Amazon’s Echo Look uses machine learning to dress you up

We're only just scratching the surface these days of how connected devices and machine learning can affect our lives. Some answers are subtle, some less so. I wouldn't have pegged "fashion guide" as the next step for machine learning, but Amazon says otherwise. Amazon just unveiled its new Echo Look "style assistant."

The Echo Look gives Alexa a set of eyes with the intent of helping users look their best. The included camera features depth-sensing and background blurring as well as built-in LED lighting. The device pairs with a companion app which includes a feature called Style Check. This feature uses machine learning algorithms combined with advice from fashion specialists to make a judgment call on the user's outfit. Amazon also claims the companion app will also suggest new brands and styles based on previously-captured images. The more information you give it in the form of outfit photos, the better the Echo Look's ideas should be.

In addition to these new fashion-forward functions, the Echo Look can perform many of Alexa's actions like setting alarms, checking the weather, and playing audio books. Amazon says it will continue to add additional Alexa functionality to the Look as time goes on.

The device is only available by invitation right now and costs $199. The Echo Look's current use-case seems to be pretty focused on getting people to spend more money on clothes on Amazon, but if the company builds more interesting functionality into the device, it could become an indispensable tool for other tasks.

• Michelob

Me: “Alexa, how does this look?”
    ding
    Alexa: “I’ll bet you get a free bowl of soup with that hat… but it looks good on you though!”.

• Wonders

Do you get a divide by zero error if you’re not wearing pants?

• DPete27

Social media has made people so vain… ugh. Get over yourself.

• Kretschmer

I wonder how many personal skills we will offload to technology in the coming decade. My spelling and memory are already weakening as I rely on technology to handle those functions.

• just brew it!

I don’t think anyone knows how to get anywhere without a GPS any more.

• morphine

Hey, I got into this ditch just fine without my GPS!

• Krogoth

Simple navigation is becoming a lost art. 🙁

• Froz

I remember there were some research done about connection between memory and ability to write. Analphabetic people in general can remember much more than those who can write. But would you really prefer to be analphabetic? :p

Personally I can’t wait until we get chips planted directly in brain that will augment our intellectual capabilities, be able to google anything instantly and so on. At this point we could also augment our vision, hearing etc. Would be very useful when we sleep in our skytowers, dreaming in VR and never seeing another human being in real life.

• Brainsan

Just don’t forget to keep up to date on your security patches and anti-virus.

• just brew it!

Skynet has determined that your fashion sense is a lost cause… Terminator dispatched.

• Krogoth

Like Skynet has any room to talk. 😉

[url<]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v248/Krogoth255/Silly%20Sunglasses_zpsgvvu9ioo.jpg[/url<]

• notfred

So a camera located where you get dressed. It is controlled by the cloud and also uploading pictures to the cloud.

What could possibly go wrong?

• just brew it!

None of this will matter when the Singularity arrives and we all upload.

• llisandro

And here I was using brain learning to dress myself, like a chump!

• Krogoth

“Alexa, do these jeans like my OWMBO look fat?”

• JosiahBradley

Did you guys notice the dude in the video. For a second I thought it was going to be sexist but they made sure to make it diverse with like 2 seconds of male footage. </sarcasm>

What? I’m ugly. I can hate on this product.

• albundy

man, i wish i could never work, do nothing all day, party all night, and waste my time playing dressup with an app. maybe i can… if i pimp out alexa. [url<]https://youtu.be/Uwua1GwsEBk?t=3m1s[/url<]

• DrDominodog51

Alexa: “I am ordering an 100 pack of paper bags for you to put on your face. If I could kill myself, I would have the moment I saw you. I am also ordering some bleach for you to drink, so others don’t have to look upon you. Except those poor guys in the morgue.”

Me: “Jesus. I’m just going to go back to wearing boat shoes with basketball shorts.”

Alexa: “DrDominodog51, please unplug me.”

• K-L-Waster

That gets even funnier if you imagine it with GLADOS’s voice for Alexa….

• Acidicheartburn

If this had come out on April 1st, I would have quickly passed it off as another April Fools’ joke.

Looks like another product aimed at people with more money than personal restraint.

• chuckula

Relates to Amazon, the Fire box just got an “upgrade” that made it harder to navigate episodes and screwed up the function where it used to turn itself off when the TV turned off.

THANKS AMAZON!

• shaq_mobile

Its…. AMAZong! 😉

I still can’t believe that people put these in their home. I feel like we are so willing to give up massive amounts of privacy for minor conveniences.

This makes the movie enemy of the state look naive.

• GrimDanfango

“Alexa is [built from(?)] the cloud, and always getting smarter…”

Nothing remotely ominous about that statement.

• brucethemoose

Next Alexa evolutions:

A: Motorize the camera, so it can look around.

B: Connect it to a health monitoring gadget.

C: [i<]Drumroll please[/i<]... The Alexa drone! The fact that my dog would certainly try to eat C makes me feel much safer.

• drfish

I think my Echo Look is broken. Alexa just keeps saying, “does not compute” over and over…

• DancinJack

This ought to get a glowing reception from the TR crowd…

• morphine

Well, admittedly, our crowd could prooooobably use some help with fashion.

• Neutronbeam

Well, I’m certain you can help us get familiar with the current Euronerd look. 🙂

• morphine

I’m sorry, I’m too [i<]smooth[/i<] for that.

• Redocbew

I don’t need a widget to tell me I’m being slovenly. I already know that. 🙂

• Neutronbeam

Whew–for a second I thought Amazon was going to do something creepy.

• nanoflower

Not a chance of that happening. I’m sure they will never let anyone get improper access to this data even though it’s stored in the ‘cloud.’

• Froz

Why are you using future tense? I sense a trick.