Nvidia Titan Xp retakes its rightful place on the throne

Big things are happening in the world of gaming and graphics this morning, and Nvidia is adding fuel to the fire with the unveiling of its Titan Xp (yes, really) graphics card.

Not content to let the original Titan X Pascal languish after the launch of the GTX 1080 Ti, Nvidia has fully unleashed the GP102 GPU under the hood of that card and upgraded the Xp with 12GB of 11.4 GT/s GDDR5X memory. The fully-enabled GP102 chip has a specified boost clock of 1582 MHz, up 51 MHz from that of the original Titan X Pascal's range. That means the Titan Xp offers 3840 shader processors with 12 TFLOPS of theoretical throughput, and its 384-bit memory bus offers a theoretical 547.7 GB/s of bandwidth. The card slots into the same 250W thermal envelope as its predecessor.

The Titan Xp is available now for $1200 direct from Nvidia's website.

• sophisticles

I would love to know which game is worth spending $1200 to be able to play it slightly faster or at a slightly higher settings.

J/K, that was meant for all the gamers out there that will drool over this card, clearly this is meant for the professional and workstation market; if TR reviews this card I hope they concentrate on GPU heavy workstation tasks, such as 3D rendering, maybe some distributed computing like Folding or Einstein, some Euler, some other compute benchmarks, etc.

I hope we don’t see a bunch of lame gaming benchmarks.

• tipoo

Does this retain the P6000s DP rate? So an expensive Geforce, but discount Quadro, if so.

• RAGEPRO

Probably not.

• Krogoth

It is just more P6000 rejects (ate too much power) sold to extreme gamers who want the best no matter what.

It kinds stinks that FP64 is gimped on these cards. It is looking more and more like Kepler-based Titans were a happy accident for GPGPU-crowd.

• Gastec

Titan Xperience points and next will be Titan FPS (First Person Shooter). I’m amazed they didn’t came out with a GeForce CoD by now but I guess it’s never too late.

• mcarson09

April fool’s jokes should not be allowed after April 1st!

If I was a Titan X(Pascal) owner I’d want to be able to trade in my gpu for this.

• Laykun

Titan X? More like the Titan Why?

• DeadOfKnight

New naming convention:

GeForce P1200 v2
    w/ 12TF of power!

GeForce=gaming
    P=Pascal series
    1200=initial MSRP
    v2=upgraded card

And yes, let’s please take VRAM out of the marketing lingo and replace it with something more useful to the average consumer for making comparisons.

Well this is embarassing.

Everyone has called the Titan X (Pascal) the Titan XP since launch.

Now Nvidia are releasing the Titan Xp?

Their naming gurus need to be put back in the zoo, I think.

• JustAnEngineer

NVidia’s evil marketing geniuses are still geniuses at intentionally confusing the public.

• ImSpartacus

Wise souls like myself (naturally) have long referred to it as the “2016 Titan” or “2016 Titan X”. Check the tape. I’ll wait.

We get exactly one Titan per year, every year.

Nvidia is obviously trying to emulate the “car model year” image that is so coveted in marketing (“You’re telling me I have last year’s gpu? Ugh, I need to upgrade.”). I can only think of Apple that has reached that status with its macbooks and a couple other products.

And yet, Nvidia didn’t have the balls to name the damn thing “Titan X” to maintain consistency (let alone simply, “Titan”).

• USAFTW

Not saying that I’d personally ever invest in such a thing for gaming, but it’s nice to finally see a fully enabled GP102. This could have been priced at 700$ like the 780 Ti of its time if only AMD decides to/is able to get a 290x for its time (minus the heat) out the door.
    That said, specifications look really impressive.

• vargis14

Titan 1200 S as in $ should be its name 🙂

• Reinyn

I just took delivery of a 1080ti yesterday. This news doesn’t bother me at all. I am not in the market for a Titan and the %10 performance increase isn’t worth $500.

