Poll: How do you enjoy streaming?

The public broadcasting of gaming through Twitch, YouTube, and other streaming services has captured the attention of hundreds of millions of viewers across the globe. Twitch alone claims to have had 1.5 million broadcasters and 100 million visitors per month as of 2015, and those numbers have certainly grown with time. Many streamers have even been able to make a living broadcasting part-time or full-time, thanks to Twitch's paid subscriber system.

That rise is partially thanks to the parallel explosion of interest in e-sports titles like Dota 2, League of Legends, and Counter-Strike: Global Offensive. Of course, one doesn't have to be a superstar athlete to get in on the fun. Any gamer with a reasonably powerful computer these days can get on Twitch in a couple of clicks with tools like Open Broadcaster Software, Nvidia's Share app, and AMD's ReLive.

Given the recent discussion around streaming and stream quality with various CPUs, we figured it'd be fun to find out how many of our readers have taken the plunge and put their gaming skills (or lack thereof) on display for the world. Even if you don't broadcast your exploits, we figure many of our readers consume streams, too. Tell us about your streaming habits using the options in the poll below.

• Aranarth

I’d rather be PLAYING THE GAME.

• cynan

The real question is: Do cheesemaker androids stream electric cheese?

• jihadjoe

Occasionally watch, but only tournaments or the really good players. Much like watching sports on TV the appeal is seeing the game played at a very high level.

I don’t get the appeal of those personalities who base their stream on being completely average skill-wise while making silly reactions for the crowd.

• DeadOfKnight

I stream videos of myself picking my nose every Friday at 8. This week I had a nosebleed, so it’s going to be a good one; don’t miss it!

• David

Yeesh. The poll and responses really show how much of an “old man” everyone here is. The harsh judgement is kind of sad, but also funny considering the context of this site and your jobs.

While I prefer edited “Let’s Play” style videos, there are some good Twitch streamers out there.

• shaq_mobile

I really enjoy youtube gaming streams of CSGO and sometimes Dota. Being able to ACTUALLY pause (twitch pause = video mute, since you can’t really resume where you left off), is a massive bonus. Makes it easier to turn on at work and leave in the background, only to switch over and checkout some crazy ace or something and rewind if necessary.

Most of the individual streamers are too mediocre, irritating, or just attractive women with little draw other than beauty. One of the bright spots of streaming is being able to interact with the smaller streamers. It’s cool to open up conversation with people who are pro at certain games and pick their brain.

I think it’s just a budding industry that will bring us a massive variety in both news and entertainment. Because it’s so new, there’s a lot of talent or formats that go unnoticed because they just don’t appear on the front page.

• albundy

i enjoy my streaming with fish in it.

• End User

I game. That’s it.

• travbrad

I don’t watch much but when I do it’s mostly to check out what new games are actually like to play since trailers generally tell you nothing.

• TravelMug

If “I’m content to hang out and watch” means that if I watch than I watch people’s recorded gameplay on Youtube (not live) then I voted correctly.

• rwburnham

A friend of mine once invited me onto his Twitch broadcast to play terrible video games and complain about them in an effort to raise money for charity. We not only raised money, but we realized that most Atari games do not hold up well.

• Ninjitsu

I watch extremely limited streams on Twitch (like Eugen System’s Steel Division stuff). Otherwise it’s mostly regular YT , rare occasions live YT.

But no, I don’t have a twitch account.

• srg86

Never saw the point, then again, I have no interest in gaming.

I don’t understand the point of live streams unless it’s a tournament match for spectators. Watching live streams like this is akin to turning up to a big game at a stadium and enjoying the performance. Watching most live streams is like watching someone’s training session or practice session. Half the time it’s not even a game, it’s just people messing about doing nothing in particular!

I’d much rather watch a Youtube video that has been edited for brevity, clarity and is tagged/titled/categorised specifically to match what I’m looking for.

