Razer Blade Pro swims in the deep end of Kaby Lake

Just six months after introducing the pretty awesome Blade Pro 17.3" gaming laptop, Razer is updating it with an Intel seventh-generation Core i7-7820HK unlocked CPU. The rest of the high-end hardware in the machine is pretty much the same, topped off with an RGB-LED-illuminated keyboard stuffed with Razer's proprietary low-profile mechanical switches.

The processor upgrade is the biggest change, with the Intel Skylake Core i7-6700HQ giving way to the aforementioned Core i7-7820HK. Razer says the CPU can be easily overclocked to 4.3 GHz using the company's Synapse utility. The company stopped short of saying the 4.3 GHz figure was guaranteed, or whether the overclock settings would be available if Razer's servers went down again. In any case, the new processor sports four cores with SMT, a base clock of 2.9 GHz, and a boost clock of 3.9 GHz. The CPU crunches data pulled from the machine's 32 GB of 2667 MT/s DDR4 memory.

The Blade Pro's screen is the same IGZO-supplied 3820×2160 4K unit as before. The panel's refresh rate tops out at 60Hz, but G-Sync variable refresh rate technology helps make the most of each of those precious cycles. An Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 graphics card pushes pretty pixels to that high-spec screen. Good sound goes hand-in-hand with impressive visuals, and Razer says the Blade Pro has that covered as well. The company says the refreshed notebook is the first THX-certified gaming laptop.

Storage comes in the form of three different PCIe RAID configurations, ranging in total capacity from 512GB to 2TB. The Blade Pro is a laptop in the year 2017, so it has no optical drive. Bits and bytes have to have some way into the storage system, though. In this case, most of that data will flow through the three USB 3.0 jacks and single Thunderbolt 3 USB Type-C port. Or perhaps through the Killer Gigabit Ethernet, 802.11ac Wi-Fi, and Bluetooth 4.1 network adapters. The heavy-hitting hardware is fed by a 99 Wh battery and an included "slim, sleek" 250 W wall charger, which we assume buyers will want to carry with them at all times.

The aluminum chassis is the same one as before, measuring 16.7" x 11" x 0.88" (42 cm x 28 cm x 2.4 cm). The Razer Blade Pro weighs in at 7.69 lbs. (3.5 kg). That hefty weight could be offset somewhat by the machine's ability to remove at least $4000 from buyers' wallets when it ships in April. On a related note, gamers will be able to earn Razer's zSilver currency by running Razer software on the Blade Pro. The points can be used to purchase Razer accessories, including this amazing RGB LED-illuminated mug warmer.

• leor

I have 2 Razer laptops and they are pretty damn good, the quality of the components really stand out. The same thing is true of alienware, but they make much bulkier machines, and often make weird hardware choices that bring down the overall performance of the machine.

Have also owned a couple of clevo type machines, and I have to say that the build quality is all over the place. Screens with light leaks, flex in the chassis, not gonna mess with those ever again.

• southrncomfortjm

I still don’t get the 4K laptop screens. But then again, I’m a guy still perfectly happy with 1080p, though I do like 1440p.

• Kretschmer

As someone who uses 3440×1440 on the desktop, 4K gaming laptops are an idiot trap.

• juzz86

I have an older ASUS laptop that’s in a 17.3 inch chassis. It has a 1080p 120Hz panel. It’s pretty much perfect after a good calibration to fix the hopeless colours – good text size, nice and sharp, runs games beautifully.

• nico1982

I have a 2880×1800 panel, and the difference is noticeable for the better versus a 1080p panel and for the worse versus a 4K one. Nothing that will make your eyes burn in either case, but if I had to pick a resolution – everything else being the same – it would be 4K, no doubt.

• flip-mode

I super duper hate offset keyboards. I think I must be one of the few that care though.

• slowriot

I’m 100% with you.

• Growler

If it had a 10-key, it would be understandable. Two of my last three laptops have had a 10-key, and I missed it on the one that didn’t.

• Mr Bill

super duper agree

• Neutronbeam

It’s THX-certified only for the headphone port.

Hate the stratospheric price, but nothing out there that I’ve looked at in the last six months (Clevo/Sager, Origin, MSI, ASUS, Aorus, Gigabyte, Acer and others) with comparable specs has the mechanical keyboard, metal body, RAM speed, weight or is as relatively slender.

Everything I’ve seen is 1 – 3 pounds heavier, has a thicker plastic body, membrane keyboard and has RAM at 2400 MT/s. You at least gotta give Razer credit for its industrial design and engineering.

• Pwnstar

MSI makes a Steelseries keyboard laptop that isn’t membrane. You can get one similar to this for $2,500.

Acer also makes a massive one for $8,000. Predator 21x.

• tipoo

They’re going for winning on design like Apple does, and I would agree they have won on design among gaming laptops. That makes them comfortable with charging a bit more for equivalent hardware I guess, but I’d rather have that than some of the gaudy ones out there.

• BoilerGamer

Unforunately for thin and lights that can pass for both a professional and a gaming laptop there is only XPS 15 and that only come with a 1050.

• tipoo

The not-Pro razor blade (ironically) looks fine in a business meeting, green accents aside

[url<]https://razer-assets.s3.amazonaws.com/eeimages/products/24223/razer-blade-layout.png[/url<]

• EndlessWaves

[quote<]The points can be used to purchase Razer accessories, including this amazing RGB LED-illuminated mug warmer.[/quote<] I had to double check to date and make sure it wasn't Saturday.

• brucek2

I was laughing out loud at this ridiculous accessory until I got to:

… “and keeps you hydrated by blinking according to an optimal drinking schedule.”

If my girlfriend ever hears about this, she’s going to make me buy it. Which could be very inconvenient given the required currency.

• JosiahBradley

You may jest at the 4k price tag, but trick out a mac book pro without ports and you get a lot less.