered but haven’t yet paid (pay by wire). Delivery is expected before the end of March (yes, it’s that bad) and I thought if I lost the batch, I’d have to wait for May.

Three hours after my pre-order, price rose from $439 to $459. So, I’m happy I locked the lower price. For what it’s worth, 7700K goes for $389.

• albundy

why would you pre-order before the real benchmarks come out? thats just wasting hype money.

• FormCode

Grr, my i3-3220 is getting mighty long in the tooth. And here i thought i could grab a 4/4 unlocked 3 series next month and an RX470*/1080p freesync monitor… I don’t encode. I don’t stream. I don’t need all that horsepower damnit ! (The upgrade itch is real and I’m forced to wait until the summer is over. Woop’dee’doo)

***Might as well wait for Vega if I’m at it.

• tacitust

Low-end RX 480s can be had for $150 to $160 (after rebate) at Newegg if you time your purchase right, which is only a few bucks more than most RX 470s. The difference in horsepower is more than worth the extra cash (unless you’re never going to need it).

• brucek2

I really don’t understand not waiting on the reviews and even a week or two after launch to see if the CPUs and/or any motherboards are having teething issues. Even if you’re 100% sure this is the right component for you based on paper specs, there’s basically all upside and no downside in letting someone else find the “gotchas” for you if there are any.

• Firestarter

unless supply is really tight and you want your shiny toy now. I’m not saying it’s prudent to pre-order because it almost never is, but I don’t blame AMD for making the most of their hype

• tipoo

There’s no cost to pre-ordering it and returning it except for a bit of time, on the flip side you may risk not getting one if it does well. Fully refundable pre-orders hurt nothing.

• tacitust

There is no rational reason not to wait, but there are those who are AMD fans, those who have bought into the marketing hype, those who have money to burn, those who buy for bragging rights, and those who buy because they absolutely must have the latest and greatest device/gadget/CPU etc.

You can’t really apply logic to the purchasing decisions of people like this. It’s a gut thing, not a brain thing.

• Firestarter

well coming from an i5-2500K, a 8C16T processor from the underdog with better performance in every metric (safe assumption) is very tempting. When you’re looking to spend i7-7700K kind of money, getting twice as many cores/threads with roughly comparable single thread performance (stretching it, I know) sounds like an awesome deal. Oh yeah it doesn’t have an iGPU (who cares)

• Klimax

Warning: Not safe assumption at all!

• Firestarter

no? If it’s slower than an i5-2500K in any measurable way, then I don’t think I could recommend it to anyone

• tipoo

I think it’s reasonable to think it’s likely to beat Sandy Bridge. By my guestimate probably around Haswell IPC. If it’s not above the 2500K per-core, you’re right, ehh. A modest Kaby Lake i3 practically beats that now.

• srg86

Oh yeah it doesn’t have an iGPU (who cares)

I care, I use the iGPU (I don’t play games).

• Duct Tape Dude

[quote<]you actually can buy a fully-built PC (with memory, storage, a Radeon RX 480 graphics card, and RGB LED lighting)[/quote<] For a moment I thought they let Zak write about something without RGB LEDs. But all is right in the world.

• RAGEPRO

At this point it’s a meme. A “may-may”, if you will.

• thedosbox

At this point, it’s a drinking game.

No, I don’t know when the last time I went to a meeting was. Why do you ask?

• eofpi

RGB LEDs Anonymous?

• Ochadd

I broke down and preordered this morning. Can pour over reviews on 2/28 and cancel if it turns out to be a dud. I have little doubt there will be $400 worth of performance in the 1700X I chose. I get satisfaction not buying Intel. Releasing yet another quad core, raising prices for the same performance, using shitty TIM, and charging $1650 for the 6950x are a few things to have ticked me off.

• mkk

I just want to say Pod! Pod! Pod!

• Billstevens

The marketing material has been very good and their early launch line up looks great. I hope their single core performance ends up being competitive. In which case I would consider jumping to 8 core once the hype dies down.

Looking forward to CPUs and seeing them hopefully become competitive and interesting again. Upgrading CPUs has become a real bore under the dominant Intel.

• Growler

I hope no one is buying these processors hoping they come with buffalo.

• kiriyaaoi

Please tell me the Ryzen launch is enough to finally drag the TR podcast back into existence? 🙂

• cygnus1

Whatever it takes.

Also, guest starring Scott Wasson?

