MSI Z270 MPower Gaming Titanium doubles down on metal

MSI hasn't left prospective Z270 gamers starving for options. After launching an opening salvo of models equipped with the latest chipsets from Intel, MSI has now released another motherboard for gamers looking to overclock a high-performance Core processor: the Z270 MPower Gaming Titanium.

The board's Titanium branding doesn't just refer to the the silver metallic PCB, heatsinks, and covers. A board-wide backplate and three steel-reinforced PCIe x16 slots all help to ensure that heavy CPU coolers and graphics cards don't bend the PCB. The four memory slots have similar physical protection and come with fully-isolated memory circuits, earning the MPower Titanium a rating for memory up to DDR4-4000. MSI claims that it's even tested stable speeds beyond that mark, too. There's also SLI and Crossfire support on tap for those with a need for extra pixel-pushing power.

The board has a total of three M.2 slots and a U.2 connector, all supporting NVMe SSDs and Intel's Optane Memory. One of them comes with a heat shield that latches down on top of an SSD and might help reduce thermal throttling. MSI also makes a play to appeal to audiophiles. There are dual Realtek ALC1220 audio codecs, each with its own amplifier—one for the rear-panel ports and another one for the front panel connectors. MSI claims that its electrically-isolated audio PCB traces help improve sound quality.

Since setting up USB ports for a virtual-reality setup apparently takes some planning, MSI includes a USB 3.0 port on the back panel that it says has been optimized for VR. The company claims that a chip aboard the MPower Titanium ensures that this USB port has a clean and strong signal. The board offers plenty of USB ports all told: two USB 2.0 connectors, three USB 3.0 ports, one USB 3.1 Type-A connectors, and two USB 3.1 Type-C ports. Network connectivity comes by way of a Killer E2500 Gigabit Ethernet adapter.

Other niceties include an external clock generator for BLCK tuning, voltage measurement points, onboard diagnostic LEDs and buttons, of course, RGB LED lighting. MSI says the Z270 MPower Titanium should be available right away, but we haven't spotted one for sale at online retailers yet. However, B&H Photo Video will let interested buyers preorder one for $330.

• ronch

I wonder how all these electrically isolated, Nichicon-touting, LED-lit motherboard audio that are getting hyped up these days hold up against the Sound Blasters and Xonars. I remember MSI trying their hand at making a discreet sound card before that had a Realtek codec surrounded by a ton of capacitors and bundled them with their Big Bang motherboards. Hope the mobo makers try that again.

[url<]http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/wp-content/uploads/hs_XPower_061.jpg[/url<]

• ronch

Personally I don’t care much for bling. Either take the bling off and drop the price or use higher quality components.

• not@home

So is the back plate made of Titanium? Is that why this board costs $330?

• thedosbox

I returned an MSI board that had a similarly stupid shroud over the I/O ports as it was a nuisance when installing the board into the case. The oversized heatsinks were also a pain when it came to installing the CPU cooler onto the board.

The sooner the trend for garish and useless decorations dies the better.

• Waco

Agreed. I wish we could buy [i<]basic[/i<] boards with all the features, minus all the garish bullshit. Give me functional heatsinks. Give me a simple monochrome color scheme. Give me NO GODDAMN LEDS. It's never going to happen, because marketing trumps common sense...because people buy based on appearance rather than function. The modern equivalent of a Gigabyte Z68XP-UD4 doesn't exist.

• thedosbox

FWIW, AsRock’s Pro series fit the bill for me. No stupidly large heatsinks or garish LED’s, and the features I wanted. I eventually picked up a Z270M Pro4.

• Firestarter

That’s nice, but I’ve never worried about my motherboard bending. My graphics card however is probably one slight bump away from snapping in 2

Graphics cards getting backplates to keep them straight forced manufacturers to reinforce the slots. Now the slots are heavier and the boards flex. So MSI made a board with a backplate. Next is the cases. Your case well collapse on itself with a reinforced graphics card and motherboard.

[spoiler<]edit: /s[/spoiler<]

When I finally get one of these fancy reinforced cases with a backplate, what’s to stop my floor from collapsing under it?

Well you’ll have to reinforce your floor, causing the Earth to collapse on itself

I see where this is going.

Let’s just cut to the end and fit a backplate to the space-time continuum.

• Kretschmer

I’m impressed that MSI has invented time travel yet constrained their use of it to getting Z720 chips half a decade early. 😉

That’s certainly a nice board, but $330 is really tough to justify for a mobo. I just picked up a $170 ITX board that crams in ALL THE THINGS and that felt ostentatious.

Edit: $160->$170

Yep. What does the motherboard even do to justify its price these days?

All the complex stuff has been moved to the CPU package so it’s basically a collection of plastic slots and traces to the CPU socket and PCH chip.

Given how complex motherboards used to be, the difference between an standard board and a high-end board is very little these days. You can get that PCH chip and a similar slot/port configuration on a $120 board, so what does the additional $210 really get you other than blingy firmware and blingy paint on the blingy heatsinks and blingy silver trim?

NOTHING OF VALUE (to me).

• tay

The power phases and the extra connectivity is nice. That said I’m in the same boat. Over 150 is ridiculous for a board unless it’s a specialty chipset.

• Kretschmer

I was comfortable paying $170 for a Z270 ITX mobo with all the bells and whistles (WiFi, Thunderbolt 3, etc.), because ITX’s lack of expansion slots means you have exactly one shot to anticipate and purchase all future features). But even that was half the price of this MSI board.

I picture this board in a full tower case with a 1200W power supply, i5, and GTX 1060.

• NoOne ButMe

that’s a non-K series i5 and 3GB 1060, right?

Oh, and the PSU is Titanium rated, correct?