Deals of the week: a packed ROG mobo, lit RAM, and more

Fair Friday to you, dear gerbils. Can you feel the tension in the air? Do you sense the impending explosion of frametime graphs, value charts, and endless discussions about the upcoming Ryzen 5 CPUs? Of course you do. You need something to soothe your mind, focus on something else. How about some deals?

• Everybody likes a fancy motherboard, our crowd more than most. The ROG Maximus VIII Hero Alpha motherboard has a name almost as long-winded as its list of features. Two M.2 slots, an Intel Gigabit Ethernet controller, and built-in 802.11ac Wi-Fi with MU-MIMO support all make appearances. Audio output is handled by an ESS ES9203P DAC and TI op-amps, and there are USB 3.1 Type-C and Type-A ports. Oh, and there's RGB LED lighting on tap, too. Grab one of these boards for $228.99 from Newegg if you use promo code EMCSRERH3. There's a $30 rebate card on offer, too.

• We're building most of a system today in the deals, so the graphics card is up next. The Gigabyte RX 480 4GB G1 graphics card offers up two fans, RGB LED lighting, and a 1290 MHz core clock. Newegg's asking price of $179.99 is good enough on its own, but you also get a free copy of Doom to go with it.

• RAM is up next. Sticks o' memory with LED lighting are all the rage now, and the sales are already running. The Corsair Vengeance LED 16GB kit with two 8GB DIMMs clocked at 3000 MT/s is selling at Newegg for $124.99 after promo code EMCRERH24. They're available with blue, red, and white lighting.

• All those games and nowhere to put them? How about aboard the HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB spinner? This hard drive is pretty darn fast with its 7200 RPM rotational speed and 64MB of cache. I personally own the 5TB variant and can attest to its responsiveness. Grab one from Newegg for $119.99 with the code EMCRERH27.

• Stop bugging the neighbors with all those Overwatch explosions and get yourself a headset. Like the Logitech G930 wireless set that offers Dolby Headphone 7.1 surround sound, three programmable macro keys, and a volume roller. It helps that it's pretty, too. Newegg will sell you one for $64.99.

That's it for today, folks! If you come across any juicy deals that we missed, help out your fellow gerbils and post it in the comments section below.

There's a chance you're looking for something we haven't covered. If that's the case, you can help The Tech Report by using the following referral links when you're out shopping: not only do we have a partnership with Newegg, but we also work with Best Buy, Adorama, RakutenWalmart, and Sam's Club. For more specific needs, you can also shop with our links at the Microsoft Store and Das Keyboard's shop.

• DreadCthulhu

If anyone wants a [url=https://jet.com/product/RYZEN-5-1600-WITH-WRAITH-SPIRE/1a65b7124d1046f8931627194994a8ef<]Ryzen R5 1600[/url<] a bit early, Jet.com is selling them right now. They also have the R5 1400 on their site as well. First time buyers get 15% off on first order.

• albundy

thats quite expensive for the ram, but i guess you are paying for the LEDs. i picked up 8gb ripjaws V 3200 cas16 last week for $110 at eggy. i guess prices are still climbing.

• phileasfogg

I apologize if this isn’t much of a “deal” by TR Standards but… Fry’s has the EVGA GTX1070 8GB for $379 with a $30 MIR, with a ‘promo code’ (easily obtainable if you sign up on their site). And if you’re fortunate enough to live in a low/zero state-tax-rate state (or have a parent/sibling/friend that does 😉 , that’s even more savings.

Calif residents get socked with a 9.x% sales tax at the Egg and Fry’s 🙁

• techguy

I don’t find that hard drive price to be a deal at all.

I buy 4TB 7200RPM Toshiba drives from Micro center for $115 each. Have 10 of em.

[url<]http://www.microcenter.com/product/478137/X300_4TB_7,200_RPM_SATA_III_6Gb-s_35_Desktop_Internal_Hard_Drive_-_HDWE140XZSTA[/url<]

• MOSFET

It may or may not matter to budget storage shoppers, but Toshiba is struggling financially and shopping around (at least parts of) the HDD and flash memory businesses. I have quite a few of the DCA___ 2TB models, but have switched to the HGST NAS. (oddly enough the only reason I have Toshiba storage is their purchase of Hitachi storage, which was oddly enough not the same company as HGST, Hitachi Global Storage technologies.)

• DragonDaddyBear

I own a G930 headset and find it very uncomfortable for anything past an hour. I also find the music performance to be poor to pathetic. Game audio and microphone performance is pretty good. It also didn’t like my Anker USB 3.0 hub. Most those critiques are dependent on the user and YMMV.

• homerdog

I have a G930 and I love it =)

• DragonDaddyBear

I’m happy you like it. I prefer my vmoda m100 with a boom mic most of the time. I ready need to get the bigger ear cups, though. But in an FPS I usually go for the 930.

• OptimumSlinky

I have a G430 and I’ve been most impressed with it so far. Hooked into a Xonar DSX, it’s punchy, clear, and light enough to be comfortable (though it does start to push in on your head during really long sessions).

• morphine

You can pry my Anker USB 3.0 hub from my cold, dead hands.

Also, 2.4 GHz receivers, audio gear, or anything that requires constant data throughput doesn’t tend to work well in hubs.

• Voldenuit

Yeah, pcgamer’s headset roundup scored the Logi G930 a 3/10 for audio quality, which seems to match your experience.

[url<]http://www.pcgamer.com/we-tested-23-mainstream-gaming-headsets-to-find-the-best/2/[/url<]

• RoxasForTheWin

That ram isn’t RGB, no deal.

• morphine

That’s fine, you can [url=https://techreport.com/news/31713/g-skill-trident-z-rgb-memory-kits-grow-to-128gb-capacity<] grab this instead.[/url<] 🙂

• Neutronbeam

Y’all should have a No RGB Day once a week…but then you wouldn’t have much to talk about.

[Well, it’s funny to ME]