• USAFTW

YES PLEASE!!!
        Scott Wasson + David Kanter, architectural deep dive with all the detailed nitty-gritty about what makes the thing tick.

• south side sammy

feline parasites….. LOL

• ClickClick5

Scott’s response:

#ididthat

But that would be a knock out podcast no doubt!

• denstieg

Look no further than Pc-per.

• flip-mode

As long as the articles don’t suffer for it.

• TwoEars

I have been missing the podcasts.

• robertsup

we waiting for x299 then good results of ryzen will prevent intel to sky prices too high

• NoOne ButMe

I bet at March 2nd 6C and 4C versions on sale.
    [i was wrong, they are 2Q, thanks Chuckula]
    AMD getting up sells like this. Good for them for upsells.

But preordering sucks. Preorders start when reviews go live, or not at all.

• chuckula

[quote<]I bet at March 2nd 6C and 4C versions on sale.[/quote<] Nope: [url<]https://www.techpowerup.com/230928/amd-ryzen-5-six-core-processors-to-launch-in-q2-2017[/url<] 6 core processors are next quarter (and probably not April 1), and the 4-core parts show up sometime in the second half of the year. Those photos are directly from AMD's own press event.

• cygnus1

I hadn’t heard about that release schedule. It definitely makes me think 2 things: 1)they’re not actually producing silicon with fewer cores, just disabling cores that don’t pass QA tests and 2) that their yields are quite good and they’re getting mostly fully functional 8 core parts.

• K-L-Waster

Or, they want to enter the market with a bang, so coming in with the best performing members of the lineup and building a good rep is the approach they want.

This is basically the same release approach NVidia takes with their GPUs (release the 80 and the 70 chip on launch, then a month or 2 later release the 60, then a few months later the 50…) — works for them, no reason it shouldn’t work for AMD CPUs as well.

• NoOne ButMe

Nvidia also tends to tape out that way. GP100 was the first Pascal part to tape out to my knowledge. November 2015.

GP104 taped out before 106 and certainly before 107 also.

• BobbinThreadbare

3) They want to sell the most expensive parts to the greatest number of people possible, and over time pick up more and more price conscious customers.

• NoOne ButMe

I still think this is true. We shall see with exact release dates of R5/R3

• NoOne ButMe

Had not seen, thank you. Editing post now to state I was wrong.

• MileageMayVary

I’m waiting on the 6 core versions + reviews.

• ronch

I hope prices don’t go through the roof because of too much demand and inadequate supply. Looks like they’ll need more than a hard launch to meet demand. How about a harder launch?

• Voldenuit

I have a feeling that CPU launch demand is less spikey than GPU launch demand. It’s a lot more hassle to rebuild your system, install mobo, install OS than it is to plug in a new GPU. Also, for*most* users, the gains are going to be less immediate.

• blastdoor

I definitely understand the enthusiasm, but I’ll be waiting for reviews, real world experience, etc.

My impression is that CPUs are complicated things. Sometimes brand new ones don’t work exactly as expected.

I’m not really even worried about that (though I think you have an excellent point). I’m more concerned about the flaky ASMedia-licensed USB controllers baked into the chipset.

• srg86

As well as flaky USB, what is the AHCI SATA support like in current AMD (used to be ATI) chipsets, they also used to be a bone of contention.

• The Egg

I’m concerned about more than just the USB aspect of things. If ASMedia can’t handle a simple USB chip, what does that say about the rest of the chipset?

• DPete27

[quote<]My impression is that CPUs are complicated things. Sometimes brand new ones don't work exactly as [s<]expected[/s<] advertised.[/quote<] FTFY. Ryzen sure seems like a good product, but lets not forget how good AMD marketed Bulldozer to be......

• flip-mode

The nice thing about a CPU pre-order is that, unlike video games, it can be canceled or returned.

• ptsant

True, but it usually takes months of actual use to discover the nastier bugs (FDIV, TLB etc).

Most of the early experience is ruined by relatively simple bugs, but which are easier to correct. Completely agree about the reviews.

• Klimax

Based on available info ZEN is sort of Sandy Bridge lite with few Haswell bits and absence of full-speed of AVX.

Unless they once again botched memory subsystem or something similar it will be competent but nothing earth shattering contrary to hype machine.

Thought something about frequency bugs me. But without reviews nor personal experience with ZEN I can’t pinpoint it.