I traded up from a 1070 to a 1080ti to better enjoy Mass Effect on a 4K HDR display. I could have waited for Vega news, but now I can sell the 1070 for a fair bit to finance the 1080ti. Waiting for Vega is too much of a gamble, will it perform as well as a 1080ti? Will it tank the resale value of my 1070? No worries and now I can enjoy Mass Effect.

• beck2448

Despite the moaning from certain quarters, this will undoubtedly sell out,
    That’s the name of the game.

Of course all fifty of them will sell out.

• not@home

I am not an AMD fanboi, but it seems to me that this might be in response to Vega. Is Nvidia scared? Or are they just trying to milk peoples wallet? “Buy the new 1080 Ti, its the fastest card evars.” A month or so later: “Buy the new Titan Xp, its the fastest card Evars.” Now everyone who bought a 1080 Ti is selling them on ebay to get a Xp.

• hungarianhc

Neither. They just always release a Titan X to have a top line card.

• Kretschmer

VEGA is too late to steal high-end marketshare from Nvidia. Unless you’re married to AMD as a vendor or want to utilize an existing FreeSync monitor, you’ve already bought Pascal. And very few people will sell a 1080Ti for a slight upgrade, so that’s a silly characterization.

There is a fringe of buyers who are willing to pay top dollar for the absolute best card available (diminishing returns be damned). And you’re leaving money on the table if you don’t have SOMETHING for them to buy.

There will be precious few buyers left for VEGA by Q2, as Nvidia has aggressively pursued every tier of buyer and performance for a full year.

• RAGEPRO

I think you’re a little mistaken about that, only in that you’ve left out the portion of graphics card buyers like me who are looking for an upgrade but waiting on Vega simply to see if it makes the market shake up a bit. It’s entirely likely that despite owning not one but two Freesync monitors I’ll end up with GeForce hardware when the time comes, but the prices on 1080 Ti cards are a little too rich for my blood.

If Vega offers a similar level of performance for a hundred bucks less, or if it causes the 1080 Ti cards to drop in price, then I’m there. My 290X will hold me over ’til then.

• Kretschmer

Sure there are people who will be upgrading around the VEGA release timeframe, but Nvidia has had a year to corner most of that market. So AMD will have customers if VEGA is good, but they’re fighting for a piece of a much smaller pie than the one available in May 2015.

• Beahmont

Yeah, but how many people in your boat do you really think there are out there? It really just doesn’t seem reasonable to believe there are that many people who are waiting on Vega before they will finally get off the fence. I just don’t believe there are enough of you to even be a rounding error in some report.

That being said this is video cards so what does reason have to do with anything.

• mcarson09

Vega will need an extra 12 months to get the drivers up to speed, so I’d say he’s dead on.

• JustAnEngineer

OMIGOSH! With both of us accounted for, according the Kretschmer, there only four other people left on the entire planet that are still using a gaming graphics card more than twelve months old. Who would’ve thought that TR users accounted for one third of that demographic on the entire planet?

• mcarson09

Each new architecture change it typically takes 12 months for AMD/ATI to get drivers working for a given card because AMD/ATI spends more money on incompetent Execs than it does on Engineers, driver coders, and R&D combined. I’m honestly tired of purchasing a half working gpus from AMD/ATI does not outperform Nvidia’s offering. What makes thing worst is each time they get close to releasing something they have to delay it. Have you bothered to ask yourself why? It’s not usually the hardware it’s the drivers or firmware. I’m actually hoping the rumors of Intel licensing AMD’s IP because it will probably outperform AMD’s onboard products. Intel products might be over priced but at least they pay their driver devs good money and they get solid drivers in return.

Don’t get me wrong I hate Nvidia, but they are winning because of the lack of true competition from AMD/ATI I’m forced to buy their hardware. The alternative would be to play games on a console…. :Shudder:

You clearly like just another drunk FanBOI spinning on his wheel.

• Krogoth

Go away shill.

Put away those green-tinted and blue-tinted shades before you go blind.

