Asus GTX 1080 and 1060 cards with faster RAM go the extra mile

While Nvidia announced the GeForce GTX 1080 Ti at GDC, it said that it would allow companies like MSI and Gigabyte to build variations of the GeForce GTX 1060 and GTX 1080 with faster memory than the reference designs. Now we have eyes on the first tweaked cards, both made by Asus. The GTX1080-O8G-11GBPS and GTX1060-O6G-9GBPS are named exactly as they are: a GeForce GTX 1080 with 11 GT/s GDDR5X memory, and a GTX 1060 6GB card with GDDR5 memory clocked at 9 GT/s.

Asus GTX1080-O8G-11GBPS

The GTX 1080 with 11 GT/sec memory is a ROG Strix model, and it appears to have the same output cluster, power requirements, and RGB LED-equipped heatsink as the standard ROG Strix GeForce GTX 1080. Meanwhile, the new GTX 1060 doesn't carry a Strix name tag, but wears a beefy cooler that resembles older cards bearing that denomination. Aside from the throwback cooler and faster memory, this offering appears to be similar to other GeForce GTX 1060 cards in Asus' stable.

Asus GTX1060-O6G-9GBPS

It's possible these cards will also be clocked higher on the GPU core side, but Asus isn't talking clock speeds for these models yet. Besides, given how Pascal chips push their own clocks as much as they can, the rated rates are more like suggestions. The new cards aren't available yet, but Videocardz seems to think they'll be out in the coming weeks of April.

• unclesharkey

Hmmm now you get more FPS per kilowatt hour.

• southrncomfortjm

Are these cards already memory bandwidth limited? I’m all for faster memory, but without a faster chip itself, will it matter much?

• synthtel2

Some stages of a graphics pipeline will almost always be bandwidth-limited, so there are gains, they just aren’t 12.5%.

• I.S.T.

How muchy would the faster RAM speed up a GTX 1060?

• DeadOfKnight

None, since you can overclock them yourself to the same level for free.

• synthtel2

The new ones can probably be overclocked more, though. Don’t these only exist because faster RAM chips are showing up?

• DeadOfKnight

Mine can overclock by 1500 MHz. These are being rated for an extra 1000 MHz. My guess is that all they are is overclocked out of the box.

• synthtel2

And mine can OC from 7000 -> 8200. Most cards seem to have a fair bit of headroom in them, but nobody likes pushing VRAM speed limits with factory overclocking. I’d be curious as to why, but in the meantime, I doubt this is the time they’ve decided to start.

• Den2

From what I’ve heard: Originally, the GDDRX5 was touted as being able to get these speeds at stock but initial batches didn’t quite meet the specs expected. nV was expecting faster RAM at launch (and probably made design decisions based on this assumption) and that didn’t happen. But the new RAM chips have been made since. I’d expect these to be the improved RAM chips and will likely still have the same OC headroom. But only time will tell.

• I.S.T.

I believe it’s obvious that I meant over the stock clocks.

• DeadOfKnight

Well I cannot give a straighter answer since it could be zero or it could be a small bump depending on if the memory bandwidth is a bottleneck, which doesn’t happen very often. If you’re at 1080p, hardly ever is that going to make a difference. If it made that much of a difference, Radeons with HBM would have brought a major leap in performance. Don’t get me wrong, memory bandwidth is important. It’s just that the GTX 1060 already has excellent bandwidth. Point is, I would’t pay more for it. Current cards can do the same thing for free just by moving a single slider in afterburner.

• synthtel2

It doesn’t work like that. See [url=https://techreport.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=117882&p=1306251#p1306251<]this[/url<] and [url=https://techreport.com/news/30142/nvidia-confirms-geforce-gtx-1070-specifications?post=979769#979769<]this[/url<] for my thoughts on it (and some actual testing). Almost any (I wouldn't feel bad about saying literally any) modern real-time graphics pipeline has certain stages that are very bandwidth-limited. Getting more bandwidth isn't going to speed up all stages, but it will make a difference in the end result. Bandwidth is expensive, and there wouldn't be so much fuss about it if it were useless. Fiji's shader:BW ratio is pretty much in line with the other pre-Polaris GCN parts. Tonga is the outlier in that lineup. Fiji has other problems, and no, it isn't the ROPs either.

