Lenovo Legion Y920 is a mobile gaming beast

When people are shopping for a new gaming laptop, I tend to point them in the direction of MSI, Gigabyte, or Asus. If they're feeling spendy, I'll direct them to a Clevo reseller. Perhaps we shouldn't discount the big OEMs' offerings entirely, though. Lenovo's latest luggable, the Legion Y920 gaming laptop, ticks a lot of boxes on the "high-end gaming laptop" application form.

In this 17" laptop, you get a Core i7-7700HQ or Core i7-7820HK CPU, a GeForce GTX 1070, and a 75 Hz IPS G-Sync display. Unfortunately, that display only has a resolution of 1920×1080. Still, the potent mobile GeForce should have no problem keeping framerates high at that size. The system comes standard with 16GB of RAM, as well as a dual-storage configuration comprising a 512GB SSD and a 1TB hard drive.

In case the built-in display isn't good enough for you, Lenovo includes DisplayPort and HDMI connections, plus a Thunderbolt 3-enabled USB Type-C jack. Chips from Killer power both the Gigabit Ethernet and Wi-Fi connections. Lenovo says the 90 WHr battery should provide up to five hours of run-time, although it doesn't say what exactly you can do in that time frame. Our money's not on "gaming at full blast."

The Legion Y920 is fundamentally an update of the Ideapad Y900 the company showed last year at CES. It brings forward the "fully mechanical" keyboard, this time with per-key RGB LED backlighting. The laptop also has a dedicated Turbo button to enable an unspecified factory overclock, though that's restricted to the model with the Core i7-7820HK. The Y920 has massive cooling vents on the bottom and back side underneath the display, so it should be able to stay cool.

The fact that the Legion Y920 is some 1.4" thick will probably help with cooling, too. Computer Shopper reports that the device has a 16.7" x 12.4" footprint and that it weighs over 10 lbs (or 4.5 kg).  If you like the look of Lenovo's hardware, the laptop should be available next month starting at $2700.

• Demetri

“Unfortunately, that display only has a resolution of 1920×1080″

On a 17” display? I think that’s plenty…

• brucek2

“Unfortunately” seems like an unfortunate word here. The 1070 might be able to drive 1440p in some scenarios but 1080p is the surer bet for smooth gameplay over the life of this laptop. It’s also less likely to require desktop application scaling, support for which is still far from universal. And it will contribute to longer battery life.

I’ve got no quarrel with anyone who makes an informed choice one way or the other, but for the review to assume that 1080 is always wrong is naive. If anything, it’s probably the more suitable default choice for most users. I’m skeptical that the lower resolution is even casually noticeable for most users in most situations.

• RAGEPRO

Those are fair points.

As the owner of a mobile GTX 1070 (remember, it has more functional units than the desktop version), I can assure you that it handles 2560×1440 just fine even in AAA titles. I don’t think we “assume[d] that 1080 is always wrong”; rather, for a laptop with these specs at this price point, 1080p @ 75 Hz is at the very least unfortunate if not bad. This is just my opinion, but I think it really should have had a 120Hz+ refresh rate, or a 2560×1440 screen.

Yeah at 2700 bucks I’d hope that I could at least have a high-DPI display for non-gaming tasks and older games. 1440p at minimum, 4K preferably (so I could just use 200% scaling)

I don’t think 1080p@17″ is a problem on a laptop, but the low refresh rate is a waste of the GPU for current games, and given that Scorpio and PS4Pro are extending the current console generations, the 1070 will likely be overkill at 1080p for several years.

At least a 144Hz panel would have been better suited to gaming. At this price, there’s no excuse for a 1080p 75Hz panel, even ignoring the competition (which is dumb, FYI).

• NovusBogus

It totally is, and it also means better battery life. This is a big problem with the Dell XPS line. Of course, anyone buying a 17″ laptop probably isn’t worried about portability…

• southrncomfortjm

Thanks. I think I’ll stick with my $800 Dell with a 960m for a bit longer.

• Anton Kochubey

I recently replaced mine with a $2000 Dell with a GTX 1050 (the XPS 15) – and have no regrets. At 2 kg and with 8+ hours battery life, it makes those 5 kg gaming laptops look just plain silly.

And if $2000 is too much to stomach, the Inspiron 7000 Gaming line has a GTX 1050 for that $800-900 range.

• UberGerbil

…and then we got to the price.

Yeah, [i<]starting[/i<] at $2700? Quad core, GTX1070, 1080p? That is not a $2700 product. In fact it's a full thousand dollars more expensive than equal or higher spec options from HP Omen, Acer Predator, and Asus ROG. The going rate for these things is $1700 base spec, up to around $3000 for all the bells and whistles.

• christos_thski

Ridiculous price. Is Lenovo charging extra for all the malware, rootkits and outright spyware their competitors don’t include?

• Wilko

I’m pretty sure even MSI’s more ludicrous options are better deals than this.

That price is throwing me for a loop.

• NovusBogus

For that kind of money I’d definitely take a Sager for a lot less, or a corporate grade tank for slightly less. Someone should tell Lenovo that it’s not 2005 anymore, you can’t charge twice as much because zomg gaming brand.

• KMoore171

Buying from a middle man supplier can sometimes help with that. Whether or new or refurbished items, components wise anyway (Graphics cards etc.). One I’ve used before is [url<]http://www.ampronix.com[/url<] they're for the most part medical, but have some nice accessories for boosting your unit.