• BurntMyBacon

[quote=”JustAnEngineer”<]Who would've thought that TR users accounted for one third of that demographic on the entire planet?[/quote<] Nope. It's actually half. A buddy of mine frequents TR (but doesn't post). He has two 290s. Waiting for Vega to see how things play out. I'd be in a similar situation myself (1x290, 1x780Ti) if my insurance didn't require me to make all of my purchases prior to the beginning of this month to get reimbursed (see my earlier data recovery posts).

• anubis44

And then there’s people like me, who wouldn’t give a dime to nVidia if they were the last source of gaming graphics on the face of the earth. I’ve been waiting for Vega and I’m going to buy it if it’s even half-way decent as a replacement of my stout R9 290 that I paid $259.00 CDN for back in December 2013. Contrary to what you’re saying, all the people who have blown over $700US for Green Goblin walled garden tech are going to be regretting it when it becomes increasingly apparent that with the next gen consoles being Radeon powered, the gaming engines are being optimized for Radeon and not their overpriced junk.

nVidia themselves know their days in gaming are numbered, and that’s why they’re scrambling like made to produce self-driving cars, but they’re probably going to get clobbered there, too, by the much more formidable competition they’ll face.

• chuckula

Well then since you aren’t really interested in facts or anything like that, just stop posting here since your mind is clearly closed to new information and you clearly don’t want to contribute anything rational to the conversation.

• BurntMyBacon

Don’t confuse the issue with your “FACTS”.

• Kougar

Um, no. As stated this is a fully enabled GP102 part. After selling them for an entire year year you can be sure NVIDIA has plenty of intact GP102 cores it can sell. It also “fixes” the Titan X model, which had been completely undercut by the 1080 Ti’s launch.

• stefem

There are Quadro cards equipped with a fully enabled GP102, like the Quadro P6000

• the

Quadro P6000 is a very low volume part compared to the consumer gear. Unless there was a disaster in yields, nVidia should have a stock pile built up.

• stefem

At $1200 I seriously doubt that it has anything to do with AMD’s Vega. They are only trying to milk who suffer of “size complex” and want the fastest GPU just because is considered the fastest, but there’s who simply have money to spent too (wish I have too).

• BurntMyBacon

Don’t forget the crowd that didn’t jump for a 1080Ti because, while they could afford it, it didn’t seem worth the money. With the release of the Titan Xp, they can see what a great value the 1080Ti offers by comparison. It’s a great marketing trick to raise the perceived value of an item despite having neither added anything of value to the item (performance / features), nor lowered the value of what is asked for in exchange (price).

• Bumper

It does have to do with vega I think. But I think vega will perform lower than expected. Nvidia is saturating the market before vega is released. Vega will be released and be slower than a 1080ti. It will be a 6 months late and will have to be priced too low. All while nvidia retains king of the hill by a large margin with titan xp, overwhelming margin. Nvidia is squeezing AMD and cementing its status in the gaming community. This is a power move, not a reaction to vegas superior performance, but more likely inferior performance. Alpha dog. Fits with nvidia’s ceo too.

• End User

Nvidia is not scared. Nvidia is strutting.

• renz496

scared? probably not. but nvidia most likely want to be prepared if Vega might surprise them. even with 1080 nvidia position their product in a way they expect fierce competition from AMD. 980 was around 10% faster than 780ti at launch. with 1080 nvidia make it 1080 to be 20%-25% faster than reference 980ti instead of 10%.

• Kretschmer

Pascal reaped a process node improvement. I’m sure if Nvidia could have wrung more out of Maxwell at launch they would have.

• jihadjoe

NO, it’s a response to the 1080Ti.

No one’s gonna want a Titan that’s slower than the mainstream card, so they update it so people who want the absolute best have something they burn money on.

• mcarson09

What about the 980 ti beating it’s Titan when it was released? The only thing Vega has done was allow Nvidia to sell more Titan XPs because as usual they are late to the party, and when they get here a dollar short.

• NoOne ButMe

If this is a response to AMD, than it’s stupid.

It would have been better to wait for Vega NDA to go up, than set their NDA the same day. And humiliate AMD.

