Gigabyte has two A320 boards for bread-and-butter Ryzen builds

We're pretty fond of AMD's Ryzen 7 processors, as you'll be aware if you've read our most recent System Guide. However, eight-core CPUs and the overclockers' motherboards to match are anything but entry-level. Ryzen 5 processors are launching soon, and there's little point in going for an economical $169 CPU and then sticking it on a $200 motherboard. For folks who want something simpler, Gigabyte just announced two boards based on AMD's A320 chipset. The GA-A320-DS3 and GA-A320M-HD2 are very similar aside from size: the DS3 is an ATX motherboard, while the HD2 comes in a micro-ATX form factor.

AMD describes the A320 chipset as "essential," versus the "mainstream" B350 and "enthusiast" X370. The A320 was actually one of the first AM4 chipsets to be released—it arrived in pre-built PCs using Bristol Ridge APUs. It loses overclocking and some high-speed I/O versus its more expensive cousins, but is otherwise unchanged. You get two DDR4 DIMM slots, four SATA 6Gbps ports, a single USB 3.1 port, and that's about it. These boards don't have M.2 or U.2 sockets, nor do they come with a bunch of fancy RGB LEDs. Realtek chips take care of LAN connectivity and audio output on both boards.

The difference in size between the two offerings means the A320M-HD2 loses a legacy PCI slot and one of the PCIe x16 slots to crunch down to micro-ATX size. Given the feature list, these boards aren't going to set hearts aflame, but they might leave your wallet intact, and they're fine for workhorse systems. We've asked Gigabyte about pricing for these models and will update this post if we hear back.

• elites2012

this will be just fine for my daughters upgrade. they dont need all the extra bells and whistles. all the gaming they do, its times for an upgrade.

• kuttan

For optimum features/price its best to get a B350 based board but those who are on a really tight budget A320 boards works fine and can build PC based on 8 core R7 1700 CPU for cheap.

• blastdoor

Exactly… if you just want a large number of high quality cores, then the barebones chipset is the way to go.

I look forward to seeing pricing on Naples. In particular, what’s the cheapest way to get to 16 cores — build two barebones systems with the 1700, or a single system with a 16 core Naples?

• blastdoor

I followed the HD2 link and it appears that maybe(?) it has integrated graphics, but I can’t figure out what the integrated GPU is.

If I ultimately do a Ryzen build, I’ll probably want a pretty bare bones micro-ATX motherboard, but I don’t want it to be so bare bones as not to have an integrated GPU.

So… anybody know if this does have an integrated GPU and, if so, what it is?

• NoOne ButMe

You will need to wait for Raven Ridge products if you want an iGPU.

Those will be limited to 4C/8T by design. If that matters to you.

• blastdoor

I’m not asking about an APU.

I’m asking about a GPU integrated with the chipset.

If you go here:

[url<]http://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-A320M-HD2-rev-10#sp[/url<] it says: "Integrated Graphics Processor: 1 x D-Sub port, supporting a maximum resolution of 1920x1200@60 Hz 1 x DVI-D port, supporting a maximum resolution of 1920x1200@60 Hz * The DVI-D port does not support D-Sub connection by adapter. 1 x HDMI port, supporting a maximum resolution of 4096x2160@24 Hz * Support for HDMI 1.4 version. Support for up to 3 displays at the same time Maximum shared memory of 2 GB" which makes it sound like there is a GPU integrated with the chipset. But it doesn't give details about what that GPU is. Hence my question --what exactly is this talking about?

• RAGEPRO

There is no GPU integrated with the chipset. Those connections are only there for use with APUs.

• blastdoor

Ah…. thanks!

• Hinton

[i<]Given the feature list, these boards aren't going to set hearts aflame, but they might leave your wallet intact, and they're fine for workhorse systems.[/i<] Actually, they'll be just as fine for gaming boxes as well. Or do you think RGB lights gives you higher FPS?

• LostCat

There is a heavy contingent of overclockers around heah. I don’t even OC and I find the A320 chipset bizarre.

