Toshiba Exceria Pro M402 SD cards are ready for apps

If you've ever tried to launch apps from an SD card, you already know that "Class 10" or "UHS-1" ratings tell you little about how that'll actually work out. To help avoid this conundrum, the SD Association created the new Application Performance Class A1 standard, meant to let consumers know how the card will behave when running Spotify off it. Just four months after the standard was finalized, Toshiba let the world know that its Exceria Pro M402 line of SD and MicroSD cards already meet the requirements for the A1 standard.

Those requirements are pretty light, but for an SD card they're actually relatively strict. The device must be able to sustain 1500 IOPS in 4K random read operations, 500 IOPS in random writes, and 10MB/sec in sequential operations. Toshiba says all of its qualified SD cards will be labeled as A1 going forward, alongside the existing U3 (UHS-III) speed class labeling.

Toshiba already uses the Exceria and Exceria Pro name for many types of flash media, so if you're looking for these cards, be sure to find the "M402" designation or the "A1" logo. The A1-branded cards will come in 16GB, 32GB, 64GB, and 128GB capacities, and they'll carry a five-year warranty. Toshiba says they'll be available in the second quarter of 2017.

• ronch

Thought I was all set when I bought that Class 10 card. Boy was I suckered.

Then I got that U3 card, thinking that was it. Boy was I bamboozled!

This is it, guys. A1. This is it.

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

Fool me 3 times, we’re… even. ^_^

(Where the heck is Auxy when you need her!)

• albundy

whatever happened to samsungs UFS cards? they were supposed to kill off microSD back in July!

• willmore

I have never seen a card in the wild, but the protocol is used for on board flash memory in tablets and phones.

• hungarianhc

Should be a good one for my Switch 🙂

• tipoo

So the speeds are ready for apps – is there any form of GC or TRIM on SD though? I’ve often found they slow down over time and benefit from reformats.

• willmore

Sorry for getting to this so late. Yes, SD cards can support a form or TRIM. It’s not TRIM as that’s an ATA thing, but there is a way to say “I no longer need this block you may do what you wish with it”.

• toastie

So, what the SD Association is telling us is that the earlier standards were largely meaningless. But this one will be better!

• nico1982

Earlier standard are meaningful for camcorders, as they rate sequential performance. Ax is a new standard specific for app perforformance (smartphones, tablets, Raspberry PIs, Switches, etc), where random IO is more important.

• Voldenuit

Spotify – the app that churns your NAND with junk data while streaming? Yay.