(I hope but don’t think Vega will beat GP102)

• JalaleenRumi

[s<]After XP, will they go for Vista and 7?[/s<] Sorry. Someone already used that.

• superjawes

So we can guess that the next few Titan cards will be Vista, 7, 8, 8.1…

But many people will stay on the Xp because they hate change 😉

• K-L-Waster

I’m sure there’s a handful sticking to Titan DOS 3.3 because command line is more efficient….

• Kougar

Vista, Volta, Vega… where’d you think they got the codenames from?

A Titan 7 does sound kinda fun, much better than Titan Xp.

• ImSpartacus

I don’t understand what it wasn’t “Titan 2017”.

We get exactly one titan per year, every year.

There’s no need for these stupid letters.

• Kougar

Careful what you say, NVIDIA might release the Titan Xp SP1 next year.

• CuttinHobo

I wonder how Nvidia’s partners feel about this new direct-sales approach. Not that I’d expect them to leave the only game in town at the top end of the market, but still.

• Airmantharp

They likely don’t care: the volume here is so small, that they’d probably lose money trying to sell them.

• NoOne ButMe

I think they’re worried about what it could mean in the longer term..

• CuttinHobo

The volume is small for these Titans, true, but they also sell Founders Editions of the rest of their lineup. I assume they keep enough GPU stock on hand for their own use and send what’s left to their partners. That’s the most profitable way to do it.

• NoOne ButMe

And how much money do AIBs make on high end cards versus low end cards?

I imagine 1080ti AIB entry level (close to $700 MSRP) is worth 4-5 1060 AIB (close to $250 MSRP)..

A Titan XP AIB (close to $1200 MSRP) probably would be worth 2-3 1080ti AIB…

• bhtooefr

The Founders Editions are often AIB themselves, though – my machine has a Gigabyte 1070 FE, for instance.

• CuttinHobo

Do they stick with one favored partner, though? Perhaps FE volumes are low enough that the other board manufacturers don’t get jealous, but if Nvidia wanted to they could go Apple-style and cut out the other AIBs completely. That sorry if thing trends to make executives antsy.

• bhtooefr

I believe for the Nvidia-branded ones (like the ones Best Buy carries), PNY is the favored partner, IIRC.

However, all of the AIBs can make a FE.

• NoOne ButMe

AIBs buy Founder Edition (formerly Fanboys Edition; Formerly Reference Design) from Nvidia. Low margin business for AIBs.

1 AIB card could be worth 2,3,4+ Reference designs.

• Redocbew

I’ve worked with companies going through the transition of wholesale-only to wholesale+direct before, and usually the partners will raise hell about the added competition just because they can. The manufacturer then finds the most polite way to tell them to shove it. If direct becomes a significant portion of the business, then it won’t take very long for even the crustiest old bean counter to see the difference between wholesale and retail sale prices once the dollars start piling up.

• DeadOfKnight

Like the 780 Ti, this should have been the 1080 Ti. Blame the guys who actually spent $1200 on a Titan.

• ImSpartacus

Blame amd for being 6+ months late on Vega.

I get that they have r&d restrictions and a budget to follow, but they need Vega now. And if they knew they couldn’t release Vega in 2016, then a Polaris 10X2 card would’ve sufficed for the 6ish months until Vega.

• DeadOfKnight

No Spartacus, I blame you for not releasing a GPU that can compete with Nvidia this quarter. This is your fault.

• Anovoca

Let’s just all call it a Titan Z and hope it catches on.

• RAGEPRO

But there was already a Titan Z.

• Anovoca

good, then they already have the brand Trademarked.

There was also already a Titan X. The suggestion is to alternate between them, I think.

• RAGEPRO

Haha, nice. Good catch. I’m not awake yet.

• NoOne ButMe

That’ll be the Dual version of this GPU. And $3500 this time, not a mere $3000

• chuckula

[quote<]The Titan Xp is available now for $1200 direct from Nvidia's website.[/quote<] Ngreedia obviously wants to get as much money as possible before Vega launches and ends the party.