• swaaye

refreshingly non-stupid-looking.

• Peldor

What’s with the neon yellow trace at the top of each board?

• LostCat

It’s likely an LED strip (you can turn the one on my AB350 off in the UEFI.)

• caconym

Yeah, it traces the audio signal path. It’s so dim on my Z170 Gigabyte board I barely notice it. Definitely doesn’t look like the Photoshop glow they draw in on the product shots 🙂

• titan

For the legacy PCI slots: [url<]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFqfglY45kY[/url<]

• albundy

will need one of those slots for my X-Fi Platinum Fatal1ty Champion card.

• DrDominodog51

I couldn’t tell whether or not you were being sarcastic given the name of that card until I googled it.

• ronch

I can’t help but feel AM4 boards are a bit too ‘just enough’, and these boards trim the feature list even further. Don’t get wrong, a lot of expansion slots, DIMM slots​, SATA ports, USB ports, etc. are often left unused and just collect dust and I myself would be fine with the HD2 board featured here, but Ryzen is a high profile launch and you gotta blow your horn loud. It targets power users, not grandma who only needs ‘good enough’ parts.

There are rumors that AMD is planning to enter the HEDT market with a dual die,16-core Ryzen that will go head to head with the Broadwell-E and other LGA 2011 parts. Maybe AMD is saving the big guns for that? Ryzen 9?

Yes, these boards will probably run around $70 and they’re “just enough”. The $100-110 B350 boards are quite a bit more than “just enough” and the $150+ X370 boards definitely have more than more than [b<]more than[/b<] "just enough" You are the second-most emotionally invested commenter on TR.

• ronch

And you’re one of the rudest guys around here.

Can’t a guy express his opinion around here anymore without getting derogatory remarks? Are my comments here offensive to anyone?

• RAGEPRO

What that he said was “rude”? Heh. You’re taking an innocuous statement of fact very personally. Relax, man. It’s all good.

• ronch

I was speaking in general terms.

• raddude9

Yes, your comment mocking Albinos was offensive to me.

I was observing your hypersensitivity to everything Ryzen. Frankly, it’s not a surprise that you reacted as you did.

• ronch

Hypersensitivity towards what? I say anything negative about Ryzen and everyone lights up their torches. Isn’t it true that the platform does still have rough edges though?

• NoOne ButMe

How low clocked cheap Ryzen parts seems to be, B350 seems WAY better option for budget gaming.

I think Ryzen 3 will clock under QC Ryzen 5.

Man, screw that noise. Stick that $170 CPU on a B350 motherboard for [url=https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813132966<]less than a hundred bucks[/url<] and OC the crap out of that mofo. I don't see much use to lower-end boards until you get to Ryzen 3 or cheapy APUs where $50 platforms make sense.

• JustAnEngineer

That particular B350 motherboard has a poor arrangement of PCIe slots. I suggest the [url=http://www.gigabyte.us/Motherboard/GA-AB350M-Gaming-3-rev-10#kf<]GA-AB350M-Gaming 3[/url<] for [url=http://pcpartpicker.com/product/6T7CmG/gigabyte-ga-ab350m-gaming-3-micro-atx-am4-motherboard-ga-ab350m-gaming-3<]$95[/url<], instead.

I disagree. The Asus board has its M.2 slot above the main PCIe x16 slot. True it’s between two heat-generating sources, but at least it’s not completely stifled by the graphics card.

edit: Although i have seen some boards manage to wedge an x1 slot right next to the M.2 in that configuration, so it’s not totally perfect. I think it’s better than the Gigabyte, though.

• ClickClick5

And I’m just waiting on a fresh set of BIOS updates. I have a GA-AB350M-D3H coming in the mail, and it is still on the F1 revision.

• chuckula

Bread?

Gluten-free motherboards or GTFO!

• dpaus

Bread > yeast > Ryzen

I can’t BELIEVE that you missed that….

• SlappedSilly

I can’t believe it’s not butter!

And that’s where they’ll fool ya. It really IS butter!

• albundy

only woosies cant take gluten!