• DPete27

[quote<]I'd much rather watch a Youtube video that has been edited for brevity, clarity and is tagged/titled/categorised specifically to match what I'm looking for.[/quote<] +This Get to the point. Teach me something I need to know and be done. Then I can get back to playing. I never had an interest in sitting watching someone play a computer game. Much less interest in their nerdy banter while doing it. I've tried watching a few of the televised e-sports tournaments, but they get boring quickly. With a newborn now, I have even less time to play games, so I need tutorials that are short and concise.

• Shobai

I’ve got to admit, I only have a Twitch account because I’m a sucker for those gleam.io giveaways =P

In the early days of StarCraft II, I watched Day[9] on YouTube trying to figure out how to get better. It made a difference, too, because I went from a Bronze league hero to Platinum in the course of a month or so. I peaked at Diamond and then I stopped playing online for a long time.

At any rate, when he quit doing StarCraft stuff, I quit watching outside of tournaments. I’ve tried to watch some of the StarCraft announcers who stream, but it’s just not interesting to watch them play and some of their personalities put me off.

When Day[9] makes Brood War content this summer after StarCraft Remastered comes out, I’ll go back to those. I was never as good at BW as I was at SC2.

• EzioAs

I subscribe to Lowko on YouTube. He’s got a really cheery personality and he’s quite humble. He played the campaign missions, plays every new coop and mutation missions, ranked, he coaches and gives tips and also cast professional and lower league games. I’m pretty sure he’s also going to play SC: Remastered once it comes out.

However, on professional matches, I really like games cast by RotterdaM and ToD.

• Dysthymia

I needed an “I stream occasionally but never watch” option.

• Unknown-Error

Twitch? As in the muscle contraction?

• ptsant

When I was into highly competitive gaming I used to watch several matches per week. That’s the only way to get better, really. After several hundred hours of playing you either do the extra mile (study the mechanics of the game, read forums, see videos) or stagnate. You just can’t out-invent everyone on your own and fast button pushing is not enough.

All that being said, I would probably stream a lot if I played competitively today. The videos can be used for after-game discussion and analysis and the procedure is now so easy and painless…

• Kretschmer

I watch Youtube videos of specific games to learn how to play them better (e.g. Purge/DOTA2). The only game I watch esports of is DOTA2, and you can do that right in the client/engine.

No personal interest in streaming. No interest in the “Twitch Meme” culture.

• bfar

It’s hard to find a gameplay video even on YouTube these days without some narcissistic voiceover. I guess it’s a sign of the times.

I like the streams but I hate the talking.

• EzioAs

Look into gameplay/streams by Extra Play (the second channel of Extra Credits) and Dark Pixel Gaming on YouTube. They’re not about snarky remarks or anything similar, mostly trying to enjoy what the game has and the story/design behind it.

• rechicero

Calling “athlete” to a guy who sits and play videogame doesn’t feel funny? The “e”sports thing is funny enough (if the doctor tells you to practice some sport I’m pretty sure they doesn’t mean Overwatch or LoL) but calling the players athletes… XD

• willmore

If I don’t consider golf a sport, I don’t see how I can take esports seriously either, so point to you.

• Krogoth

eSports is kinda of a joke though. It is really just a newer version of board and card tournaments.

• NTMBK

Where’s the “Get off my damn lawn!” option?

• LostCat

*twitch* *twitch* what *drinks more caffeine at 3AM*

• Krogoth

Don’t cross the streams

• K-L-Waster

Even for marshmallows?

• Krogoth

[url<]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-sALU_hveA[/url<]

• Peter.Parker

Naked

• K-L-Waster

While watching or on screen?

• Peter.Parker

• Pwnstar

Anyone here watch LIRIK stream?

• f0d

no matter how much i try i have never actually liked watching anyone else play games – its way more fun to spend that time playing them

then again i have never liked watching any sport either – i would rather be playing than watching

my opinions on this have confused many (especially my footy playing mates) so i doubt hardly anyone is similar to me

• CScottG

Well.. in my youth, my stream was pretty good – I could stand back about a couple of meters without any real problem and a constant stream.

Now however it’s like drive-home traffic: Stop. Go. Stop. Go.. and I’m lucky if it’s half a meter in distance.

• NovusBogus

I find that beer is highly conducive to good streaming quality.