• Kretschmer

I feel like there are about six people left on the planet who 1) are willing to pay $400+ for a graphics card and 2) didn’t already buy some flavor of Pascal: 1070, 1080, 1080Ti over the past year.

Unless AMD hits VEGA out of the park or significantly undercuts Pascal, I wouldn’t treat it like a game changer. AMD has been struggling in mid-to-high end GPU market since 2015, and we can’t assume that their lack of execution will subside.

• Voldenuit

That’s a fair point. AMD has gone 2 years without a credible high end card option.

In the mean time, we’ve seen lots of demanding AAA games, increasing DX12 adoption, rise of high-fps and high-dpi gaming.

If you haven’t already bought a high end card by now, you might not have been in the market for one anyway.

AMD needs to do more than sell cards to its loyalists, it needs to grow its user base, and while they’ve done that in the midrange, the high end is another hill to climb.

• JustAnEngineer

I’m eagerly looking forward to an upgrade from my two-year-old GeForce GTX980Ti graphics card that I can pair with a 3840×2160 or 3440×1440 FreeSync monitor. According to Kretschmer, that must leave just [b<]five[/b<] other people on the whole planet who are still using a gaming graphics card more than twelve months old.

• drfish

xP

• Shobai

Rise to the top again!

• Mr Bill

Expect a 2000 edition next.

• Growler

When should we expect the Millennium Edition?

• Redocbew

Let us hope we can skip that one this time.

• BurntMyBacon

Did we already get that with the GeForce FX series. Should be smooth sailing from here. At least until nVidia decides to make a one-size-fits-all mobile handset oriented GPU (Titan 10?).

• BurntMyBacon

LONG LIVE WINDOWS XP!
      Oh.
      We’re talking about video cards!?
      Does it have an XP driver? (o_O)

(/Joke)

• PBCrunch

So now there is an Nvidia GeForce GTX Titan X, an Nvidia Titan X (almost always called Titan XP in the press and hardware community), and an Nvidia Titan Xp?

Come on Nvidia, add in a number or pick a different letter and stop confusing everyone. The only people that benefit from this are shady ebay sellers trying to move Maxwell Titan cards as current models.

• Anovoca

TITAN X
      TIITAN X
      TIIITAN X
      TIVTAN X

There you go nVidia. Feel free to send me a card for my trouble.

• ImSpartacus

Year.

Use the release year.

We get one titan per calendar year. It’s been that way since the first titan.

Think of it like car model years.

• lycium

Remember that this is the same Nvidia who ran a competition to name their first “GPU”, because apparently their marketing department is THAT inept. Ohhh, to be a fly on the wall while those overpaid dudes come up with these names…

PC hardware lore: that’s how the original GeForce 256 name came about: the geometry processing (hardware transform and lighting) and bus width (256 bits).

• HisDivineOrder

If our recent news cycle has proven anything to me, it’s that the Nameless Corporations have caught onto the fact that confusion gives them a LOT of wiggle room to do a LOT of wiggly things.

• jihadjoe

They should just add in model years like cars.

Chevy has had three Corvette Z06s now, but nobody is confused about them.

• chuckula

So we know how long AMD’s exclusivity on using “Xp” in hardware lasted: just short of 16 years.

Unless Microsoft sues…

• Voldenuit

[quote<]So we know how long AMD's exclusivity on using "Xp" in hardware lasted[/quote<] AMD could one-up nvidia and re-rebadge the upcoming RX 580s into 'Radeon Vista'! It's tie in with the whole 5 = V = Vega thing going, too.

• Airmantharp

That’s:
    3584 shaders -> 3840 shaders for 7% more raw shader power per clock
    480GB/s -> 547.7GB/s for 14% more raw bandwidth

All before overclocking, of course.

• PainIs4ThaWeak1

For ONLY a meager $500 more than a 1080 Ti!

• Airmantharp

Right? Those numbers were Titan X (Pascal) to Titan XP though, not 1080 Ti to Titan XP.

Now that I think about it, I should have compared all three, but I did the first comparison simply because there wasn’t one in the article at all :/.