Join AMD for some noon-time Capsaicin & Cream

Greetings, gerbils. As we all know, there's nothing better to add to chili pepper than some really nice cream. At least that's what AMD's telling us, since its Capsaicin & Cream event is kicking off in little over 20 minutes, at 12:30 CT (or 10:30 CT and 18:30 GMT). Although the company doesn't say it out loud, we'd wager we can expect a few tidbits of info, sneak peeks, and maybe some sexy glamour shots of the upcoming Vega graphics cards. You can watch the live-stream here:

Along with the likely info on Vega, AMD will be showing off the "hottest […] VR technologies" and "previews of the summer's hottest PC games and VR experiences." AMD is only smart to try and take the Ryzen hype Kōtetsujō to a stop in the land of graphics cards with its Summer of Radeon initiative. Everybody's waiting for the red team's new cards with bated breath, and today's reveal could leave some gerbils foaming at the mouth in anticipation. Of course, Nvidia may well try to rain on AMD's parade.

• chuckula

Watching again with sound, Raj must live in a strange country.

Apparently, where he lives, a $339 i7 7700K that can easily run two Rx 480s in crossfire costs $1300.

He should move to America where the prices are much more reasonable.

• Unknown-Error

That was a very boring event.

• tipoo

Was that guy Ryzenberg?

• Freon

Welp a whole lot of nothing revealed here. *yawns*

• willyolioleo

so vega will be called vega. that’s convenient. wonder if they’ll keep the name for Navi.

RyNavi

• deruberhanyok

No Vega product details, awkward demos, bunch of guys talking about VR, still no Vega details, and Raja talking about ice cream at the end.

Sigh. :/

• chuckula

That’s why I’ll watch the Ngreedia event tonight.

They’ll probably have more Vega details.

And Raja even promised Vega stuff at the start. :-/

• chuckula

I didn’t have sound up, but I’m pretty sure he said something to the effect of Vega being awesome.

Plus I think he proved that if you turn on Vega’s cache it performs better than if you turn it off.
        So at least there was a point to having the cache.

• the

From the introduction, all the good stuff happens at the after party anyway.

• deruberhanyok

I mean, I guess that’s nice, but every time they don’t show it off makes me feel like they’re intentionally delaying because it’s going to be underwhelming.

Their marketing is mind-boggling. Talk up a bunch of hype for a bulldozer refresh for four years in a row, but be quiet about Polaris. Hype up socket AM1 and then let it die, but tell everyone Ryzen is going to be great (and all early indications are that it’s going to be a huge improvement) but don’t show benchmarks or give details to anyone who actually wants to know. Tell everyone Vega is going to be great but don’t even tell people when they’ll be able to buy it or what they’ll be able to buy.

I don’t want a paper launch here, but I’d like some sort of sign that they actually have a product waiting in the wings for us to buy. Instead it’s just… some guys in jeans and t-shirts, trying to channel Steve Jobs and not doing a good job of it, talking about ice cream and TressFX. Which, like, wasn’t TressFX a thing three years ago?

Sigh. As long as Ryzen and Vega are good then they can basically sell themselves. It worked with Polaris at least.

• chuckula

You know it was a successful event when it ended with Raj partially disrobing on stage.

Plus with the name Radeon RX Vega, we can now call AMD fans “Vegans”

• gerryg

Bruno, didn’t you mean “hayajiro” not “Kōtetsujō”? Former is a train, latter I believe is the Iron Fortress. I would think “hype train” would be apropos to this, wouldn’t you? Hmmm.. Hype Fortress. A new thing?

• Neutronbeam

Not for Bruno it isn’t….

• morphine

Click the link, it’ll become clearer.

• EzioAs

I’ve never watched the series but the Kōtetsujō (Iron Fortress) in the description refers to the stations and the hayajiro is the armored steam locomotive. So, maybe gerryg was right?

• morphine

Grrrr… 😉

From the summary of Episode 1 on Wikipedia:
          [quote<]On the island country of Hinomoto, the hayajiro [i<]Kōtetsujō[/i<], an armored train [...][/quote<] It's not like I watched the show or anything like that... 😛 (It's awesome, by the way)

• EzioAs

It’s really awesome then? I’m a bit put off by the mere 12 episodes (20 min per ep) for a serious show but if it’s fast-paced, high quality stuff, it might be worth to gave the series a try.

• morphine

Yep, there ain’t much filler. The train just keeps going. 🙂

• gerryg

Ahh, the train is [i<]named[/i<] Iron Fortress. Didn't know that. Guess I should watch the show, then! Thanks morph

• morphine

You’re welcome. And next time around, don’t forget: I’m always right =D

• chuckula

AMD has a guy with a leather jacket onstage.

Checkmate Jen Hsun, Checkmate!

BUFFALO VISION!!!!!!!

