Halo Wars: Definitive Edition is definitely heading to Steam

Check outside for airborne pigs, cows returning home, and Beelzebub on a sled. Among all the other things about 2017 that were inconceivable just a year ago, a Halo game is now coming to Steam. Microsoft announced that the remastered version of the 2009 RTS Halo Wars is hitting Valve's game shop on April 20, in addition to its standalone release on the Windows store.

Halo Wars: Definitive Edition originally hit the PC back in December, but was available only as part of Halo Wars 2's Ultimate Edition. For the Steam release, all the Xbox Live connectivity built into the original release is stripped out. Steam achievements replace Xbox Live achievements, and Steam Cloud save syncing replaces Microsoft's Xbox Live solution.

The game's multiplayer functionality will also run within Valve's system (and with other Steam players only). Online play will happen through a server browser "where anyone can create and host a game for others to search and join," according to the official announcement. The Steam edition of Halo Wars uses DirectX 11 and runs on Windows 7, 8.1, and Windows 10. Meanwhile, the Windows Store release only runs on Windows 10. Players of the Xbox One and Windows 10 versions have their own network, too.

Halo Wars: Definitive Edition will be available on April 20 for a not-bad-at-all $19.99 on Steam. Purchases of the game through Steam are not eligible for the game's Xbox Play Anywhere feature, which lets players buy the game once and play it on both the Xbox and Windows 10.

• kn00tcn

excuse me, the halo wars games are already on steam, how is it inconceivable?

[url<]http://store.steampowered.com/app/277430/[/url<] [url<]http://store.steampowered.com/app/459220/[/url<]

• Ninjitsu

Still waiting for the Master Chief Collection to hit Steam. Heck, I’d be happy with just Halo:AE.

I was so excited when the games were listed on steamdb (2 years ago)…
    [url<]https://steamdb.info/app/216760/[/url<] [url<]https://steamdb.info/app/216780/[/url<] [url<]https://steamdb.info/app/216800/[/url<] EDIT: Interesting thread on reddit: [url<]https://www.reddit.com/r/halo/comments/65wfx6/halo_wars_definitive_edition_coming_to_steam/dgfd4hb/[/url<]

• kn00tcn

memba this? [url<]http://www.kn00tcn.net/site/halo-3-for-pc/[/url<] halo was in the amd drivers, as was GTA5 for a while before any announcements

• OptimumSlinky

Master Chief Collection is basically a coaster; it was released buggy, unplayable, and broken beyond belief, and they never bothered to fix it. Sort of like Battlefield 4, except DICE stepped up and did the right thing.

• DeadOfKnight

Anyone know how good this is? Ensemble Studios had a good reputation back in the day for RTS games on PC, but since this one was developed for consoles, I don’t know.

• Aveon

They facked it up just like COD-IW. You cannot play with any of the windows 10 owners.

• LostCat

I’d guess the Store version also has a DX12 renderer, much like Quantum Break.

• tipoo

Meh, wait for Halo Wars: Purported Edition to purportedly make it to PC.

• Sargent Duck

I’m a/was a big fan of RTS (Oh, CnC, how much time I wasted on you), but other than hearing a that it was released on Xbox, I assumed it to be pretty crappy playing an RTS with a Controller.

Has anybody played this game? Is it any good?

• DrDominodog51

I played this on Xbox 360 and rather enjoyed it. I also don’t RTS, so I have no games to compare it to.

The campaign is on the shorter side if I remember correctly. Also, being a fan of the Halo universe definitely would increase enjoyment of this game, but you don’t need to know anything about the universe to start up the game.

For $20, I’m definitely going to buy this.

• cmrcmk

It’s surprising that not only are they letting another distributor have it but that MS is also letting them forgo the crap restrictions of the original source.

• superjawes

Microsoft, y u no release “real” [i<]Halo[/i<] on PC?

• Voldenuit

I don’t think it would hold up. I remember reading that the memory limitations on the xbox and later, 360, forced Bungie to re-design a majority of levels into corridor-fests.

Then again, when was the last good Bungie Game? Myth: TFL? Oni was fairly pedestrian outside of its ‘anime inspired’ schtick. I still think Marathon was better than DOOM, though.

