Adata lets loose its AMD-validated XPG Z1 and XPG Flame memory

Not to be outdone by G.Skill, Adata has its own memory kits ready for Ryzen. The Adata XPG Z1 and XPG Flame DDR4 memory modules have been validated by AMD itself as compatible with Ryzen processors. The XPG Flame kits have been validated at 2400 MT/s, 2666 MT/s, and 2933 MT/s speed grades. Meanwhile, the XPG Z1 kits get a big fancy heatsink and an additional 3200 MT/s option.

Adata says the memory was validated on MSI motherboards, explaining the presence of the the MSI logos in the image above. The company's press release doesn't say what capacities or voltages were used for the validation, though. Officially, AMD only supports DDR4 memory at transfer rates up to 2666 MT/s for Ryzen, and that's with a single pair of single-rank DIMMs. Unofficially, it seems like the situation is more a matter of working out what your specific processor-and-motherboard combo will support.

If you want to be absolutely certain that your RAM will work in your new Ryzen build, you can grab a 16GB kit with two Adata 8GB XPG Z1 modules at 2400 MT/s for an affordable $115 at Newegg.

Oh, awesome. This RAM will go perfectly with [url=https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/36/0b/6c/360b6c50a29b3e4fd35c6e9458f09d31.jpg<]my new car[/url<].

• Redocbew

They succeeded in making me want the module with the silly heatsink. Well played.

• 5UPERCH1CK3N

I’m not sure I’d hold my breath on that at this point, but maybe MSI is different. I’m running Ryzen 1700X on an Asus ROG Crosshair VI Hero (what a mouthful) with the G.Skill F4-3200C14D-16GVR (which is on the QVL.) Result? Somewhat unstable at a 2133 clock and won’t post at anything higher. Same result with another DDR4 kit rated for 2666. This is on the latest BIOS, and I don’t think any AMD specific memory is going to make a difference until the motherboard makers sort out their firmware.

• chuckula

You might find this interesting:
      [url<]http://www.legitreviews.com/one-motherboard-maker-explains-why-amd-am4-boards-are-missing_192470[/url<]

• 5UPERCH1CK3N

Interesting, and it certainly makes sense as I haven’t seen this level of firmware problems since the 90’s.

• Goty

Sounds more like a board-specific problem to me. The few guys left over at XS have had success with the same kit, I think, but many have been having issues with individual samples of the C6H.

• 5UPERCH1CK3N

Could be. I’ll contact ASUS tonight and see. I just assumed it was firmware since changing items such as voltage or memory timings doesn’t always do something. It seems to be better on the latest bios and at least now it doesn’t disable the fans when I enter setup. So that’s progress.

• freebird

I’m currently running 2 of my 4 G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) Model F4-3000C14D-32GTZ @ 2666 / 14-14-14-34 without issues on a Fata1ty X370 Gaming Pro motherboard with an R1700, haven’t tried it any higher on the latest BIOS. I am also running the CPU at 4.0 Ghz pretty stable, I think my video card is currently the culprit… which is a R290 running 17.2.1 sometimes while gaming it blanks out and monitor display port connection drops, but can still here game sounds and I have to reboot. As with most of the new X370 mobos; I had to upgrade the BIOS (running Asrock 1.54 beta) to get higher memory speeds and any stable OCing.

I think this year’s Ryzen will probably be limited to 4.0-4.2 Ghz on good cooling and I don’t think the silicon can be pushed much higher. A new spin might help, but i don’t see that happening with Zen 2 supposedly coming in 2018.

• 5UPERCH1CK3N

After multiple tries last night I finally got the board to apply the memory voltage I requested and then I was able to adjust the memory clocks. It appears to be stable as well, I’m running some tests now, but no seg faults, so that’s already an improvement.

• ronch

I think I read somewhere in a comments section over at Ars that Ryzen is kinda like beta these days. I personally agree.

• chuckula

FLAME ON!

• Pville_Piper

Flames are ol’ skool… Where’s the RGBs?

Sorry, couldn’t resist! ;D