Silverstone Vital VT02 could hold a Core i7 in under two liters

When we saw Silverstone's first Vital chassis at Computex last year, we commented that most of the Mini-STX enclosures we had seen were pretty similar. Fittingly, Silverstone's next Vital-series chassis is a bit different from its predecessor. The Vital VT02 is once again designed for motherboards in the Mini-STX form factor, but this time, the unit has room for a pair of 2.5" drives.

Two 2.5" devices may not seem like a lot of storage, but in a device that's under two liters in total volume it's pretty impressive. The Vital VT02 can also fit Intel's standard boxed cooler, so builders don't have to worry about shelling out for a low-profile heatsink. The case has USB Type-A and Type-C ports on the front, as well as your standard 3.5-mm headphone and mic jacks.

The actual dimensions of the case are 6.5" by 2.87" by 6.16" (16.5 by 7.3 by 15.6cm)—even smaller than a Nintendo Wii U. You won't be fitting a graphics card or a power supply in the VT02, but that's sort of missing the point anyway. Silverstone also includes a VESA mount for attaching the VT02 to a wall or the back of a monitor. Silverstone will sell the chassis for just $31.50, or 28.90€, when it goes on sale.

Mini-STX is an Intel-driven standard, and as of yet, the only boards in that size are for LGA 1151 CPUs. AMD's upcoming Raven Ridge processors seem like an ideal fit for small form-factor applications like this, however, so hopefully some enterprising motherboard vendor steps up to the plate.

• ImSpartacus

I don’t really get mSTX, but I’m pretty hyped for Raven Ridge in a compact form factor. That could kill.

I’m not seeing the point of Mini-STX in general;

I think the Intel NUC, Zotac Zbox and Gigabyte Brix have that market 100% sewn up with no incentive for anyone to roll their own build.

The problem with STX is zero expansion slots, so you can’t do anything with Mini-STX that existing options don’t already cover – and in a sleeker, cheaper, pre-built, better-integrated package at that….

• ImSpartacus

I agree. You go big or you go home.

If you want some level of expandability, then mITX has all the features that 90% of gamers and general users will need.

If you want a small form factor, then a custom integrated solution like the NUC is where it’s at.

The in between is awkward. It starts to get the worst of both worlds.

Yeah, worst of both worlds.

[quote<]Hi, I'd like a really small non-expandable PC please. But I don't want a tiny, cheap, off-the-shelf one. [i<]Oh no[/i<]; I'd like the biggest thing there is without being big enough to have any expansion room, and ideally it needs to be both more expensive [i<]AND[/i<] harder to source parts for. Oh, and don't worry about making it all integrated like an SoC so that it's efficient and stuff, I have a large 65W cooler I want to use up and an oversized external power pack that I need to find a use for. Don't give me none o' that "power and cooling to match the design" rubbish, I want this non-expandable PC to have upgrade potential!![/quote<] /facepalm.

• DoomGuy64

Who buys these things, and why?

• FranzVonPapen

I have a hard time imagining the use case for this, too.

• Redocbew

Maybe if mini-STX takes off as a form factor there will be more choices available, but buying one of these in order to assemble your own NUC/Zbox/Brix seems like a pain in the neck when you could just buy one of those instead.

It makes sense to pick your own parts even in a mini-ITX machine because it has plenty of space for a variety of components. Not so much here.

• ChicagoDave

I imagine the primary use case would be an HTPC sitting next to audio receivers, amps, etc. Don’t need super high end hardware and want something that blends in with the surrounding environment.

Personally I went with a [url=https://content.hwigroup.net/images/products_xl/164911/3/fractal-design-node-605.jpg<]Fractal Design Node 605 [/url<] for my HTPC build as it fits ATX sized mobo's and I could fit a full size EVGA 970 in there, which will eventually be replaced with the shorty single fan EVGA 1060 in my main rig. Not to mention it looks sleek as all hell and everyone thinks it's an amplifier until I show them that it's a full fledged computer hiding in plain sight 🙂

• Ummagumma

I agree, this new Silverstone case sounds like like a true HTPC given the VESA mounts since VESA mounts and large volume cases don’t normally go together.

In your case, your HTPC sounds like it is also a gaming rig or a truly “high end” TV like 2k or 4k. There is nothing wrong with that; you avoid the clutter of multiple machines and bundles of cables. Then again there may also be the “spouse acceptance factor” to consider, a matter that not all of us have to address.

• NovusBogus

This could be a viable NUC alternative, slightly larger but capable of supporting a much stronger desktop class CPU. Not sure what you’re supposed to do about power, I did some research and didn’t turn up anything helpful.

• blahsaysblah

I think mini-STX is like thin-ITX, they all have a 19V power port on the motherboard. You just have to supply a good laptop brick. Look at the the Intel mini-STX boards on Newegg. The [url=https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157723<]ASRock H110M-STX[/url<] actually says: [quote<]DC Jack Compatible with 19V power adapters. This unique design allows this motherboard to t in compact chassis and saves more power consumption. * It is recommended to use 120W power adaptor. 90W power adapter only supports CPU with a maximum of 51W TDP. **DC Adapter is not included**[/quote<]