Oculus drops the price of its Rift headset and Touch controllers

Late last year, Oculus introduced its asynchronous spacewarp technology, allowing the company to relax its headset's famously-demanding hardware requirements. Now, its VR system is getting even more accessible, as Oculus has announced that it's significantly reducing the prices of its hardware. As of today, the price of the Rift-and-Touch bundle has been reduced from $800 to $600.

These price drops might also be interesting to folks who already own the basic Rift headset but haven't sprung for the Touch controllers, since their sticker price has been slashed in half to $100. Users looking to set up room-scale VR by grabbing a third sensor can do so a little more cheaply as well, as a standalone sensor now sells for $60 rather than $80. Additionally, the basic Oculus Rift set including the headset, an Xbox One controller, a sensor, and the necessary cables now sells for $500 instead of $600.

These price drops position the Oculus Rift more competitively against the HTC Vive and PlayStation VR. A room-scale VR setup with Oculus and its Touch controllers will now cost about $680, while the Vive costs $800. A PlayStation 4 with Sony's PSVR bundle (headset plus two PlayStation Move controllers) costs roughly $750. However, buyers of the Rift and Vive will still need to factor in the cost of a reasonably powerful gaming PC, as well.

• GrimDanfango

Hah, just noticed that in the UK, they’ve knocked £90 off the Touch controllers, but they haven’t changed the prices of the HMD at all. I guess that does now bring it in line with the current tech-industry standard exchange-rate of £1==$1…

Our economy is so screwed.

• GrimDanfango

Marvelous! I bought my setup a month ago, on the exact day they dropped a patch that screwed up the tracking, and rendered the entire thing useless until they *finally*, without any real word of apology, dribbled out a fix yesterday… and now this!

If I was a typical internet crybaby, I’d be howling “SLAP IN THE FACE!!” right about now.

I’m not though, so sod it… I’ll just kick myself for not supporting the more open platform and just going for a Vive in the first place 😛

(Edit: It’s still great though. Looking forward to VR Gen 2, I’ll probably hit up a Valve-Lighthouse-based system at that point)

• tacitust

Life as an early adopter…

🙂

• Laykun

If you activated your Touch controllers in the last 30 days you should have $50 of Oculus store credit. The 1.11 update only broke tracking in non-recommended camera setups, but I feel ya, I have non-recommended camera setup :P.

• GrimDanfango

Huh… so there is! Is that $50 in relation to this price reduction, or did I have it all along and didn’t notice?

The issue was still there for me using only two sensors… but admittedly not quite as pronounced. I’d figure that would be just as likely attributable to simply not moving around as much when using a two-sensor setup, so it was less likely to glitch and cause the height drift issue.

Thankfully it appears to be largely resolved now anyway. Can actually get on and enjoy the damned thing at last!

• TravelMug

It’s in relation to this reduction. People who bought the Touch and activated them it within the last 30 days got the $50 credit.

• DPete27

Going out of business sale!!!

• ChicagoDave

Nice! Wonder how long til HTC drops to their pricing to match.

Has Oculus or HTC/Steam said anything on the record about their plans for hardware version 2.0? Has either published any sort of mid-long term (3-5+ year) timeline for VR?

• tipoo

This only brings it in line with HTC Vive pricing though right?

• GrimDanfango

Errm-nope… they were around price-parity before… this is a substantial undercut.

A good deal overall I’d say, but I would forewarn people – while it does handle a solid “roomscale” experience now, you need to check your system has compatible USB-3, and LOTS of USB bandwidth to handle three+ sensors without issues… usually necessitating buying an extra USB-3 add-in controller. Vive remains a far more straightforward roomscale setup, is still more accurate, and handles a larger playspace.

• DPete27

My comment was a cheeky reference to the ZeniMax lawsuit against Oculus.

• GrimDanfango

Maybe they hacked out a licensing deal with Zenimax based on a percentage of total profits, and are now slashing their margins just to spite them 😛

• Laykun

The current Oculus headset is supposed to remain as the state of the art for ~2 years, so it would still be another year at least till we see a Rift 2.0.

• cygnus1

Nah, not all fire sales lead to going out of business…

[url<]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HP_TouchPad[/url<]