Three flavors of Linux are coming to Windows Store

One of the highlights of Microsoft's Build conference last year was the announcement of an Ubuntu-based Linux subsystem for Windows 10. The company's recent announcement of Windows 10 S and its Store-bound app installation left many wondering if the Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL) would be present in the new version of the operating system. Microsoft yesterday cleared that right up and announced that WSL installations based on Fedora, SuSE, and Ubuntu will all offered in the Windows Store.

Microsoft is pitching Windows S as a competitor for Chromebooks in the education sector. Computer science and other technology-related programs in universities around the globe usually make varying use of Linux as part of their curricula. Chromebooks offer limited Linux command-line capabilities through a built-in terminal application, and whole-hog Linux VMs are relatively easy to install using tools like Crouton. As a university student, I used a Chromebook with Crouton almost exclusively.

The ability to download WSL distributions through the Windows Store should be a bit less complicated than the current method. Users will be able to install one, two, or all three Linux distributions as needed. Up to this point, Ubuntu was the only option. Users will also get the ability to install the WSL distributions to drives other than the primary system drive.

The availability and continued support of WSL in Windows 10 S bolsters that operating system's credentials for use in education settings. Microsoft promises that educational buyers who have a need for the capabilities of a full-fat Windows installation will be able to upgrade to Windows 10 Pro for no charge. Other Windows 10 S system owners must pay $50 for the same upgrade. It appears that links, w3c, and other text-mode browsers might end up easier to install on Windows 10 S than Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox.

• Wonders

[quote=”Wayniac Mansion”<]curricula[/quote<] A sub-continent chuckula.

• chuckula

I prefer an archipelago.

• DrDominodog51

A gulag archipelago perhaps?

• Krogoth

[url<]https://youtu.be/CpFdP5yATw0[/url<]

• adamlongwalker

Windows 10S is a closed system. You can only get programs from their store.

[url<]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlWwIBwExaI[/url<]

• LostCat

Good thing these are in the store then.

• VincentHanna

Who cares what MSFT does to their RT arm?

Use Pro.

• Shambles

Awesome. Now I can use Linux without having to worry about not being infected by malware or having some sense of privacy.

• jihadjoe

lol

• BIF

That’s called a “feature”. 😉

• lycium

Exactly this. It’s really great that there’s basically a full Linux in there now, but damnit what I most want from Linux is the damn Windows Update and telemetry shenanigans gone!

If we could have stayed at Windows 7, I would gladly stay with Microsoft indefinitely. As it is now, just Update and the nonstop telemetry / background crap is pushing me out to Linux.

• ptsant

And thus the linux desktop is swallowed by Windows.

• cheesyking

nah, I reckon next year MS will be announcing Windows is switching to vanilla Gnome3.

• Unknown-Error

Wait, what?! Did I hear that right?

Over 15 years ago during my academic years, if some said Microsoft was going allow the sale of Linux in one of it nearby stores people would have sent you to the nearest psych ward.

• LostCat

No. The Windows Store is a software component built into Windows 10 (and 8.)

• DancinJack

lol

Honestly no, you didn’t hear any of that right. Reread the article.

• jihadjoe

Linus Torvalds [url=http://www.linux-magazine.com/Online/News/Linus-Torvalds-Windows-7-Rocks<]recommends Windows 7[/url<]. It totally rocks!

• DragonDaddyBear

I went through an intense pass of hating Microsoft for a number of reasons. I still wish Linux was a more popular platform but I’m finding my hatred of Microsoft waning. Then they go and do this. Stop screwing with me, Microsoft!

• edwpang

When MSFT can support 32 bit code?

[url<]https://wpdev.uservoice.com/forums/266908-command-prompt-console-bash-on-ubuntu-on-windo/suggestions/13377507-please-add-32-bit-elf-support-to-the-kernel[/url<] They still do not have plan to support it though it's among top 10 of user requests.

• cygnus1

What 32 bit binaries are people wanting to run that would need this?

• davidbowser

From a business perspective, I am guessing it is for old COTS or custom (lost source) software.

I am no longer surprised by how often this happens. There are only so many times you can ask, “Why are you doing that?” and get the answer, “Because that’s the way we have always done it.” before you simply stop asking.

• BIF

That’s when I say “let’s find a better way to do this before (insert director’s or VP’s name here) finds out about this, and then we can make it into a good thing for performance review time.”

“That’s the way we’ve always done it” can only hurt you at my employer, unless it is accompanied by some options.

• Saribro

A lot of toolchains for embedded software are distributed as 32bit binaries only.
        It’s really annoying.

I ran into this exact problem yesterday at work while I was testing whether we could get our build system moved to WSL.

• BIF

Shaming is a valid technique. Apply liberally, rinse, then repeat.

• Laykun

Wine

• willmore

So, Windows is only good for launching Linux VMs? How about we just cut out the middle man here.

• blahsaysblah

WSL is not a VM. Its an abstraction/mapping layer of linux kernel to windows kernel. It is not 100% complete either. Too many edge cases. You end up needing Win 10 Pro for free Hyper-V to run actual Linux VMs.

Unless you want another voodoo layer added to your debugging layers.

• LauRoman

I’m still not sure what WSSL is. Is it more like Cygwin or like Wine, because it’s definitely not a VM or an emulation.

• Klimax

Neither:
          [url<]https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/wsl/2016/04/22/windows-subsystem-for-linux-overview/[/url<] Also I suggest reading other posts on that blog, a lot of information is there about whole WSL.

• blahsaysblah

Definitely not Cygwin, you are installing and running actual/exact same Ubuntu packages and binaries. These are not recompiled as win32 executables.

It mostly works, but not if you want to develop for Linux production environment(app that runs on linux server) versus just use Linux as your environment.

• sweatshopking

You can also do complete iOS development on windows now. A mac is only required to submit to the app store.

• Redocbew

That’s actually pretty cool. It might save me from having to buy a macbook at some point just to have a dev box.

• DancinJack

I’d still suggest having a macOS device tbh. It’s just so much easier.

• sweatshopking

You’ve used the new studio? What makes it easier?

• Ninjitsu

it’s a mac, duh, ez

Visual Studio 17 on macOS is a joke. Unstable and full of memory leaks. Sure it’s a preview but it’s just awful. I’m doing my Xamarin work on Windows and testing on the iOS simulator via the Visual Studio Xamarin remote tools.

I tried VS17 and after around 90 minutes of edit/compile/test it would consume around 6GB of memory. The same project loaded fresh and run once in the simulator takes less than a GB. It just grows and grows and becomes unresponsive until you kill it and start again.

• cygnus1

Getting MacOS running in VMWare Player on Windows is really a lot easier than you’d imagine. And it’s free.

As someone who has multiple friends who have written for iOS and had to buy a Mac to develop on, I can imagine the collective rejoicing.

• spiketheaardvark

Many of the tools for bioinfomatics, like sequencing analysis, use python packages that depend on linux libraries. WSL has saved me from having to swallow my pride and get a mac. I feel like a rebel with my ASUS laptop in a sea of macbook pros. It’s really done everything I could ask of it. I’ve even run shell scripts that switch in between powershell and bash during a task. There are some quirks and I can’t use an IDE (without some hackery that i’m not in the mood for. it’s surely the most requested feture and Microsoft has indicated they plan on adding the needed support).
      I’m sure it drives the Linux purists nuts but it’s one of the smartest things Microsoft has done in years

• chuckula

YOU’RE STILL HERE!

• sweatshopking

i come by once in a while. Not terribly often as I find the site covers less as well as it did historically. I don’t often log in, and post even less.