• RAGEPRO

Pump your brakes, kid! Oni is one of my all-time favorite games. 🙂 Marathon was deeper than Doom, but I don’t think that necessarily makes it a better game.

Halo 1 and 2 actually did come to the PC, and played rather well here. I think Microsoft knew that Halo 3 was its ace card for the Xbox 360 and that if it were on PC it would have severely damaged the Xbox brand which at that time was only just coming into its own after the fairly disastrous original Xbox.

With that said, there is [url=https://www.reddit.com/r/HaloOnline/<]a form of Halo 3 on PC...[/url<]

• tipoo

Hm? Halo 1 and 2 are the ones on PC, where most of those limitations come from. 3-5 aren’t. Halo 1 did become a corridor fest late game, but its highs still kept it my favourite.

Tried to play Halo 2 on PC (several years late because I refused to install Vista on launch and so didn’t get DX10).

It was SOOO dated, ugly and boring by the time I came back to it that I realised Microsoft had killed the franchise for PC for good.

• TurtlePerson2

The Halo 2 PC release was kind of a disaster. It forced you to have DX10 (Vista) to play, which wasn’t common at the time it was released. Also, it ran very slowly despite being the same game that ran on the original XBox just with a higher resolution.

It’s too bad because it does have an enjoyable single-player campaign, but I didn’t play it until several years after it was released.

• kvndoom

Halo 2 was patched by some free spirits to work on Windows XP within weeks of release. The “Vista required” ploy was pure baloney to promote their new OS.

• Ninjitsu

Halo 1 > Halo 2 on PC, and maybe even otherwise. Oh well, except energy swords.

• TurtlePerson2

Having recently replayed Halo 1 and Halo 2 in the Master Chief Collection on XBox, I can say very confidently that Halo 2 >>> Halo 1. Halo 1 feels very dated compared Halo 2, despite the two being only a few years apart. The pacing on Halo 1 feels very slow, the objectives aren’t always clear, and the scale feels small in comparison to Halo 2.

Additionally, the story of Halo 2 is much more intricate than that of Halo 1, which was really quite simple. I don’t really get the argument that Halo 2 ends on a cliffhanger. It’s less of a cliffhanger than Empire Strikes Back and no one has a problem with that ending.

I think that Halo 2 gets a bad rap because anticipation was so high. If you don’t look at the two through nostalgia goggles, then 2 is superior to 1.

• tipoo

I think it has to be looked at with the perspective of year of release. Yes, they were only a few years apart, but in 2001, Halo CE was groundbreaking for shooters. By Halo 2, Half Life 2 and other similar were up there with it, but CE stood apart that year. Especially for a pack in game no one expected much of when the Xbox first launched, which then became the main system seller.

• ImSpartacus

Halo is timeless. There’s tons of nostalgia to be reaped.

• tipoo

Probably my most replayed game of all time, and 99% of the time I’m a one and done gamer.

• toastie

Doom was (is?) the better ‘twitch’ action game. Marathon had a much more engaging plot. A couple years ago, I got nostalgic and wanted to play again and found a ‘remastered’ version here: [url<]https://alephone.lhowon.org/[/url<] Good times...

• Ninjitsu

i does hold up, in fact. Heck Bungie even put out a patch for it last year 😀

• ClickClick5

Because you need the real power of the 360 to play the games….*cough*….

I love that excuse.

• ImSpartacus

Because Halo Online already has the multiplayer aspect on lock down?

• OptimumSlinky

I would say they should just release the Master Chief Collection on PC, which had remastered versions of Halo: CE and Halo 2 along with standard versions of Halo 3, Halo: ODST and Halo 4, but MCC was a horrific, dumpster fire of a game on Xbox that was basically abandoned after Halo 5 launched.

A fixed, patched PC version would be an incredible dream, but it’ll never happen.

• superjawes

The MCC is kind of what I’m referring to. I can see them avoiding the main releases to keep hype up on their console, but a re-release of older games? That could easily pick up enough digital PC sales to pay for itself, especially since PC hasn’t been getting Halo releases.

• OptimumSlinky

True, but that would require them to actually patch and fix the MCC; it’s still completely broken.