EVGA shows off its iCX-fitted GeForce GTX 1080 Ti cards

For a hot minute, all the attention was on AMD and its Ryzen CPUs. Lately though, all eyes are on Nvidia's biggest-and-baddest GeForce GTX 1080 Ti graphics cards. To wit, EVGA has announced its quartet of cards bearing the GP102 GPU.

For the time being, EVGA will offer one Founders Edition card running at reference clock speeds with the reference-style cooler, along with three cards topped with custom thermal solutions. All cards come with an identical loadout of 11GB of 11 GT/s GDDR5X memory regardless of cooler style or core clocks. All the cards shuffle power taken in through one six-pin and one eight-pin PCIe power connector through a 7+1 phase power section. The FE card has three DisplayPort connectors and one HDMI port, while all three custom cards add a dual-link DVI-D connector to the reference port layout.

The EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Founders Edition looks like every other vendors' FE card, and runs at Nvidia's prescribed 1480 MHz base and 1582 MHz boost core clocks. We wished for a little less noise and a little more power delivery headroom when overclocking our sample FE card, but buyers looking to install a GTX 1080 Ti in a small case would do well in choosing a card with a blower-style cooler.

The next step up EVGA's product ladder is the GeForce GTX 1080 Ti SC Black Edition Gaming. The SC trades away the reference cooler from the Founders Card in favor of EVGA's latest iteration of its dual-fan cooler. The SC doesn't have the elaborate network of temperature sensors from the iCX-fitted cards. Thermal monitoring is handled by the on-die probe alone. Clock speeds for this card and EVGA's other custom GTX 1080 Ti offerings have yet to be revealed.

Buyers seeking the thermal panopticon capabilities of EVGA's iCX monitoring can look to the GeForce GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Gaming. The card has the same cooler as its SC little brother, but adds in nine thermal sensors, asynchronous fans, and a system of three LEDs for indicating the temperatures of the GPU, memory, and power delivery sections of the card.

Although EVGA is keeping quiet about clock speeds, we'll assume that the GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 is the fastest of the bunch. For this model, the regular iCX cooler is cast aside in favor of a novel three-fan unit. The standard LEDs for the status of the core, memory, and power delivery sections are replaced by RGB units on the FT3.

The EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Founders Edition is listed for $700 from Amazon, but is currently out of stock. The prices and release dates for the three custom cards haven't yet been announced. Buyers pick their card based on based on cooler style, final core clock speeds, and pricing, since they all share the same 10.5" x 4.4" x 1.5" (26.7 cm x 11.2 cm x 3.7 cm) dimensions.

• tay

It is insane that the current price is $820 and people are still buying them in large enough quantities that it’s going OOS regularly.

The black EVGA card looks hot. Would buy if I could justify it.

• Redocbew

Releasing the Titan’s first and the Ti’s afterwards is a clever thing to do. I have a feeling Ti’s wouldn’t be as popular as they are if everything was released all at once.

• Kretschmer

Hoping that EVGA puts one of these on their upgrade program soon for my trade-in! My 1070 is already impressive; adding 50% to 70% will finally make smooth 3440×1440 possible!

• ltcommander.data

Any word on when new GTX 1080 (non-Ti) cards with 11Gbps GDDR5X will hit the market?

• gbakeriv

I might be missing something, but the whole point of the Ti is the boost in VRAM over the 1080; there won’t be any 1080s with 11GB of VRAM. Not sure what amount the next gen Volta architecture cards will house memory wise, but the 1080s will very likely stay at 8GB, the 1080Ti at 11, and the Titan at 12.

• VinnyC

11Gbps ram, not 11GB of ram. Nvidia is allowing 3rd parties to use the faster memory on existing 1080’s.

• techguy

ltcommander.data was referencing the speed of the video RAM, not its capacity. 11Gbps is a speed rating, not a size. The number just so happens to correspond to the size of the video RAM on 1080 Ti @ 11GB.

What he is referring to is the imminent release of regular GTX 1080s with faster video RAM, which was mentioned @ the 1080 Ti launch event. I’m sorry to say I do not have an answer to that, but I would imagine it will happen before Vega launches as that is the most likely competition.

• homerdog

[quote<]I might be missing something[/quote<] Indeed.

• Bomber

I’ll be picking up the FTW3 later this year to replace my 980Ti. Crazy performance improvement.

• cmrcmk

I wish I had your PC budget! I bought a GTX 980 last year and expect to keep it until 2020 or so.

• Bomber

Oh I’m saving my pennies. That essentially IS my PC budget for this year. 😉

• Master Kenobi

I’m waiting to see pricing and a sound review on the FTW3. I do not want a jet engine in my case, nor do I want to pay an extra hundred bucks for it either.

• Bomber

I can’t imagine it will be too loud, but that is a very good point. I’m not buying for a while yet so plenty of time to figure that out.