Cheer for krazyredboy’s project in CM’s Case Mod World Series 2017

TR forumite krazyredboy has finally completed his simulator PC. The "case mod"—if it can even be called that—is his submission to the Cooler Master Case Mod World Series 2017 contest. He's finished up just in time, as submissions for the contest close tonight at 11:59 PM (GMT-11).

The finished version of the "Krazy Case" ended up a blue-and-white box with ample room for one person to sit inside and game with either mouse-and-keyboard or wheel-and-pedals. The player gets to enjoy 5.1 surround audio, a 75 Hz ultra-wide-screen display, and complete seclusion from the world around them. LED light strips provide a bit of interior illumination, and the "case" even has cup holders.

Bob has the whole adventure from start to finish catalogued here in the TR forums, and you can check out the dozens of pictures he's provided there. You can (and should) show your support for our krazyredboy over in his thread on the Cooler Master forums. Here's a pic of the gerbil himself inside the coffin case.

• ronch

Yabadabadoooo!!!!

Good luck in the competition.

I know you mentioned putting some thin (auto-style) carpeting on the inside – I’m guessing this would cut down the reflections. Any plans to do that at some point or did you abandon the idea?

• krazyredboy

Yeah, I had some microfiber that I was going to glue to the shiny stuff, but I simply ran out of time. I’m in the middle of a crazy work season, where multiple have been fired or quit and I’ve had to pick up the slack, so I’ve had zero time to myself. Then, with having to move out of my house by next Wednesday and having the deadline yesterday… it’s been a nightmare. I’m just glad I have a working project.

• Anovoca

finished project is looking great! Now if only Elon Musk could take note and build the interior of his self driving cars more like this, I might be inclined to go on more road trips.

• krazyredboy

Thanks. At least, Elon Musk has a proper shop and crew to make his stuff better… I wonder what his reasoning is?

• krazyredboy

Thank you, everyone, so much, again! It has been quite the journey.

• CuttinHobo

That’s awesome – nice work!

I just need to convince my boss to make you an offer. Being able to work “in complete seclusion” would take care of most of my workplace annoyances. 😀

• krazyredboy

Well… I may have the price for one, in the very near future. I’ve had enough interest in it, I may start building these to order.

• albundy

jeebuz h, that’s gotta be a hot oven in there! can’t he just watch pr0n in the house?

• krazyredboy

Actually, it’s quite cool. Two of the fans alone, have enough CFM to adequately cool the box, yet I have four of them. Also, the cooling for the computer itself is separate from the cabin. I haven’t had any issues with heat, yet.

• hungarianhc

Potentially dumb question, but it’s a serious one. How would the gaming experience inside a sealed box be better than at a nice big desk? I love to kick my feet out, spin around in the chair from time to time, maybe even stretch my arms out. This looks pretty cramped, and speakers in there wouldn’t be awesome so it looks like he’s going headphones, which you can use at a desk. In any case, I’m sure there are some major benefits that I’m missing out on. What are they?

• krazyredboy

Think about having kids… then think about putting them in a box that will keep them entertained for several hours… then think about how well that box is insulated from noise.

Maybe a date night is possible…
      Maybe you could take that afternoon nap in peace…
      Maybe you could focus on something else, in the newly granted silence that is the result of having those noisy children slip into the void of computer gaming, and succumb to their computer overlords at an early age…

Whose to say?

• davidbowser

I can vouch that at least 3 of my kids would LOVE this.

• Mr Bill

That looks like it was a lot of fun to build. Really well done!

• krazyredboy

Fun and exhausting at times. Thank you.

• bill94el

Beautiful work! …but, where’s the portable air conditioner. That would be like a sauna in my parts even with the venting in place.

• Mr Bill

I assume this would be situated in an air conditioned room.

• Captain Ned

Given the outdoor views in his main build thread, I’m assuming A/C exists. That said, the PC itself is in a separate chamber cooled by 2 fans sucking air from underneath and blowing it out the back, so that heat doesn’t dump into the enclosure. There are also 2 fans in each door moving air, as well as at least one in the footboard.

Now to find a ROM of the original vector graphics Star Wars game and have some real fun.

• krazyredboy

I may need to find that ROM and post a picture!

Nope, no AC needed. I live in Monterey, CA. Average temp is around 65. Winter gets to a blustery 40+… and summer… a scorching 79.

Actually, we had an 86 degree day, the other day, and I managed to sit in this thing (doing work from home, no less) for about an hour. It felt better than being in my house with my laptop.

• NoOne ButMe

As someone who has live in Sacramento for years… I wish for those temps.

• Redocbew

Seriously, wouldn’t the world be a better place if everyone had their own simulator PC?

• krazyredboy

Hence… why I built one!

Just think if I could get Oprah Winfrey on board!

“A Krazy Case for you!” “A Krazy Case for YOU!” “A Krazy Case for EVERYONE!!!”

• superjawes

You are one [s<]crazy[/s<] [b<]k[/b<]razy red boy, and I salute you.

• krazyredboy

Thanks. I like to believe so… against my Dr.’s better wishes…

• drfish

Ok, you win.

• krazyredboy

Honestly, I’m just happy being noticed. Thank you, though.