Transcend steps into the NVMe arena with the MTE850 SSD

The memory guys over at Transcend dropped us a note about the company's new NVMe SSD. The drive is called the MTE850, and it's the company's first storage offering using the NVMe protocol. The device uses 3D MLC flash as its primary storage medium, and like most NVMe SSDs out there today, it comes in the M.2 2280 form factor.

The drive packs a DDR3 RAM cache, and it could further boost performance by provisioning some of its flash as a pseudo-SLC cache. The company says that sequential read performance should hit figures as high as 2500 MB/s, while sequential writes should go up to 1100 MB/s. There's no word on random I/O numbers, though.

The drive includes Transcend's SSD Scope software, a utility similar to Samsung's Magician or OCZ's simply-named SSD Utility. Transcend says the MTE850 comes in three capacities and price points: a 128GB drive for $119, a 256GB offering for $209, and a 512GB version selling for $379. All drives are covered by a three-year warranty. If you're in the market for a speedy NVMe SSD at a fair price, the MTE850 might be one to look for.

• Welch

Yeah, with the Samsung 960 EVO being $250 for a 500GB drive, I’d have to see something seriously amazing in this drive to warrant a $129 price premium, AKA more than 1/2 again as much as the original 960 EVO.

Was really hoping for these to be priced around the $200-230 mark to start to whittle away at Samsung’s prices a bit.

• freebird

I was thinking the same, since I just bought a 500GB Evo 960 for $249. It has the same 3 year warranty also… hopefully it has a longer Full Drive Write life… the Evos only have a 400 mark, which is pretty damn low…

• deruberhanyok

Those prices seem a bit high. I picked up a 1TB Samsung PM961 just recently for $375. There’s Samsung and Toshiba 1TB NVMe drives sitting around $400 on ebay right now.

I realize ebay isn’t always representative of retail prices, but seriously, if you’re going to spend $400 on an NVMe SSD, check ebay first.

• astrotech66

The prices do seem a bit high. I just got a 512GB AData M.2 drive on sale for $199 (normally $249). This Transcend drive may be a little better, but I’m not sure it justifies a $130-$180 price premium.

• Neutronbeam

Thanks Zak! I ordered a Samsung 950 series OEM drive a while back from AMZN and did not know about the Magician software. I’m going to check it out later today.

You’re just Killianing it on the site–keep up the great work!

• RAGEPRO

Hey, thanks. I appreciate it. (Really!)

• Ninjitsu