• juzz86

Was waiting. Did not disappoint!

🙂

• XorCist

I use Twitch to watch almost every Dota2 tournament. Streamlink makes Twitch much more inviting, because it removes the chat garbage, and you can use VLC, or Media Player Classic, and the quality is alot better.

I tried streaming, but I don’t have enough time to do it to create any kind of following. I got a couple viewers, but nothing substantial. Plus with my Comcast limit of 1TB per month, definitely put a halt to that plan.

• MOSFET

Twitch is the one site explicitly blocked both inbound and outbound at my work, by me. Can’t have new-age employees wasting hours. And once you get home from work, who the hell has the time to learn a game, learn its controls, get good enough at it to warrant ‘broadcasting’, and have enough fake online friends to captivate ‘friends’ with your ‘skills’? I guess my priorities have shifted as I age – actually those never were my priorities.

• Bensam123

Wow… Good thing you didn’t block Facebook or Youtube.

I’ve never heard such a elitist cry of ‘get off my lawn’ in my entire life.

• Redocbew

Facebook and Youtube have value to a lot of companies not associated with technology these days. Twitch, not so much.

• DrCR

More like ‘my lawn, my rules’, and understandably so for most business re Twitch.

• cygnus1

I have a twitch account from when we used to have nice things like TR live broadcasts…

• f0d

i miss the TR videos and podcasts 🙁

• willmore

I tried once, a long time ago when twitch was young, to watch a live game–and to see what all the fuss was about.

Between the streaming software being horrid and the poor video quality as well as the fast paced and hard to understand game, there were the the constant stream of seemingly non-game related profanity in the comments. I didn’t quite see what I was supposed to enjoy about it.

Maybe if the UI hadn’t been such crap and I could have found a game I was familiar with and there had been a way to shut off the comment stream, then, maybe it wouldn’t have made me felt like I needed to gargle bleach afterwards.

I haven’t gone back to try it again. I found something better. It’s called *playing* games. It’s fun. You can even do it with other people.

• The Egg

My only regret is that I have but 3 upvotes to give.

• Meadows

Twitch appears to have changed since. Chat can be hidden but it’s moderated to begin with, and many capable streamers (and virtually all of the professional gaming channels) broadcast 1080p at 60 fps now.

I watch Heroes of the Storm from time to time.

• EzioAs

Not really a regular in Twitch but I do enjoy watching certain channels I subscribe to playing games I’m interested in or have played on YouTube. However, most often I don’t watch the stream live but rather the fully recorded version.

On the other hand, I do want to dabble in giving out tips, tutorials and guides on games I played not to make money, but just to have some fun and see if it could lead to interesting discussion. Thing is, I do need better PC specs, more storage, better microphone and better internet subscription if I wanted it to record, edit and upload smoothly.

• yogibbear

What’s great is that Twitch has not just the DOTA 2 Majors and what not, or your hilariously incompetent gamers that are mildly amusing, but also other weird and awesome stuff like FFG’s World’s were on this week so I got to watch some X-Wing and Armada Tabletop stuff that was bloody brilliant.

The other great thing is that in the age of demo-less PC releases, Twitch is a god send as you can fire it up, find one of the 100 people streaming a game on launch day or the day prior (I hate the early twitch release BS) and see if it runs OK, see what the actual gameplay is like rather than the BS marketing department fed review articles floating around and decide if the game is for you.

• drfish

So, I watch a couple specific streamers. And that’s it. I have no desire to watch random-streamer-x but if something or another leads me to an individual, I can enjoy watching them live just as much, or more than, TV, sports, movies, etc. I mean, why not? Entertainment is entertainment.

The most important thing is the personality of streamer, I don’t want a morning show goofball, but I like watching the kind of person that, well, I could hang out with at a BBQ or something. Nail that, and it doesn’t matter what game they play, even if it’s one I wouldn’t play myself.

Second, the community around the streamer is pretty critical. If the chat isn’t a positive contribution to the stream, then the entire stream is probably a bust. This is where streaming can really come out ahead of other things you can watch. Interaction. It’s also why I’m much less likely to watch an old stream vs. live. If I want to watch game play that isn’t live, I’ll watch an edited video on YouTube.

