EVGA readies a Hybrid Waterblock for Nvidia GP102 cards

Nvidia's GeForce GTX 1080 Ti is the fastest graphics card we've tested. For some, its performance is just a jumping-off point. Getting those last few FPS used to require sourcing water blocks, pumps, radiators and tubing, then plumbing together a custom open-loop cooling system. EVGA's Titan X/1080 Ti Hybrid Waterblock cooler is a self-contained CLC that makes it easy to bypass an air cooler's thermal limitations. The Titan X Hybrid kit also contains a blower-style air cooler for cooling a card's memory chips and power delivery circuitry. Cooling these components has become increasingly important in recent graphics cards, much to EVGA's chagrin.

EVGA says the Titan X Hybrid fits reference Nvidia GeForce GTX Titan X (Pascal) models, GTX 1080 Ti Founders Edition cards, and all current EVGA GTX 1070 and GTX 1080 cards fitted with blower coolers. Eleven different EVGA models are on the compatibility list, several of which are not blower cooler models:

The model listed "08G-P4-6172-KR" left us scratching our heads. We were unable to find a product page for that model. This could represent a typographical error in the compatibility list, or the model could be something offered only to OEMs. Based on the model number, we think it's some kind of GTX 1070 card.

The EVGA Titan X/1080 Ti Hybrid Waterblock cooler isn't shipping just yet, but EVGA has set a price at $120, which seems reasonable for both a closed-loop liquid cooler and an air cooler for the memory chips and power delivery circuitry. The installation manual is available here for those who need to see what it takes to install the cooler before parting with their cash.

• LVNeptune

EVGA just started #hybridgate

They just raise the price to $179.99

Crazy.

• DarkUltra

Gamers Nexus tested this hybrid Closed loop cooler and found it ran 30-40°C colder and the GPU boost clock became much more stable

However an OC resulted in much lower min FPS average (not the lowest FPS but the 0,1% lowest I think):

[url<]https://youtu.be/DdYEqTolk0Q[/url<] 8:53 So maybe OC'ing a 1080 Ti result in a more stuttery gaming experience then stock clocks?

• cynan

Can someone explain to me why it’s common to offer closed loop CPU coolers with double radiators (ie, 2x120mm) but all of the GPU coolers, including this one which is designed for a GPU with a TDP approaching double that of most CPUs, only include a single 120mm rad?

• DeadOfKnight

I don’t know, but it still seems to work a lot better than non hybrid cards for quiet fan speeds.

• npore

I can think of a couple reasons. One, it’s much easier to cool a GPU despite its much higher heat output. I see this in my custom loop (CPU, 2x GPU) – for a given water temp the GPUs temps are much lower than the CPU, despite the fact they they are contributing far more heat than the CPU. I’m assuming because the die is larger, so bigger surface area, better heat transfer – but that is a pretty uneducated guess… So you can get away with relatively high water temps if you are just cooling the GPU. Have those water temps on a CPU and you might be doing worse than some air coolers.

Also I guess the expectation is the rad for most people is going to be installed on the back of the case, where there would usually only be a single 120/140mm space.

• Fieryphoenix

My impression is that it is because overclocks for CPUs are more responsive to better temperatures than GPUs, ie, results improve more dramatically with temperature improvements than for GPUs.

Best example I can give is to illustrate the specific case of the 1080 FTW Hybrid. With air cooling, you see overclocked temps reach 75-85C. Put on the Hybrid kit and you drop to 50-55C. Competitors get 10C lower with their designs because the Hybrid waterblock cools the memory as well as the core and they don’t. Pascal clock upper limits are determined by the voltage cap, so the only performance difference between air and water is that with air you will throttle up and down as you near the thermal limit, while with water you never get close and stay at an even level.

Npore’s on to something, I think, as well. Surface area of the die is a big factor in anything related to cooling, and a 120mm product is terrifically more likely to be compatible with any purchaser’s system.

• cynan

In my experience, GPU overclocks can be almost as responsive to lower temperatures. I think it depends on how close you are actually pushing the card to transistor leakage, etc. With newer power-limited designs (ie, most of the Pascal cards) perhaps that extra bit of cooling largely falls flat. But, for example, when cooling those hot 32 nm Tahiti or Hawaii cards, lower temps could really help. And now that new cards (ie, 1080 Ti) are catching up heat-output wise to something like an HD 7970 or 290x, I wouldn’t be surprised of these also benefit from extra heat exchange capacity.

The surface area differential is an interesting point…

• ImSpartacus

Other CLC radiators, from multi-GPU setups or CPU coolers.

The kind of person that will pay $700 + $120 on graphics is the kind of person that wants the best and will probably also have a CLC for their CPU and probably a second GPU (with accompanying CLC).

So you’ve got three radiators to fit in your case. I don’t know too many cases that can handle three 240mm radiators.

• JustAnEngineer

With GPUs dissipating 300+ watts and CPUs under 90, it actually makes a lot more sense to water cool the GPU than the CPU.

• DragonDaddyBear

I totally agree. I don’t understand all of the custom liquid cooling setups that don’t bother with the GPU. That’s why I really like the new Corsair mini box with the liquid cooled CPU and GPU with a single fan. That’s a seriously slick setup that I wish they’d sell as a standalone unit without hardware.

For custom loops I totally agree. The frustrating thing about the lack of “references designs” these days, though, is that every company has their own board layout and therefore each company needs its own cooling solutions.

• Waco

I’ve been using the same block for nearly 5 years on various CPUs. Every GPU heatsink I’ve owned has started collecting dust within a year or two…and they all cost more than the CPU block.

I just got tired of buying new blocks every few years.