Tell a Lie Day Shortbread

10. Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 6 review @ Guru3D
  11. MSI GTX 1080 Ti Gaming X 11 GB @ TechPowerUp
  12. Asus ROG Strix GeForce GTX 1080 Ti review @ Guru3D

Games and VR

1. Art in the age of ones and zeros: Minecraft Art @ New Atlas
  2. 'Rock Band VR' is the dorkiest game ever and I love it @ Engadget
  3. Megaquarium – a theme park management with FISH! @ Rock Paper Shotgun (um, yes please)
  4. Why F.E.A.R.'s AI is still the best in first-person shooters @ Rock Paper Shotgun (this just makes me miss NOLF)

Science, hacks, makers and New Atlas

1.  Adobe advances AI-driven photo retouching @ New Atlas
  2. Festo eyes pick and pack future with eerie tentacle gripper @ New Atlas
  3. Real-life Iron Man jet suit requires superhuman strength @ New Atlas
  4. Water landings won't worry this inflatable drone @ New Atlas (I made a doghouse like this once)

Tech news and culture

1. Yahoo+AOL = Oath? LOL OMG WTF @ Ars Technica
  2. Amazon launches Amazon Cash, a way to shop its site without a bank card @ TechCrunch
  3. Netflix now lets you download videos onto your PC @ Slashdot
  4. Musk trolls shorts as Tesla's value hits record, passes Ford @ Slashdot
  5. SpaceX launches, lands its "flight proven" rocket @ Ars Technica

Cheese, memes, and RGB LEDs

1. This is not a joke: Elon Musk once rocketed a wheel of cheese into space @ Business Insider
Colton Westrate

I post Shortbread, I host BBQs, I tell stories, and I strive to keep folks happy.

• Wirko

Stop that! It’s too tempting. I never tell a lie and I won’t do it today.

• Unknown-Error

AMD is the best!

• albundy

there’s a hundred new AM4 motherboards coming this week. Alternative fact!

• tipoo

This statement is a lie.

• Redocbew

No, it’s a cake.

• drfish

*head explodes*

• I.S.T.

*claps* Well done.

• UberGerbil

[url<]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZuYbDP2kDfg[/url<]

• chubbyhorse

[quote<]7. Building your own DIY surveillance system with Synology DiskStation @ HotHardware[/quote<] Link isn't working... Here yah go gerbils: [url<]http://hothardware.com/reviews/synology-diskstation-how-to-guide[/url<] (if it isn't currently plastered on their homepage)

• Anovoca

Happy National Cake day everyone!

• PrincipalSkinner

First.
    There’s a lie for you.

• DrDominodog51

How do I know you aren’t lying about today being tell-a-lie day?

• Neutronbeam

And IF that is in fact his real name. “Colton Westrate” just seems….well, fishy.

• RAGEPRO

This is a great post. I’m sad more people won’t get this.

• Neutronbeam

Thank you sir, and keep up the great work!

• willmore

How appropriate that Zoë Quinn’s book comes out today.

• I.S.T.

Please keep the GG crap off of here for the love of everything holy I come here to get away from that kind of crap

• Pwnstar

You seem butt hurt. Your side losing mind share?

• MOSFET

Never heard of Quinn until now, and no idea what “GC” means. Why does the Wikipedia entry for Quinn refer to the person as “they”?

• I.S.T.

Quinn is transgender, that’s why.

As for the rest: just… just don’t. Not here. Edit: if you want a full description PM me, I’ll take care of it.

• I.S.T.

It’s more that I WANT A POLITICS FREE PC SITE I HAVE TWITTER FOR POLITICS

FOR ****’S SAKES PEOPLE IS THIS SO HARD

I agree. I’m kind of overwhelmed by the world. I need an escape. The world is quickly closing off all of the possible escapes.

• I.S.T.

Like, seriously, I do politics stuff all the time on twitter and with friends. I reserve youtube, reddit, here and a few other places as spaces away from that.

Has nothing to do with my politics, has everything to do with [i<]there's a time and place for things and some places aren't for some things[/i<].

I got off of Facebook entirely and only talk to strangers about baseball and tech (or what I’m doing Right Now in some instances) on Twitter. It just comes at you from all sides and I can’t be woke 150% of the time. So I shut down. I don’t even know who’s right or wrong when it comes to GG or whatever else. There are just too many people crying about the end of the world for me to listen to them all.

• UberGerbil

Speaking of which, I was just considering buying [url=https://image.spreadshirtmedia.com/image-server/v1/products/1013494947/views/1,width=1200,height=1200,appearanceId=2,backgroundColor=fff,version=1485256808/ew-distractions-men-s-t-shirt-men-s-t-shirt.webp<]one of these[/url<] today.

I love the EW podcast even more now that Jeff Sullivan is on it. I also liked Sam Miller and of course still enjoy Ben Badler, but Jeff is a hysterical follow on Twitter and I love hearing him talk baseball. First podcast I truly enjoy every day.

• UberGerbil

The old Jeff and Mathew podcasts on LookoutLanding were among the few I made a point to subscribe to. They carried them over to USSMariner after they left LL, and then stopped. I’ve been missing me some Sullivan. Now that they have him doing them three times a week on FG, I finally feel like I’m getting enough.

• Neutronbeam

Re “Yahoo+AOL = Oath? LOL OMG WTF”–Verizon is calling it Oath because all the Yahoo! and AOL users said “Oh s**t!!” when they heard about the acquisition–and combination.

• UberGerbil

It’s called that because there are people who still think they need AOL to get on the interwebs. Those people are old. They’re so old that when they speak of their AOL charges they say they “oath” those charges. “I oath, oath, so off to work I goath” they say, as they hang up their corded phone and hitch up their horses and climb into their carriages for the commute to another day at the 8-track tape factory.

• Anovoca

[quote<] Why F.E.A.R.'s AI is still the best in first-person shooters @ Rock Paper Shotgun [/quote<] The AI was so good in that game, it ruined Half Life 2 (came out around the same time) for me. It was so hard to go from the best AI enemies a shooter has ever seen to preset spawn points, and canned attack/cover patterns.

• Redocbew

Agreed. Watching the bad guys scatter when lobbing grenades, and how they’d find open lines of fire in the environment was really what made the game stand out.

• Voldenuit

I played F.E.A.R. living by myself in the dark. It scared the bejeesus out of me.

EDIT: Thank goodness 3D displays weren’t a thing back then.

• Anovoca

F.E.A.R-VR remaster. *cringe*

• Godel

How about a version of F.E.A.R in full VR?

• slowriot

F.E.A.R came out nearly a year later than HL2. I kinda get your point but HL2 came out first and while it’s AI wasn’t amazing it was pretty good relative to other games. F.E.A.R was just leaps ahead of anything on its release.

• Concupiscence

F.E.A.R. put everything to shame, but most humiliatingly annihilated Quake 4 – which was released on the same day, and went on to sell around a million fewer copies than Monolith’s title.

• tipoo

As good as it was, I remember a funny moment where a guard came through the door, I killed him, another came through the door, killed him, and that continued until there was a nice mound of bodies at the door that the AI didn’t seem to notice until they were close enough to melee 😛

That game did give me a healthy fear of video game ladders though!

• Rza79

Monolith never got the praise it deserves with their games and LithTech engine.

• Generic

My heartfelt congratulations to PrincipalSkinner for showing some restraint today.

• PrincipalSkinner