Rumor: Samsung Galaxy S8+ specs detailed

We've been so busy with PC hardware news lately that we haven't really looked into Samsung's Galaxy S8 handset yet. Since the release of the Galaxy Note 7 ended in catastrophe, there's been a lot of attention focused on Samsung's next move. The Guardian wrote last month about the upcoming Galaxy S8 and revealed that the device is reportedly coming in two sizes. Yesterday afternoon, infamous mobile specifications leaker Evan Blass tweeted a listing of specs for the larger version, supposedly called the Galaxy S8+.

Prior leaks pinned the phone's display at 5.7" or 6.2" sizes. Judging by recent rumors, it seems like the Galaxy S8 will be the 5.7" model, while the 6.2" screen belongs to the Galaxy S8+. In an article at VentureBeat, Blass claims that the displays have an 18.5:9 aspect ratio (close to 2:1) and shaped with Samsung's "Edge" curve as standard. He went on to state that the phones will be nearly or completely devoid of bezels, with a screen-to-body ratio of 83%.

The reported tech specs include a few highlights, like continued MicroSD card support and an iris scanner. In a later tweet, Blass claims that the Galaxy S8 will be the first device to hit the market with a 10-nm Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 SoC inside. It's not completely clear whether he meant to refer to the S8, S8+, or both.

Korean IT news site ETNews claims that Samsung is skipping the Mobile World Congress event at the end of this month, something that lines up with Blass' predictions. Rumors say that the company will be showing the new phone in New York City on March 29 and launching it on April 21.

• ahmedabdo

Combustible edition please?

• albundy

its all sub-par after the S5. the edge’s are a huge deterrent. definitely not worth the huge cost considering other brands price performance ratio and features and are touchwiz-less. its getting boring with the size increases. why not just sell a 7″ instead of a 6.x inch phone? oh right, cuz by then, its a tablet! and a $1000 tablet is pretty much at a surface pro cost but a fraction of the performance. I might upgrade to an LG V20. They seem to be getting close to the $300 mark and have every feature that i want and need.

• ozzuneoj

Why do so many people feel like they need the latest phones? The market is full of phones from the past 3-4 years that are more than capable of doing everything that most people need with very little perceptible difference between them. The screens are all quite good, the cameras range from good to fantastic (for a phone), they are fast, plenty of storage…

I have an LG G2 I bought used for $125 about a year ago and it is a great device. Apps load as quickly on it as I’ve seen on other newer devices, even tablets. You can get these things for like $80 now. And yet Joe-shmoe that likes to watch youtube videos on his lunch break and send text messages feels that he needs something with twice the RAM and CPU power and a screen that’s higher resolution than any content he’s going to view on it?

Heck, the G4 is even more powerful with improvements in every area (except the early versions having heat related problems) and can be found brand new for $175 easy. And yet people blow $500 on a Galaxy S6, or $700+ for an S7. I’m not an Apple fan, but I can acknowledge that at least there are no cheap alternatives if you want a recent iPhone… they’re all either expensive or a couple forced updates away from obsolescence.

With Android though, there are tons of options every generation, making for a completely overloaded market year after year. Stores can’t sell them fast enough before they are replaced with the next model and shipped off to be sold at a steep discount.

Its obvious that with the VR craze the hardware industries (phones especially but I see PCs doing this as well) are desperately trying to give people reasons to want more up to date devices, because as it is, we’ve got plenty of pointless stuff to do with our current devices and they’ve been more than capable of doing it all for at least 3 years now.

• Wonders

[quote<]Why do so many people feel like they need the latest phones?[/quote<] Here's an example of a self-reinforcing perception: Say I know a few people with Galaxy S3s that bought them when they came out. Because they've seen daily use for years, the phones are in miserable condition, both physically worn down and bloated with software cruft. Say then, I chance upon a brand-new Galaxy S7. It looks and feels like space-age technology compared to those old pocket jalopies. Although sporting a meager handful of new features, the S7 crushes the perception contest because it is brand spankin' new. Now, if they started selling brand new S3s next to S7s at the T-Mobile store, then things would get interesting.

• Gasaraki

The G2 was a GREAT phone. Battery lasts forever, good screen. Loved that phone.

• TwistedKestrel

I don’t need the latest phone. I need a phone with an OS that is up to date… apparently that means I can’t keep a phone for more than three years

• ozzuneoj

My G2 has been running Marshmallow since I got it and unlocked the bootloader last January.