VICTORY!!!

Kyle be lookin’ old. Then again, so am I.

Wait a minute. [url=http://www.hardocp.com/article/2015/09/09/amd_roy_taylor_nano_press<]Kyle and Roy[/url<] on stage together. This is a momentous occasion.

• chuckula

We need to place bets on the number of “special guest stars” who are going to be onstage later tonight showing the exact same demos running on Nvidia’s stuff instead of AMD’s stuff.

• tay

Sprint Vector looks like crap. What the hell. Waste of time.

but the guy just said it “just works”

• Firestarter

we’re going to look so silly waving our arms around to move in the game

• Freon

Asychronous reprojection… with no explanation what the hell that means?

Sounds a lot like simultaneous multi-projection NV has touted for VR.

If VR takes off they definitely need a competitive feature, SMP really looks amazing in terms of saving a lot of cycles processing data that gets filtered away, hope this “ARP” feature is similar.

• chuckula

The only things you need to know are:
      1. If it says “asynchronous” in it then it’s AWESOME
      2. And Ngreedia can’t do it, because async.

• Freon

This may just be async time warp…

• Neutronbeam

Okay Bruno…now this is just odd; but considering the source, that’s expected.

I sometimes indulge in anime, and have been watching a series on Amazon Prime and kinda enjoying it…Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress.

I AM impressed that you’ve been, ah, training so diligently.

• Firestarter

“we have 100%”

aaand it crashed 😀

Live demo crash is my favorite crash.

Mantle shout-out

• chuckula

Since I won’t be around for Ngreedia’s dog & pony show later today just let me say: Your hyped up demos suck just as much as AMD’s!

[Edit: Thanks for the downthumbs AMD fan-guys, and you are totally right: Ngreedia might not have a live crash, so they’ll have to work to match AMD.]

• tay

Haha <3 this is a bit garbage.

• chuckula

“Making Vega accessible to millions of gamers on day one”

Well, that would be a step up over the number of Polaris cards that were actually available at launch.

[Oh crap, he didn’t mean that… he meant “cloud”… oh how I hate thee cloud].

I’m feeling very boo-hiss about all this.

I should have seen this coming, honestly. Liquid Sky.

• Glix

When it rains, it rains hard! 😀

/disconnected.

• Freon

Why sell hardware when you can rent it? :[

• chuckula

So if you gimp Vega by turning off its cache it runs slower.

True, but not all that revolutionary.

Yeah, I’m not really getting that demo. Is HBCC a piece of external storage? Or the HBM that’s already on the card? If it’s the latter, it seems like kind of a dumb demo – all the stuff would be stored in RAM, which nobody does.

• jts888

I think HBCC is new dedicated GPU logic to let the hardware itself manage what’s on local VRAM vs. host memory, without relying on explicit shader code to trap conditions, generate some sort of interrupt or notification to the host driver, waiting for a resource to be placed in a globally visible buffer and DMA’d across PCIe, etc. It sounds very much like hardware managed MegaTexturing with lower latency, which could be beneficial but would definitely require rendering engine support to use meaningfully.

[b<]edit:[/b<] forgot a word

That would certainly make sense but I would hope that at least some of the benefit can come through the driver, or else if developers have to implement it could be very hit and miss.

• jts888

It was really poorly emphasized, but the point was that they could run in “legacy” mode and cap usable VRAM low enough that performance heavily suffered from asset swapping, then enable HBCC functionality with the same VRAM cap and get 1.5x average and 2x low frame rates.

If AMD had competent marketing, they’d just try to sell this as a RAM doubler, which would be vastly easier for consumers to grasp. (RX Vega with 8GB? Really like a 16GB card!)

• chuckula

Over under on VR guy falling off the stage?

Something about this first demo seems off around the edges. Things seem to get much wider once they get towards the sides of the screen. But it’s a VR demo so maybe it looks normal in a headset.

• RAGEPRO

Yeah, there’s a name for that — I forget what — but basically the render is pre-correcting for the headset’s optics’ distortion.

Raja at least seems to be relatable. I can’t say that for many keynote speakers I’ve watched in the last few years. Steve, Tim, and Phil are totally not relatable. Ballmer of course wasn’t, either. JHH? No way, but I’m not interested in leather and cars like he is.

• Star Brood

Meanwhile, I’m sitting on my HD7850 and 2x Xeon 5160’s and just drooling over the market competition that’s finally arrived.

Nice try AMD!

However, some glitzy press event isn’t going to distract us from the fact that RyZen is AWESOME!!

Your monopolistic tactics won’t work against us!

Oh wait…

• ronch

I’d much rather join AMD for some early morning Ryzen.

We know.

• ronch

After 10 years, I’m sure it’s to be expected.

• tipoo

I think we call that morning wood

• Redocbew

In this case, I think you’re right.