Samsung CH711 quantum dot monitors are strictly business

If you're fond of the Samsung CF791 but find its $950 price tag a bit much, maybe check out one of Samsung's new curved business monitors. The CH711 series includes a 32" model and a 27" model, both bearing a fairly typical 1800R curvature. We're not sure exactly what type of business benefits from a curved monitor with FreeSync, but perhaps that's Samsung's way of saying that these monitors are high-end offerings with only some of the features and cost trimmed away.

What's left behind is a pair of identical-looking 2560×1440 monitors using Samsung's SVA panels and quantum-dot LED backlights. Both displays specify a 4-ms response time, 3000:1 static contrast ratio, and typical brightness of 300 cd/m². Refresh rates displays cap out at 60 Hz.

Those specifications paint a pretty picture for these monitors', uh, picture. Your news writer here has a Samsung CFG70 QDLED SVA monitor with most of the same specifications and can vouch for its glorious color and rich contrast.  You can hook a computer up to the CH711s with Mini-DisplayPort or HDMI inputs. The CH711 monitors haven't hit e-tail yet, and there's yet no word about pricing.

• GrimDanfango

“business monitor” is current marketing speak for “it only goes up to 60hz”

Certainly fine sounding monitors, but I’m rather hoping Samsung get around to not only a quantum-dot VA-panel 1440p at 120+hz, but ideally finally introduce G-sync to the mix, as they’ve suggested they intend to do this year at some point.

For now, I’ve switched out my Rog Swift gamer-oriented TN for the excellent Philips BDM3270QP2 – incredible 6000:1 static contrast (despite only claiming 3000:1), and beautiful accurate colour… but still only 60hz, and a pretty sluggish 60hz at that, considerable input lag and response times, even with overdrive on. Certainly not much of a gaming screen.

I’m just waiting for someone to bring along something that’s at least *almost* the best of both worlds.

• kamikaziechameleon

the 32 inch looks really promising.

Oh skipped over the part where they were only standard 2k resolutions… Assumed they were 4K with all the other bells and whistles.

• DPete27

Please Samsung, just make us a flat 27″ 1440p Quantum Dot 100Hz FreeSync monitor.

• blahsaysblah

120Hz? its multiple of 24, 30, 60…

I still don’t understand 144Hz. But i guess it matches 1440p, multiple of 720p. Every game has real assets for 1080p target. Plenty of games have to do some sort of scaling for everything else. Just fact of life in 1080p world.

• UberGerbil

In 3D games, everything is getting scaled all the time, no matter what resolution you’re running. Take a step forward in the virtual world, everything gets rescaled. Take a step back, everything is rescaled again. There really isn’t a “native” size for anything.

2D games are a different story, but I don’t think the people who play Bejewelled notice or care if their graphics are at their best (and since many of the 2D game payers seem to be older, they may have their Windows resolution set to scale anyway).

• Airmantharp

My Acer Predator runs at 165Hz in games, but I set the desktop to 120Hz for this purpose. Nothing to it really, I’m good with 120Hz+ support.

• DPete27

I only said 100Hz because that seems to be the upper limit of their QDVA panels at the moment. (aka CF791)

• JustAnEngineer

I’d probably be happy to see them put Quantum dots and FreeSync on a flat 40″ 3840×2160 monitor, even if the refresh rate topped out at less than 100 Hz.

• RAGEPRO

My CFG70 is a QDVA monitor with 144 Hz refresh rate. However, it’s also only 1920×1080. (It’s also being serviced right now…)

• EndlessWaves

Are there a large enough number of photo editors who also use their monitor for gaming to make such a thing worthwhile?

Quantum Dots and other ways of achieving wide colour gamut aren’t very attractive right now because so few programs are colour aware. A wider gamut screen will just shift all the colours, instead of keeping the more subtle shades correct and showing more extreme shades than were possible before.

• krazyredboy

I’m a little disappointed in the lack of VESA mounts. Otherwise, I’d be interested in buying one.

• RAGEPRO

There’s a VESA bracket for the CF791, which looks similar on the back. Might want to keep an eye out to see if they’ll offer one for these.

• krazyredboy