If you absolutely need the latest OS version, there are options out there. I guess it depends on the end user whether it makes more sense to just upgrade every couple years, or to look for devices that have greater flexibility and third party support.

I’ll admit, my needs do not require the latest operating system, but I like to have that anyway if possible, so I buy devices that are either unlockable or have good 1st party support without having to buy something expensive.

• rudimentary_lathe

I would love to go out and buy a Moto G4 Play tomorrow for $150. I don’t need all the bells and whistles of the flagships. I won’t though because the software update support is terrible. In a year it probably won’t have security updates, and I’m not willing to use a device with software that isn’t up to date. That’s a non-starter for me.

It’s a real shame Google cancelled their Nexus line. Those phones were priced in the mid-range and you could expect ~3 years of updates. There’s nothing like it now. Apparently Android One is finally coming to North America this summer, so we’ll see what that brings.

• rudimentary_lathe

This phone has quadruple the resolution of my desktop monitor (well, one of them anyways). In a ~6″ screen. Go figure.

I will not be buying any of these flagship devices for an arm and a leg until they commit to more than two years of regular software/security updates. If I spend big, I want my investment to last at least 3 years, and ideally closer to 5.

• adisor19

Looks like an IPhone is in your future.

Adi

• PrincipalSkinner

Good boy.

Tim

• cegras

I think it’s actually easier to make these screens, assuming they’re done by photolithography.

• End User

[quote<] Samsung is skipping the Mobile World Congress event [/quote<] Hopefully investing the money they save into their battery tech.

• End User

S8+

Samsung just had to use +. WTF.

They did that with the Galaxy S6 too. There were four phones. Two Edge and two not. One + a piece.

• RdVi

I can’t say I like this trend of taller screens. Personally I found 16:9 screens with on screen buttons perfect. With slim side bezels you could go up to a 5.5″ screen and have it work one handed for people with above average hands. 16:9 with seperate buttons was a bit of a stretch for one handed use at anything over 5.1″, and I hate holding the phone that low down to reach the buttons as it doesn’t feel as balanced in my hand.

17:9 seems like a good trade off, but 2:1 really is going to be too tall to reach the nav bottons and anything at the top of the screen without changing your grip mid use or using two hands. Needing to do either means a no buy for me.

• Sargent Duck

[quote<]Impress your friends, confound your enemies[/quote<] Woah, what does this guy do to have enemies?

• Redocbew

Not sure, but at least they can be easily confused by new phones. I bet that’s a useful trick.

• DataMeister

Friends of course know what kind of phone you have, but enemies are like “is that a tablet he’s talking on?”

• CuttinHobo

Packed so full of goodies while still retaining the enormous headphone jack?? Must be magic.

• UberGerbil

No, clearly just cowardice.

• DPete27

[quote<]Galaxy S8 will be the first device to hit the market with a 10-nm Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 SoC inside.[/quote<] Yeah, because they strong-armed everyone out of the market for the 835. LG G6 will launch before the S8 but because Samsung bought out all the initial Snapdragon 835s, the G6 sounds like it will launch with the 821 instead.

• willmore

I, too am saddened by this, but not for the same reason. This makes me sad because Sansung already has great chips in house that I’d much rather see in my phone. ;(

I’m confused by the fact that North America gets Snapdragon-based devices and the rest of the world gets Exynos. My theory is that it’s because Verizon and Sprint still have legacy CDMA 3G networks, so it’s easier to buy Snapdragons than it is to do CDMA radios.

edit: typo

• tsk

Your theory is correct. It has everything to do with the CDMA network.
          But hey, at least we get a direct comparison of the SD835 and the Exynos 8895 with the same thermal solution.

• willmore

That is partially it. But the issue isn’t the hardware as much as it is the software. Many manufacturers use different sub models of their phones (look at the many models of something like a Moto E) for different carriers. So, there’s nothing really stopping Samsung from having two different models in NA.

What does give them pause is the QC and other work needed for the software component of the devices. And, I can’t believe that is so horrible. You’ll already need an English variant for, uhh, England, so why not make a few spelling corrections and ship it in NA for carriers where it make more sense?

You know, now that I think of it, that excuse sounds weak. I’m guessing it’s licenscing issues. I wonder if Qualcomm charges different royalties on their radios depending on the market they’re sold into?

• adisor19

Correct. Qualcomm currently has the only chips with CDMA support.

Adi

• bthylafh

They missed a new feature on that list:

* Won’t burn your house down.

• Redocbew

And it’s TSA friendly.

• I.S.T.

I hate you for beating me to the explosion joke.