Opera browser is Reborn with integrated messaging

The lion's share of browser coverage around here seems to go to Google Chrome and Microsoft Edge, with a hyena's helping left over for Mozilla Firefox. A meager market share never stopped the developers at Opera from throwing new features at the wall and seeing what sticks, though. The last round of feature additions included integrated VPN service and ad-blocking functionality. This time, the company has relaunched its flagship browser as Opera Reborn with baked-in support for a smattering of messaging apps.

The messaging integration was first demonstrated in Opera's Neon "concept" browser introduced in January. Neon and Opera Reborn offer users the ability to transition back and forth between web browsing and messaging. The browser supports Facebook Messenger, WhatsApp, and Telegram. The three platforms can be selectively disabled, and keyboard shortcuts are provided for switching between them.

Messaging isn't the only new feature in Opera Reborn, though. The browser includes two interface color themes, light and dark. The window background wallpaper is also customizable. Opera says the whole interface has been refreshed with a focus on consistency across platforms. The built-in ad blocker has extra block list management options and automatically reloads a page when blocking is toggled, too. The company also claims that the new release uses GPU decoding for more web video formats than before.

For further information and download links, check out Opera's Reborn blog post.

• Shouefref

Latest: people using Opera switched to Vivaldi, together with some of the previous Opera team.

• Shobai

I know there is a distinction between TR reporting on a product and users suggesting a product, but it does seem odd that ad-blocking receives such a call out here but anyone who mentions an ad-blocking extension receives censure…

• Shouefref

I actually don’t have a problem with adds on website. I do have a problem with pop up adds.
      I also have a problem with targeted advertising using my personal details to show adds.
      All in all targeted ads are very stupid: I guess that if I visit a site on computers, it’s logical that I’m interested in computers. So what’s the use of targeted ad’s? Targeted ads are a scam.

• UberGerbil

Yes, but what about that spherical chessboard feature?

• End User

Good grief! If you are using Edge you should hold your head down in shame!

• DPete27

Why?

• DrCR

Too edgy for you?

• LostCat

What if I want to hold my head up in shame?

(I’m not using Edge, but only because of one web game. It’s an excellent browser, especially after the Creators Update.)

• adamlongwalker

first there is this:

[url<]http://www.geek.com/apps/chinese-antivirus-cheats-offer-1-2-billion-to-buy-opera-software-1646891/[/url<] Then this. [url<]https://techcrunch.com/2016/07/18/opera-renegotiates-its-1-2b-sale-down-to-600m-for-browser-privacy-apps-chinese-jv/[/url<] I'm going to try soon this built by former Opera Dev's [url<]https://vivaldi.com/[/url<]

• Neutronbeam

Vivaldi is pretty good; a few folks around here use it, and it has lots of settings for power users; I’m a fan.

• Voldenuit

Yep Vivaldi for me. Plus, it accepts chrome extensions. RIP Opera 12 /sad music.

• rnalsation

Vivaldi here too. Dropped Opera as soon as the buyout was hinted at. Any company associated with Qihoo 360 can go away. [url<]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qihoo_360[/url<]

• brucethemoose

+1, love Vivaldi so far.

Only issue is that it’s an obscure browser. So some streaming sites, Yahoo Mail etc will claim it’s “unsupported” even though it’s just Chrome underneath.

• NovusBogus

Count me in the Vivaldi camp. AFAIK It uses Chromium, which I don’t particularly care for, but at least it’s going for a slightly different look and feel than Chrome and its foxy little remora.

• meerkt

Vivaldi really needs to do something with its ugly looks.
      They’re not Microsoft, so why not make it presentable?

• rnalsation

What part of the looks do you hate? You can change the color of the interface and even turn on corner rounding on many of the square elements.

• meerkt

All of it. Icons, flatness, plainness. Rounded corners was added recently, I think?

They managed to take something that’s minimal to begin with — browser UI — and make it ugly. The Windows 10 of browsers. 🙂

• Kougar

Functionality over cosmetics. They can sort out the appearance later, I use it now because you can fully customize the layout in addition to removing or adding most UI elements.

It’s also nice to not be using the same bookmarks schema IE was using 15 years ago. Opera innovated features and functionality when Tetzchner founded and was leading development, and now he is doing the same with Vivaldi. Given the large array of skins and features Opera eventually developed (and later scrapped when he left) I expect Vivaldi will get the same treatment in a few years

• meerkt

True in general, but not at the extremes. Also: a decent looks is easy to do, and the way it currently is may drive away casual users.

PS: It’s been a year since v1.0, and two years since the early public alphas/betas.

• Philldoe

Just go ahead and install it. I’ve been using it sine the beta days and it’s become my only web browser.

• Vinceant

I was a long time IE user. Chromes lack of decent UI and Operas totally foreign UI drove me nuts. Edge is like a stripped down not as good version of Chrome, somehow with even less options. It also just straight up doesn’t work half the time. So with IE slowly dying (Sad, sad day. D:) I was in search of a good browser.

I switched to Vivaldi a few months ago and aside from a couple minor quirks I love it. Chrome extensions work so Enpass, Lastpass, etc. all work with it. Pretty stable. Tons of options. You can tune it how you like. Best power user browser out there.