• DeadOfKnight

Maybe so, but I doubt very much that getting a faster VRAM 1060 is going to be worth any added expense when overclocking will get the same or close to the same frequency if you overclock them both. Many sources claim that these are just factory overclocked cards.

• synthtel2

Link some of those sources, then.

• synthtel2

Previous discussion [url=https://techreport.com/news/31521/nvidia-green-lights-faster-ram-on-gtx-1060-and-gtx-1080-cards<]here[/url<] probably counts as one, but that makes it look more like they are actually different chips.

• synthtel2

I’d guess 3 to 8 percent, depending on lots of things.

• I.S.T.

Thanks.

• ozzuneoj

I really hope this changes up the $150-$300 markets a bit. Bring the price of the 1060s down, with the higher performance models taking over the price points of the current ones.

At this point the difference between a 1060 6GB for $200-$250 vs a 1070 which can be had for well under the MSRP (some times $310… or even less in some extreme cases) makes it hard to justify buying anything between $150 and ~$300. That is normally the sweet spot, but right now that price range offers only a marginal improvement over what was available 2 years ago in the same range unless you find an amazing deal on a 1070.

• Kretschmer

Where have you seen a GTX 1070 new for $310? Current lowest new is $370.

• RickyTick

Was about to say the same thing. I’ve been watching the GTX1070 for months and it’s never been anywhere close to $310.

• ozzuneoj

[url<]https://slickdeals.net/newsearch.php?firstonly=1&q=gtx+1070[/url<] There have been 1070s available under $350 several times in the past few months. Why do people down thumb me for posting things like this? I get TDs any time I refer to anything being available well below MSRP if you just have some patience and do some digging. Unless we're talking about reliable every day pricing, for the purpose of having a steady supply at a given price, in which case you obviously can't go by sale prices. But for an individual looking for a good deal, its not that hard to find heavily discounted components. There are several huge communities dedicated to this kind of thing online. Its not new and its not that hard.

• RickyTick

Well then…I take it back.

• ozzuneoj

Thanks. No hard feelings. 🙂

Anyway, I would love a 1070, but my 970 doesn’t get stressed that hard with my workload, so I don’t really need that much power. I’d like to upgrade my HTPC, and it’d be sweet to move my 970 to that and get something decently faster for my main system, but there really aren’t any options under $300 that are worth the money. If the 1060 6GB dropped down significantly, that’d be an option, but I can’t see spending that kind of money for such a small upgrade.

The dilemma is this…

If I spend $100 on a 1050 for the HTPC, it’d probably be sufficient for now, but at that point I’ve spent $100, and with only 2GB of memory it could run into limitations in certain games before long (my wife games on it, and I want it to be able to run anything we’d need it to run). For $120-$140 (depending on deals) I could get a 1050 Ti for a bit more speed and 4GB… but at that point we’re awefully close to the price of a 1060 3GB or refurbished\used 970 (either is a huge improvement over a 1050 ti), and I already have a 970 that I wouldn’t mind upgrading. The problem is that the upgrade options are super limited unless I go all the way up to a 1070.

Another issue is that my 970’s blower fan has an annoying tone to it and I’d love to get rid of that. I’m sure it would be even more annoying in the HTPC, so my options are kind of limited. If I could just sell it for a decent amount ($150-$200 locally seems realistic) without any hassle, I’d probably do it and upgrade, but I wish the options were better.

• southrncomfortjm

Yeah, Its been pretty crazy watching the 1070 deals. I would definitely have bought a 1070 for $310 over my RX 480 for $225, but I got my 480 back in December when such deals were not common or didn’t exist.

• G8torbyte

One of the price trackers I like to use is pcpartpicker.com where you can watch a particular model component and they graph the price trending. They link to sales and rebate deals from the major vendors but understandably it doesn’t catch all the sources and deals that change day-to-day.