Eizo Prominence CG3145 laughs at your display’s contrast ratio

I have an LG 24UD58 10-bit 4K monitor that can reproduce 72% of the NTSC color space, and I'm pretty happy with it. My display's color performance probably looks downright pathetic next to Eizo's new Prominence CG3145 HDR Reference monitor, though. This 31.1" monitor is part of Eizo's Professional Color Management series, and can reproduce up to 98% of the digital movie DCI-P3 color space.

The CG3145 uses a 10-bit IPS panel with 4096×2160 resolution (DCI 4K) paired with what Eizo calls a "wide-gamut LED" backlight. Eizo has been making top-quality monitors for a long time, so we're inclined to take the company at its word when it claims the CG3145 can achieve a world-beating million-to-one static contrast ratio. To get there, its engineers had to equip the CG3145 with a backlight capable of producing an eye-searing 1,000 cd/m².

The company claims the Prominence CG3145 is the first HDR monitor that is free of the issues resulting from the shortcuts that other monitors have to take to approach "HDR". Eizo specifically calls out the auto-brightness limiter used in OLED monitors, as well as LED backlight local dimming. Unfortunately, the company doesn't explain exactly how it achieved the CG3145's amazing contrast figures and excellent color reproduction.

Users can hook up to the Prominence CG3145 using one of its two DisplayPort or two HDMI connectors, although HDMI input is limited to 10-bit 4:2:2 signals. The Prominence also includes a USB connection for software control and a three-port USB 3.0 hub. Eizo hasn't announced a price for its new HDR monitor, but expect it to be in "if you have to ask" territory.

• willmore

72% of NTSC color gamut? Isn’t that pretty horrible?

• EndlessWaves

No, it’s the standard sRGB colour gamut that computers have used for decades, and is also used for things like Blu-ray disks.

Although why it’s been quoted in a no longer used north american TV standard I’ve no idea.

• willmore

Thank you.

• RAGEPRO

NTSC is much wider than (and also much different from) sRGB. [url=http://i.imgur.com/DCZBf5O.png<]See here.[/url<]

• GrimDanfango

Well, I’ll believe it when I see it… but it sounds interesting enough. I wonder if they’ve also solved the “IPS glow” issue with this panel.

• TwoEars

Eizo doesn’t fuck around, if they list those specs I believe them.

• GrimDanfango

I have to admit, they’re generally one of the lesser around-****ers in the monitor business. Looking forward to see when the reviews roll in!

Ouch. I like my retinas un-seared, thanks.

At 150-200 cd/m², it’s still inferior to VA simply because at the same usable brightness, VA has darker blacks than IPS.

• GrimDanfango

If their claims of 1,000,000 static contrast ratio are within even two orders of magnitude of true, that would place its black level far below even most VA panels, even given then brighter white-point.
      Hard to believe, but I guess we’ll have to wait and see.

Heh, the maths doesn’t lie but I’m calling bluff on that number being the [i<]static[/i<] constrast ratio. Given the chunkiness of that monitor, I'm guessing either it's a dynamic contrast figure, or they're using super thick filters (which change the brightness based on your viewing angle) or worse - local backlight dimming. VA isn't perfect, but it's the best tech at blocking out backlights. Significantly better than IPS thanks to simple, unarguable physics.

• GrimDanfango

Yeah, I’ve long been a fan of VA panels… I got a decent quality IPS screen once, but the IPS-glow effect annoyed me so much I had to return it. I was actually surprised how good the original ROG Swift managed to be with a naffy old TN panel, and I stuck with that for quite a while recently, but the vertical viewing angles were so bad that eventually I decided to swap it out for another VA panel. (The Phillips BDM3270QP2 – surprisingly, claims 3000:1 contrast, but measures nearer 6000:1!)
          It’s got agonisingly slow input lag… took me a couple of days to get used to it after the lightning fast Asus, but it looks lovely!

I’m just waiting for the eventual day that I can have accurate colours, deep blacks, responsiveness *and* 120+hz with G-sync. Until then, I’ll stick with just colours and blacks 🙂

• morphine

I very much doubt this is your average IPS panel. Monitors in this range aren’t usually defined by their panel type as much as for the all the specificity that goes into their design one way or another.

Oh of course not.

I’f I’d had to guess I’d assume a multizone RG+B backlight with local dimming, additional polarisers to minimise off-angle IPS glow and a massively thick diffuser to improve backlight uniformity.

Given the DCI-P3 coverage I’d be expecting IZGO, quantum-dot tech, or both.

• GrimDanfango

Quantum-DIGZO?! I’m not sure the world is ready for such dangerous concentrations of buzzword 🙂

SUPER QDIGZO RG+B WG LED IPS DCI-P3 HDR+ II TURBO CHAMPIONSHIP EDITION

• BurntMyBacon

STOP!
            PLEASE!
            OH THE NIGHTMARES!

• meerkt

I don’t see how increasing the max brightness would normally lead to better contrast, as the stronger backlight will just bleed thru.

The claimed 1M contrast and 1000 cd/m^2 sound like Panasonic’s IPS thing:
    [url<]http://news.panasonic.com/global/press/data/2016/11/en161128-4/en161128-4.html[/url<]

• chµck

they probably have a polarizer layer that takes care of the extra bleed

• meerkt

Even if they only improved the contrast ratio by 10 it’d be a real breakthrough, especially when combined with IPS. If response times are good this might supplant every other LCD type.

• RAGEPRO

They don’t list the response times on the site, so I suspect that they are not good. Haha.

• frenchy2k1

This is a photo and video editing monitor for professional. Response time will be a far secondary concern to color accuracy.

• RAGEPRO

Yeah, of course. I’d even go so far as to say it isn’t a concern at all, heh.

• cmrcmk

If contrast is defined as the ratio of max brightness to min brightness then it might be easier to double your max than half your min.

• BurntMyBacon

That may be true to an extent, but you have to use a light source that is capable of displaying that brightness over an extended period of time without burning out prematurely.

• BurntMyBacon

I’d like to see one of those in action.

• odizzido

Turn that on in a dark room and you will go blind almost instantly. My monitor has a max of 300cd/m² and my brightness is set to 45(%?) so I can use it comfortably. I have to wonder what the contrast ratio of this one is when it’s set to 10-15% of its max brightness.

• EndlessWaves

HDR keeps the average scene brightness the same, the extra brightness is used for small areas of the picture (the sun, car headlights, explosions etc.) to increase the contrast.

• odizzido

Oh really? That sounds pretty cool actually. I really should go over that HDR article I have bookmarked for myself sometime.

• EndlessWaves

If it was this one then I’d definitely recommend it, I found it pretty good:
          [url<]http://www.lightillusion.com/uhdtv.html[/url<]

• Major-Failure

The MOAB … mother of all bezels

• Kretschmer

I’m always more interested in what is inside of said bezel!

• Voldenuit

I remember those thinkpad hoods that enveloped the screen which you peered at through a slit. The ultimate privacy filter.

[url<]http://www.notebookreview.com/assets/16524.jpg[/url<]

• chuckula

That’s not a bezel.

[url=https://youtu.be/G3sHj6evfMA?t=1m43s<]Now this. This is a Bezel[/url<]

• nico1982

Rotflmao

• BurntMyBacon

That’s just its nickname.
      Its official designation is Massive Obnoxiously Annoying Bezel.