Gigabyte Aero 15 is slim and packs a mean punch

Getting a bigger screen into a device without making the external dimensions any larger is a big trend these days. Smartphones are losing their buttons while screens of all kinds are losing their bezels. Gigabyte's Aero 15 laptops have jumped on that trend, but without making any major cuts. The new machines pack considerable processing power, gaming capabilities, and the ability to connect an entire array of ultra-high-definition monitors.

Buyers can choose between a 1920×1080 IPS panel or a 3840×2160 screen. Either option comes with an anti-glare coating and is wrapped by top and side bezels measuring a scant 0.2" (5 mm). For now, all those pixels get their marching orders from a Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 6 GB graphics card, though a presumably-less-expensive option with Intel graphics will be available in the future.

Those thin bezels factor into the Aero 15's tidy 14.0" x 9.8" x 0.78" (36 cm x 25 cm x 2 cm) dimensions and 4.62 lbs (2.1 kg) weight. Even the supplied 150 W power adapter is pretty slim, measuring 6.6" x 2.5" x 0.87" (17 cm x 6.4 cm x 2.2 cm). Gigabyte still found a way to fit the Aero 15 with a 94 Wh battery, which the manufacturer says is good for 10 hours of productivity away from wall power.

For those times when even an eight-megapixel display isn't enough, a pair of 4K (3840×2160) monitors can be attached to the HDMI and DisplayPort jacks, and another pair of 5K monitors can plug into the Thunderbolt 3 ports. The screen isn't the only part of the Aero 15 that can dazzle the eyes, either. The keyboard has per-key programmable RGB LED backlighting.

The only CPU option is an Intel Kaby Lake Core i7-7700HQ. Systems ship with either 8 GB or 16 GB of DDR4 memory, upgradeable to a maximum of 32 GB. Making a lithe laptop body requires some compromises, and one of them is the storage. The Aero 15 has no room for any 2.5" drives and offers a single M.2 slot for SATA or NVMe devices. The placement of the webcam is likewise compromised somewhat—it's now mounted under the screen, akin to a Dell XPS 13.

Gigabyte's Aero 15 is available now exclusively at Newegg for $1900 with 16GB of RAM, a GeForce GTX 1060 6GB graphic card, and a 1080p IPS display. The machine comes in black, lime green, or orange finishes. Gigabyte offers two-year warranty coverage on the laptop.

• blahsaysblah

“anti-glare coating” AKA “shiny glass screen”. No price point is worth a glass screen.

• tipoo

The opposite. Looks like a non glass screen with a plastic antiglare layer. Matte screen would have been better for them to say since antiglare could also be glass with an AR layer like macbooks, you’re right there.

[url<]http://www.pcworld.com/article/3193686/gaming/hands-on-gigabytes-aero-15-pushes-gaming-laptop-to-new-limits.html[/url<]

• blahsaysblah

Hmm, if it was matte screen there would be no point in any anti-glare layer/AR coating… It must be glass with a matte/AG/AR coating on top. As long as it has a matte coating, some how, thats good enough. Thanks!

• ch┬Áck

The 14″ version is $200 less for the same specs O.O

• zqw

It ditches 10-key for an almost centered keyboard, and only trims 0.8in off of width (Depth/thickness match.) But, the camera is in the right spot!

• kamikaziechameleon

What an impressive machine indeed!

• brucek2

[quote<]The Aero 15 has no room for any 2.5" drives and offers a single M.2 slot for SATA or NVMe devices[/quote<] It's got two M.2 slots. (There's video of the internals in the review link someone pasted below, and the reviewer made a big deal of it because it's getting harder to find that second one in laptops of this size.) I was happy to see this because it means I can use the included SATA drive as a secondary storage unit and provide my own faster PCIe drive for the main boot drive.

• HERETIC

Careful with that happy thought-
      It’s all in the fine detail-most configurations I’ve come across with 2 M2 allow
      two SATA or one PCIe……………………………….

• brucek2

Thanks for the heads up! I’ve also now heard conflicting things about what the included drive is, SATA or PCIe. I’ll investigate once I have it in hand.

• tipoo

Looks pretty nice. I like this guys reviews –

[url<]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tpe_6ILN5k[/url<] Even keeps a 1060 cool in a space most would have a 1050.

• brucek2

Yep, I’ve been on the fence for a few weeks now trying to pick my next laptop, and this announcement + that review finally got me to click Purchase.

• Kretschmer

Subdued black styling, reasonable proportions, 1080P option, 1060, and reasonable battery life? Kudos, Gigabyte. I hope you’re a harbinger of the future.

• TwoEars

Now this is my kind of laptop. I was considering the Dell 15 XPS but this one might be even better.

• BoilerGamer

Yeah I have a 2017 XPS 15 and this one made me do a double take and consider selling the XPS. But it is about +$500 more expensive than a equivalent spec XPS 15 and you are paying the price difference for 1060 vs 1050. If it is your sole laptop it is probably worthwhile, but for me XPS 15 is the mobile workstation that do a little gaming on the road and 1050 is just fine for running games like Starcraft 2 and World of Warship. If I wanted something to play newest AAA title on the road I’d have gone with this Gigabyte.

The only thing I seriously miss with XPS15 compared to this is the 10key keyboard with numpad.

• Voldenuit

1080p IPS, GTX 1060, 8 GB baseline RAM (and upgradeable???).

Why can’t big OEMs get these basic specs right? I’m sure it won’t be perfect, but kudos to Gigabyte for ticking the right checkboxen.

• slowriot

I can’t search for upgradable memory on Newegg but in general there are a lot of models that meet your basic requirements there except maybe that one. Asus, Acer, MSI, Gigabyte, Lenovo, and Dell all have at least one model that fits the surface level requirements.

(On a side note… wow is HP behind the competition, truly awful offerings.)

• Kretschmer

Yes, but a lot of laptops with a 1060 are made with GAMERZ styling or weigh a ton. Kudos to Gigabyte.

• slowriot

Asus, Acer, MSI, and Gigabyte each offer near solid black minus a logo options in this category. They do also offer more GAMERZ styled ones, but this notion that there’s no minimalist styled ones is a myth.

Do you consider this to be too GAMERZ styled? [url<]https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA65C5MB0486[/url<]

• blahsaysblah

Not IPS, VA.

The Aero 14 looks like a nice piece of kit from existing reviews.

I’m in the market for a 15″ thin and light with a decent GPU, so I’ll be hoping these come over to the EU before too long!