For anyone that doesn’t “get” watching streams, I hope my thoughts are at least interesting.

• ChicagoDave

I have never and don’t ever see myself streaming gameplay to others. I simply don’t see a reason to, unless I were recording something for a guide/walkthrough or similar (basically not live streaming, just recording).

On the viewing side, basically the same. I’ve never watched a twitch stream or any other live stream of gaming. I do watch live concert streams (Phish New Years!) and I stream European soccer matches since I cut the cord (use my dad’s DirectTV login, shh). Previously recorded video like Netflix and YouTube I watch fairly regularly.

I think I’m just too old and missed the whole “record my life every second” thing. Whether it’s Facebook and Instgram, or Periscope and Twitch….I just don’t need (or want) to have others watching me. And while I understand why some people like to watch pro gamers play, it’s simply not something I’d ever want to do for more than a few moments. It’s been compared to watching any other professional sport, and I get that, but it’s just not my cuppa tea.

• Voldenuit

Having someone on my team who was streaming has come in useful at least several times when reporting players who were blatantly cheating in Overwatch.

• slowriot

Most of the audience on Twitch are not watching eSports events. I’d say the majority of Twitch streamers are appealing to their audience more akin to how a radio or talk show host or reality TV star appeals than a pro athlete. There’s far more direct interaction between the audience and stream host versus traditional TV/radio as well.

Obviously eSports plays a role but its really not what’s driving Twitch or game streaming in general.

• oldog

At my age I use Flowmax to maximize streaming.

• Redocbew

Best post ever.

• chuckula

Looked for Netflix option since this is about streaming.
    Then read rest of the story.
    Moving along now.

• brucethemoose

I don’t have the upload bandwidth to stream :(. Thanks AT&T.

Even if I did, the vast majority of streams appear to have 0 viewers anyway. Seems like you’re just broadcasting into the void unless you’re a YouTube star, and I don’t really see the appeal in that.

• Takeshi7

I record most of my PS4 gameplay to YouTube. Just so I have it for later and also with a goal to fill up their servers. I couldn’t tell you how many hours (days) worth of footage I have saved so far, but it’s a lot.

I also used to stream 24/7 Bomberman bot battles, but I disconnected that computer. Maybe I’ll restart if I set it up again.

• Anovoca

I own twitch only because I owned Curse, which has now been bought by and turned into twitch.

• Waco

Nope. Don’t have a Twitch account, don’t plan to get one. Don’t watch streams either – don’t see much of a point.

Highlight reels on Youtube, funny glitches, etc, sure – but not live.

• Voldenuit

I rarely (if ever) watch live streams, but will sometimes watch youtube videos of streams, highlight reels, gameplay tips, and pro matches. I do follow the evolving meta and strategies for Overwatch and Heroes of the Storm semi-regularly on youtube.

• odizzido

I almost never watch stream stuff. I will sometimes watch some stuff on space engineers if the devs are on and I am not doing much. That’s it really. I probably watch an hour or two of streams per year.

I do broadcast more often, but it’s almost always to show someone something in particular and I do not look for subscribers or advertise. I estimate I broadcast for about 10hrs a year.

Still, I had to vote I mostly broadcast and watch others a bit because that’s true. But the truth is twitch is an extremely small part of what I do and I don’t even use it in the way the majority do.

• superjawes

The cheesemaking seems like a joke, but I’d watch a live cooking stream.

• thor84no

People have enjoyed cooking shows for decades already. I see no reason why they wouldn’t continue to do so through new media.

• superjawes

Yeah, but new media can have real-time audience participation. If nothing else, having immediate answers to questions would make streaming a great fit for a cooking show.

• K-L-Waster

“And Biscotti92 is asking why I didn’t coddle the eggs first… simple answer, because I’m an idiot and I forgot.”

• JMccovery

Ooh, like a modern day Justin Wilson!

• David

We’re just gonna add a good bit’a wine to it.

• willmore

There’s a good couple of episode sequence in the anime “Silver Spoon” about cheese making. 😉