Intel 15.45 graphics drivers pick up a Warhammer

We cover new driver releases from AMD and Nvidia a few times per month, and review graphics cards bearing their chips on a pretty regular basis. It can be easy to forget that the lion's share of PC displays get their marching orders from the pixel pushers integrated into Intel's ubiquitous mobile and desktop CPUs. The graphics driver update du jour comes from the bunnysuits at Santa Clara and packs support for a couple of new games and fixes for a handful of problems. The Intel Graphics Driver for Windows version 15.45 is out now for the 64-bit flavors of Windows 10 and Windows 7.

The driver promises improved performance for Intel Iris graphics processors in Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War III and Titanfall 2. Some graphical anomalies should now be gone when playing the pre-alpha of Unreal Tournament or Doom under the Vulkan API, too

The release notes also say the new version corrects a problem that would deny a user access to the Steam folder. Intel says that applications should no longer move to the primary monitor after waking from sleep when third-party display EDID overrides are enabled. Streaming 4K Netflix requires a heap of hoop-jumping on PCs, but Kaby Lake systems that meet all the DRM requirements should use a little bit less power when binge-watching Lady Dynamite. Scrolling through a browser window when it's streaming a video should no longer cause screen flicker, too.

Eager gerbils can proceed directly to Intel's driver download page. The timid ones can check out the release notes before setting these bits loose upon their systems.

• Krogoth

BY THE EMPEROR! SUCH HERESY! BURN IT ALL!

• Waco

It’s too bad DoW III is such a disappointment. 🙁

• DPete27

Really? Shoot. I was kinda looking forward to getting it.

• Waco

I haven’t played and I like won’t buy it now, but I liked DoW II (+ expansion) for the storyline and single-player and coop experience. Last stand was a nice touch that extended the life of the game dramatically as well. DoW III’s campaign is 3 races, rotating per mission (WHO THOUGHT THAT WAS SMART), and only 17 missions long. That’s not even 6 per race. Oh hells no.

Multiplayer? It’s toxic, just like DoW I and DoW II was…and I have zero interest in that.

• CuttinHobo

That’s disappointing to hear. I’ll still get it when the price comes down, though. Hopefully a complete edition with expansions will have enough missions to satisfy.

I love the first one and its expansions, and I’m currently playing through 2 for the first time. I’m enjoying it, but I miss building up my base.

• rechicero

If you are playing 2, you might want to play the basic game from Chaos Rising. They change the starting points in several misions and even if it looks like nothing, I remember it seemed like a whole new game to me.

And last stand is still really fun (but difficult to play, not too many ppl playing :-()

• CuttinHobo

I’m nearly done with the first campaign and will play Chaos Rising next. Could you elaborate on the changed starting points?

I don’t have the right play style for online RTS matches, so Last Stand doesn’t affect me. 🙂

• Waco

I actually enjoy the squad pseudo-RPG style gameplay of the second game more than the first. Perhaps I’m an odd duck. 🙂

• CuttinHobo

Sometimes I do love the squad play style – Mech Commander, for example, but part of that was fooling around with the weapon loadouts. DoW 2 has that element to some extent but it leaves something to be desired. Decent upgrades are feast-and-famine, and right now I’m at the end of the game but it seems like half the items I’m picking up are gray quality. In my last mission I looted *5* gray Dreadnaught armors. I haven’t even seriously tried the Dreadnaught because I want him to be ranged but no cannons are dropping. I don’t want a slow melee squad… My commander charges in, and terminator Thaddeus is instantly in the fray.

I’m enjoying the game, but it also irks me. 🙂

• Waco

To be fair, it did launch 8 years ago. 🙂

I was hoping DoW III would be DoW II on steroids with better balance, weapon/armor options, and races. Oh well.

MechCommander…man, I haven’t played that in ages. I remember spending a hellacious amount of time head-shotting the MadCat from one of the early missions then roflstomping everything after that. PPC TO THE FACE!

• CuttinHobo

And Mech Commander is nearing its 20th birthday. It has a job and significant other, while DoW2 is still playing with Hot Wheels and poking bugs with a stick. 😀

Hah! Yes! I remember that… That game brought me a ridiculous amount of fun. I recall a few missions where I went heavy on the flamers with small, fast Mechs and just overheated everything in my way. Ah, memories. 🙂

• DPete27

I enjoyed DOW2 Retribution and DOW2 Chaos Rising very much.

• CuttinHobo

I’m looking forward to Chaos Rising. I’m nearly there and I’ve read it’s a good campaign despite not having very many missions. 🙂

• chuckula

Good job Intel. You can finally display the splash screen on Warhammer.
    One of these years maybe you’ll be able to get to the start menu too. Baby steps.

• ImSpartacus

Yeah, everyone else is releasing drivers for Prey and Intel is bragging that they’ve improved performance on warhammer and titanfall 2.

• Waco

DoW III just released, you know.

• Bumper

Intel igp have come a long way. I can actually do some very light gaming on my skylake laptop. I do wish they would have more driver focus, but it has gotten a lot better. At least some games work now. Dota2 and bioshock (the original) run well enough. I tried Far Cry 2 and it had a number of glitches though, even with good fps :-(.

Is driver technology not part of the nvidia intel licensing agreement?

• tipoo

I think it may be a dead GPU, but I would have been curious to see the Iris Pro Kaby Lake model in benchmarks. Right now it looks like they’re only doing Iris Plus with less EUs and eDRAM.