Deepcool Captain EX RGB cooler has full command of light

Deepcool is at it again with its funky-looking liquid cooling pump-and-block combos. Nary a month after showing the refined Captain EX cooler to the world, the company's now taken that all-important step for popularizing a product: adding RGB LED lighting. Say hello to the Deepcool Captain EX RGB closed-loop liquid cooler.

Whereas the regular Captain EX is clad in a black-and-red finish, the RGB edition goes for an entirely-black look. That is, until you turn on the blinkenlights. Deepcool integrated an RGB LED strip into the waterblock itself, making it look like something belonging in the chest of a robot in a mecha anime—not a bad look at all. The waterblock is attached to a wired remote control with mode, speed, and brightness switches. If you prefer controlling your lights with software, Deepcool throws an RGB control header in the box that's compatible with Asus' Aura Sync.

The Deepcool Captain EX will command PCs in June. It'll be available with two radiator sizes and price tags: $100 for the 120-mm model, and $130 for the bigger 240-mm unit.

• ronch

OK, this is a bit off topic but the other day I opened up my PC to do some long overdue spring cleaning (or a hasty one) and I tried to remove the Deepcool Gammax 400 tower cooler on my FX-8350 to renew the thermal paste application, which I last did in January of 2014. Thing is though, I just couldn’t take it off. I think Deepcool just didn’t design the darn thing to come off easy enough if you wanted it to. I kinda wish I got a CM Hyper 212 Evo instead. Yes I know this could just be an issue with my particular model but still.

• krazyredboy

I thought Captain Deepcool would have been better…

• DragonDaddyBear

I’m not a fan of all this RGB stuff but the inner teenager in me sees the appeal of a fully color and light matched system. Reminds me when I had a liquid cooled system with UV reactive coolant and “black lights.” I received many a complements when they saw it. Now they ask where my system is hiding (cabinet with ventilation).

• Srsly_Bro

Compliments*

The light complements your​ uv reactive coolant.

I don’t compliment your homonym knowledge.

You’re welcome, bro.

• DragonDaddyBear

FireFox needs to add a grammar check. Or English could be less uselessly complex. Or I could just learn to English properly since the only language I know. Thanks for the tip. I’ll try to not embarrass myself again.

• morphine

[quote<]Or English could be less uselessly complex[/quote<] Can I subscribe to your newsletter? Signed, TR Editor.

• Voldenuit

[quote<] Or English could be less uselessly complex.[/quote<] Double plus good.

• titan

• Blytz

Yes (to the no)

Also, why the hell can’t I find a decent cooler for a Ryzen that isn’t nearly 1/2 the price of the chip