AMD Vega GPUs will arrive next month

The news continues to flow out of AMD's Financial Analyst Day this afternoon. During his presentation about the Zen core and the company's future product roadmaps, AMD CTO Mark Papermaster confirmed that the company's Vega-powered products will arrive "in June."

Papermaster didn't offer any further details of Vega-powered products, but we know that Vega will power the Radeon Instinct MI25 accelerator and at least one RX Vega graphics card. In any case, Vega-powered graphics cards and accelerators can't come quickly enough. We're excited to see what AMD releases as June rolls around.

• beck2448

Some from the conference are saying actual retail availability
    of gaming cards in October. That’s getting very close to Volta.

• ImSpartacus

Yeah, with rumors of GV104 in Q3, Vega could barely arrive before its main competitor becomes a smaller ~180W killer of a chip.

I’m interested in seeing how both AMD and Nvidia navigate that encounter. AMD could be nearly a late “late”. Will Nvidia keep prices high? If not, will amd firesale a 500mm2 chip a la Hawaii?

It’s going to get interesting.

• Mat3

Huh? I expect consumer cards at retail when it’s launched next month.

• Demetri

From Raja:

“Can you game on a Radeon Vega Frontier Edition? The answer is yes, absolutely. But because this graphics card is optimized for professional use cases (and priced accordingly), if gaming is your primary reason for buying a GPU, I’d suggest waiting just a little while longer for the lower-priced, gaming-optimized Radeon RX Vega graphics card. You’ll be glad you did.”

[url<]http://pro.radeon.com/en-us/vega-frontier-edition/[/url<]

• Demetri

Not liking what I saw from that Sniper Elite demo they just did. 1080ti should do better than that, and this is in a title where the Fury X beats a 1070.

I’m not expecting too much from Vega, and I’m not expecting retail availability of Vega until Late August, even so this is good news.

What truly matters to me is Freesync 85HZ+ at 2560×1440 and Polaris isn’t quite there. I don’t even care if the 1080 is still the better product, I love adaptive sync and none of the nice G-Sync monitors are even remotely affordable. The Acer one I use is a horrid TN panel yet there are VA and IPS options with freesync that don’t suffer the stupid G-Sync tax. The nice the monitor, the more horrendous the G-Sync tax seems to become :\

• Topinio

++ to this, am still on a 290X because of the G-SYNC tax…

(Maybe gamer system guides with target price points should include a VRR monitor?)

• tay

The G Sync tax is a myth.

It really isn’t. There are multiple brands (AOC, Acer, to name a couple) that offer [b]identical[/i] products with only one exception. One is the G-Sync model, the other is the Freesync model.

Typical price difference – $175-250.

• cygnus1

I’m with you on that. If it can handle 1440p at a decent frame rate(closer to 100 than to 60) I plan to eBay my 1070 and buy a Vega Whatever and a free sync monitor.

• othertomperson

Maybe if AMD covered their R&D costs like Nvidia is doing they might actually be profitable. On the other hand, if Nvidia hadn’t pioneered adaptive sync as a concept years ago you wouldn’t have FreeSync so it makes sense that they have higher costs to recoup. It’s also becoming evident that that G-Sync module does have more features than simply variable refresh rate, such as processing HDR in some upcoming 4K Quantum Dot high refresh monitors.

• VincentHanna

I don’t understand whining about Async/Gsync on cards that can hit the monitor’s refresh threshold. On 4k, ok, maybe. On 2560×1440, there really isn’t a g-sync tax, because there is absolutely no point in enabling g-sync in the first place. Just get a 144hz monitor and enjoy 144hz gameplay WITHOUT Gsync.

It sounds like you haven’t used G-sync or Freesync in person yet.

Adaptive sync is better than just a constant framerate. As long as the framerate is high enough, I don’t really care about it. What you have to experience in person (because it’s hard to put into words) is the smoothness of the animation. Even at 144fps on a 144Hz monitor, game engines don’t necessarily render a sequence of frames exactly at exactly 1/144th intervals. If the game is rendering internally at 200-250fps, you’re going to be stalling animation frames and discarding animations frames all over the place and even at 144Hz, you notice this judder and chop. It’s not too dissimilar to the old SLI/Crossfire microstutter.

I’d choose G-Sync or Freesync at ~50fps over a 85Hz fixed Vsync any day of the week. Comparing 50fps adaptive sync to 144Hz fixed vsync is not sensible; You can do one with a $200 graphics card, but constant 144fps in the same game at the same settings will likely require a $650 graphics card or two.

• K-L-Waster

Hopefully their CTO being named Mark [b<]Paper[/b<]master isn't indicative of a paper launch incoming? <I'l... see myself out.../>

• UberGerbil

AMD has genuinely new CPU tech for the first time in years and we’re still doing jokes from 2011?

• LostCat

Some jokes never die (see Crysis) even if we wish they would.

• UberGerbil

Yeah, and you probably think this launch is about you.

• LostCat

All of them are!

• Beahmont

And yet it’s still funny!

• tsk

So they’re making 1H 2017 launch by a hair.

• UberGerbil

Close enough for the storyscaped optimized actionable synergistic ideation that is marketing.

• Redocbew

Don’t forget “differentiated” and “disruptive”.

• UberGerbil

Neither of which AMD marketing ever is 😉

• Waco

Disruptive to my sanity, maybe…

• BurntMyBacon

[quote=”Redocbew”<]Don't forget "differentiated" and "disruptive".[/quote<] [quote="Ubergerbil"<]Neither of which AMD marketing ever is ;)[/quote<] I respectfully disagree: Differentiated - Since you used absolute terms, I could disprove this by counter example, but I think it would be more humorous for you to point out an example of how they aren't differentiated. Please name a marketing team from any company that markets "the AMD way" and I will give you this one (and likely ROFLMAO). Disruptive - Every time TR reports on something from AMD marketing I can only assume a not to be named individual or two feel as if AMD is shoving hot daggers into their ears, prompting what is surely an involuntary regurgitation of all the knowledge they hold unquestioned along with nasty bits of vile and what they ate for the previous meal. This is followed by a combination of equally involuntary (and similarly unsanitary) responses and a team of comment janitors trying to clean up the mess. In conclusion, I'd say AMD marketing is both differentiated and disruptive, but perhaps not always in a beneficial way ;')

• ImSpartacus